torque spec on ARP studs for 6.0; 3rd HG job - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
torque spec on ARP studs for 6.0; 3rd HG job

Can't find my install sheet.... who knows it? Just back from dealer,..... 3rd time HG's gone with ARPs after first time and ARPs and fire ringed heads 3rd time. Unbelievable.....

Goodies Below:
6" FABTECH 4 Link Lift; FABTECH Dirt Logic 4.0 Coilover front; FABTECH Dirt Logic 2.5 w/reservoir rear; FABTECH traction bars; FABTECH dual steering stabilizer dl 2.25; American Racing 20x10 Chrome Trax 8; BFG AT 37x12.5x20; Line-X; Mag-Hytec Rear Cover; AIC Engauged; Bypass Coolant Filter; Banks Monster Exhaust Turbo Back; Issipro 05 SD 3 Gauge set on A-pillar wood grain; Coolant temp gauge, Washed Badges; Billet Gas Cap Cover; WeatherTech Window Vents; Precision 6 piece grill; Lund Stainless Interceptor hood guard; Line of Fire LED tail lights/turn signals; Rhino Chrome step bars wheel to wheel; Retrax tonneau cover; X-treme Rack; Bushwacker OE Flares; ARP Head Studs; ZOODAD Mod, Fire Ringed Heads by Elite, XCal3 by Innovative, Spearco IC, .456 gears, Fabtech Hydraulic bump stops, Mag-Hytec front diff cover.
red_georgia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Well I wish I still had the install directions, but it should be 240.

I beleive it was done in three steps, 80, 160, 240 following the factory head bolt install sequence.

If you don't get a reply with an absolute positive answer, you can call ARP and they should be able to help you out pretty easily.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

ARP tech support in Ventura, CA has some really helpful engineers. I've called them twice on other cars and they were always good for an answer. Does Ford call for Loctite in the block like some aluminum blocks. Is there is a set height above the deck for the 6.0? On my P-car blocks sometimes they can turn when torqued throwing off the torque value if not set in Loctite.

02 F150 XLT Super Cab-135K
07 Toyota Highlander-35K
2Tight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
I've used the ARP tech line numerous times for my various engine builds for race cars.

My BIG question; how are you busting head gaskets the 3rd time with the motor studded? Big boost, blocked egr cooler???

I have blown gaskets now and I really don't want to replace only to toast them again in a few thousand miles. I bought the diesel b/c drive them.
2005 250SC FX4 6.0L 3.73's, ARP Head studs, '03 Turbo, '07 turbo drain tube, AFE PRO Stage 3, Edge Insight; MBRP Turbo back cool duals, SCT X3 Programmer with my custom tune, CFM Carbon Fiber Inlet, coolant filter, Boss 8' Pro Poly, Wheelen hide-a-way strobes, Sho-me LED's.
kys03rigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

What's the point of having ARP studs if your still blowing head gaskets? I was under the impression that was the one stop fix all for the problem. I wonder if your heads are warped?
cthehentz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've asked myself the same question.....how is it possible a third time with with ARPs and fire ringed heads? The 2nd time was with ARPs alone that were added the first time after stock. It IS NOT A COOLER ISSUE....trust me. AS for warped heads, these were fire ringed heads from Elite..... would think they were flat when installed. I had an injector problem for about 18 months (installed with the fire ringed heads) and HG's held but was very inefficient and very hot not making power correctly. Finally had to go back to stock injectors..... first long tow of 10Klbs up 6% grade making efficient power on stock programming I blew coolant. Now, if towing and I go above 20lbs boost it will blow. My hope at this point is the heads weren't torqued correctly. ARP says 265 is good with the fire ringed heads. Going to try that first one bolt at a time without removing heads and see. Ford won't touch it at this point because it is all aftermarket.......even though there first stock repair under warranty failed the first time I towed afterwards. Only other thing I can think of is that it is a bad block or just plain lemon motor with some undiagnosable reason it keeps doing it. 3 times just doesn't make sense.......with ARPs and Fire Ringed Heads and no cooler issues.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very well could be an issue with the block. Did they test it for flatness when the heads were off?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

doubtful...but no way of knowing.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Im in the prosses in replacing head gaskets for the fourth time on customers truck,blown 2 times on warrenty and once now with arp studs,block is straight,heads are warped badly at #4 cyl and #5 cyl ,replacing heads with complete new heads from ford this time hope its cured now, only made it 44,000km
1996 F350 CREW CAB,37"tires,2003 hpop,160CC injectors,electric fuel system.malery pressure reg.6.0 intercooler,sd bd turbo,sd 3 in intakes ,tw 4 pos. chip,gauges,tcc disconect,mod.e4od,rear detroit,20,000remote cooler,baja fiberglass body panels,stage 3 methanol...............
NORTHRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

You NEED to get the heads and block checked for flatness. If not, you might as well go out in the middle of the street and light off 500 $1 bills. The best head gaskets and studs can not cure flatness problems.

2006 F-250 PSD, Lariat
Mods: All the usual stuff

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry" - Mark Twain
dieselmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.