Temp On The 6.0? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temp On The 6.0?

What Is The Normal Operating Ect On A 6.0 I Have Been Monitoring My Eot And My Ect And On A 100+ Day In Traffic @ Red Lights Idleing Frequently My Ect Has Been As High As 211 Eot Is Allways Cooler Than Ect So I Dont Think I Have A Oil Cooler Problem And On The Open Road My Ect Drops Back To 193 Or So Has Anyone Added A Electric Pusher Fan In Front Of The Ac Condensor And If So Did It Help In Idleing Trafic Thinking About Adding The Fan And Dont See Where It Would Hurt But Will It Help
JOHN 3:16
timbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a similar problem on my 06 F250. I recently reached 241 deg oil temps. My engine ran cooler at 215 during 110 temps outside. The problems began while on the highway up hill not pulling anything. What was your outcome?
sealsgonz5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

If Your Oil Temp Is More Than 25 Degrees More Than Your Coolant Temp Your Oil Cooler Is Probubly Plugged You Need To Have That Checked Or You Will Blow A Head Gasket And A Egr Cooler This Is Pretty Serious I Would Not Drive Far Like That 241 Is Really Hot I HAVE NEVER SEEN MORE THAN 211 WITH MINE

Last edited by timbo2; 08-17-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: ADDED
Old 08-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

anyone have any input
Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

6.0 oil temps.

Thanks for the info. I recently had the Banks 6 gun diesel tunner installed. I hope I dont run into any warranty issues when I go to the dealer.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo2 View Post
anyone have any input
timbo -

It does not seem like you have an issue to me. I do not feel that a "pusher fan" would do anything but restrict the OEM fan if it ever had to come on. The diesel engine typically will not heat up at idle. ECT at 211 is not an issue. The thermostat is not fully open until 190. I wonder if you have a placement issue on your thermocouples. The engine coolant cools the oil through a heat exchanger. When everything is at operating conditions, your oil temp will almost always be above your coolant temp (it has to be).

sealsgonz5 - you definitely have an oil cooler or EGR cooler restriction (cooling water side).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

[quote=bismic;1769709]timbo -

It does not seem like you have an issue to me. I do not feel that a "pusher fan" would do anything but restrict the OEM fan if it ever had to come on. The diesel engine typically will not heat up at idle. ECT at 211 is not an issue. The thermostat is not fully open until 190. I wonder if you have a placement issue on your thermocouples. The engine coolant cools the oil through a heat exchanger. When everything is at operating conditions, your oil temp will almost always be above your coolant temp (it has to be).

THANKS FOR YOU RESPONSE YOU SAID THERMOCOUPLES WHAT ARE REFUREING TO (SENDING UNITS?) I WAS MONTERING THRU THE PCM THRU THE OEM SENDERS.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

I assumed that you had aftermarket gauges - mainly because I am not used to the EOT being below the ECT. I suppose it can happen though. Definitely wouldn't be concerned.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Typical running around town in the 90's here, I average 190-195 ECT, with EOT a couple degrees below or at the same number. Coolant filter installed since 40 miles, so hopefully my oil cooler isn't a filter right now.

During our 2008 Summer Desert Trip, I reached EOT/ECT temps of around 250 degrees pulling my Toy on my car hauler out of the Colorada river valley near Bullhead City, AZ.

EOT is measured by aftermarket gauge with the temp sender on top of the oil filter cap (oil bypass line) and the ECT is measured with the Scangauge II OBD II reader/gauge unit.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Tepms.

Thanks for all the info. I recently had the Banks econo mind (not the six gun) installed in my truck along with monster exhaust, ram air and, air filter. I also got the PDA to monitor all of the temps LOVE IT!. I dropped my truck off at the dealer yesterday an discovered that the EGR is on their TBS board as a part to be removed and cleaned causing the problems I am expiriencing. You would think they would have come up with something to resolve this rather than let it run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albin View Post
Typical running around town in the 90's here, I average 190-195 ECT, with EOT a couple degrees below or at the same number. Coolant filter installed since 40 miles, so hopefully my oil cooler isn't a filter right now.

During our 2008 Summer Desert Trip, I reached EOT/ECT temps of around 250 degrees pulling my Toy on my car hauler out of the Colorada river valley near Bullhead City, AZ.

EOT is measured by aftermarket gauge with the temp sender on top of the oil filter cap (oil bypass line) and the ECT is measured with the Scangauge II OBD II reader/gauge unit.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

just hosed down the rad and all the coolers, there was a surprisingly large amount of dirt and crap on the rad, this has dropped by temps on highway by almost 10*. Still run 205-210 in city traffic. Outside temp is only high 70's low 80's.

Do you have any load on the truck? I'm running with a slide in unit for work, weighs around 3500 lb.

Doug
2007 F-350 Crew Cab DRW 4X4 4.10LS, MBRP 4" Cool Duals turbo back, SCT/ custom tunes from Elite Diesel, Autometer gauges EGT, Trans, Fuel Pressure, MSD Dash hawk OBD II reader for ECT,EOT,Voltage and Boost, Dieselsite coolant filter,EGR delete
dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

No, I typically pull local miles nothing for long periods around 5k. However, My problems began with high oil temps. I had to have the oil cooler replaced because it was clogged. I discovered that the normal oil temp should be around 209 with a 15 deg diffrence between the engine temp and the oil temp. My truck is at the dealer right now where the egr is being replaced. You could be running into problems in the future causing damage to your egr and head gasket. Your truck sounds like mine did a few months ago when I began having these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjpr View Post
just hosed down the rad and all the coolers, there was a surprisingly large amount of dirt and crap on the rad, this has dropped by temps on highway by almost 10*. Still run 205-210 in city traffic. Outside temp is only high 70's low 80's.

Do you have any load on the truck? I'm running with a slide in unit for work, weighs around 3500 lb.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.