thermostat operation - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thermostat operation

Hi guys,while i was out of town I had my truck in to have it flushed and the coolant replaced with ECL and I had a new thermostat to be installed. while on the road they called to say it was done and gave me the price. they were charging me for the coolant. I said to look at their work order. I was providing the coolant and they thermostat was to be replaced and I was providing that also. I got "OH". and that it would be ready a day later. Now I am having doubts as to whether they actually changed my thermostat, let alone the ELC. So can someone tell me what my water temps should look like. I have a scan guage. I think I should hit 190 degrees and pretty much stay at 190. if that is not true let me know.
thanks, alex
03 XLT F350, CC, Toreador red/silver ,6.0, Auto 4X4, Extang Tonneau. Magnaflow xl turbo back, homemade headlight harness, VR shackles ,harpooned tank, 24" wipers, X-Monitor,FS bypass filter, Energy Suspension sway bar replacement bushings, Sinister coolant filter,HID fogs, scanguage.
alex3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3 View Post
Hi guys,while i was out of town I had my truck in to have it flushed and the coolant replaced with ECL and I had a new thermostat to be installed. while on the road they called to say it was done and gave me the price. they were charging me for the coolant. I said to look at their work order. I was providing the coolant and they thermostat was to be replaced and I was providing that also. I got "OH". and that it would be ready a day later. Now I am having doubts as to whether they actually changed my thermostat, let alone the ELC. So can someone tell me what my water temps should look like. I have a scan guage. I think I should hit 190 degrees and pretty much stay at 190. if that is not true let me know.
thanks, alex
OEM thermostat begins to open at 195f, and fully opens by 218f. If up to operating temp (EOT over 190f), you should not see ECTs below 188f to 190f. If the ECT is below 188f or so, your thermostat is weak and is likely allowing coolant to circulate, as they fail in the open position.
ARP Studs & O-ring Heads
DC Power 190a upper and DB Electric 200a lower alt
275/65/20 Toyo MTs
7,000LB Ford Coils
Dual F450 Auxillary Springs
ICON 1" TEI Spacer
ICON Adjustable Track Bar
ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer
ICON Alignment Cams
Bilstein 5100s
EDGE Insight CTS with EGT
Delo 5W40 Synthetic
Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
Banks Monster Exhaust
Zerex ELC
skanj0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
OEM thermostat begins to open at 195f, and fully opens by 218f. If up to operating temp (EOT over 190f), you should not see ECTs below 188f to 190f. If the ECT is below 188f or so, your thermostat is weak and is likely allowing coolant to circulate, as they fail in the open position.

Hmm so I take it mine may need to be replaced since the ECT was 182 and the EOT was 193 and pretty much stayed there for a 40 min ride at 65-70 MPH
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes yours may need to be replaced. These motors run better on the warm side than the cool side. Mine at 60mph ECT 192-194* EOT 196-198* flat groung pulling my 5er add 10* to each.
2 stroker
Sinister Fuel Pressure Adapter
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
WOT 58lbs Idle 62-64lbs Just Right
HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
Ford Cetane boost every fillup
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System
Dieselsite Boots
Delo ELC Coolant
Tow Command
Upfitter Switches
Pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
Roll-N-Lock bed cover
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB (sold it)
1700 Super Chip
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp-4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A pillar EGT,Boost,Trans
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well I looked last night and there is a new thermostat in. However it is doing the same as the old one. The temps will slowly climb and get near 184 by the time I get to work ~1/2 hour and 17 miles. the same with the EOT. Outside air temp about 32. So now I wondering if I am looking at either the wrong points or if I have a different problem.
03 XLT F350, CC, Toreador red/silver ,6.0, Auto 4X4, Extang Tonneau. Magnaflow xl turbo back, homemade headlight harness, VR shackles ,harpooned tank, 24" wipers, X-Monitor,FS bypass filter, Energy Suspension sway bar replacement bushings, Sinister coolant filter,HID fogs, scanguage.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Is your fan running all the time?
'85 Porsche 911 Carrera
'66 Porcshe 911 long term project
'76 Jeep CJ7 current project
Mackskibum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackskibum View Post
Is your fan running all the time?
Good question, though not sure why it would. I believe the fan clutches fail in the "no fan" mode versus "full fan" mode. If it is stuck engaged that could help explain an overly-cool ECT.

My bet is the mechanic pulled the old thermostat to flush the system and then put it back on without replacing it. My truck used to run cool (low 180s) until I changed the thermostat.
ARP Studs & O-ring Heads
DC Power 190a upper and DB Electric 200a lower alt
275/65/20 Toyo MTs
7,000LB Ford Coils
Dual F450 Auxillary Springs
ICON 1" TEI Spacer
ICON Adjustable Track Bar
ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer
ICON Alignment Cams
Bilstein 5100s
EDGE Insight CTS with EGT
Delo 5W40 Synthetic
Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
Banks Monster Exhaust
Zerex ELC
skanj0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

No. I can't say if I've ever heard the fan running. And unless they shined yp the old thermo before putting it in, the new one is in. Maybe I'll verify the new one I have on the stove to see if it opens at 190 and the replace the one that is in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.