Torqueshift Transmission Fluid...??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torqueshift Transmission Fluid...???

I know the manual to my 2006 Ford say to use Mercon SP... Can I use Mobil 1 Synthetic in it.... It says it meats all mercon requirements...

Has anyone used anything other than this Ford mercon sp???
Thank you
06 F-250, 6" Rize Lift w/ 13.5" of travel, Dirt logic 14" Travil Shocks, 325/65/18 Hancook DYNAPRO MT, 4.30 Motorsport Gears, 5" Shop Diesel Turbo Back Exhaust, 55 Gallon Fuel Tank, 4x9inch HID lights on a Custom (Custom=Redneck) Winch Bumper, Autometer Electric Gauges, SCT (Best Mod Yet), CFM BigMouth intercooler pipe and intake, 10k miles to go before the power is unleashed...
patrickrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Don't do it. The solenoids (all seven of them!) are VERY sensitive to fluids. You could end up having to replace the $olenoid$ from damage caused by the wrong fluid. Use only a fluid that says MERCON SP.

While I am a big fan of Mobil 1, it is not the right fluid for a TorqShift.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check this out... Amsoil makes a universal fluid that says it can be used with Mercon V and SP....

It just seams to me for is trying to make an extra buck by making us buy THEIR Fluid...???

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is completely compatible with other synthetic and petroleum automatic transmission fluids. AMSOIL ATF is a universal, multi-functional fluid that greatly reduces the need for specialized fluid inventories and the possibilities of misapplication.

AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:
  • GM DEXRON® II, III & VI
  • Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V & SP
  • Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4®
  • Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
  • Toyota Type T and T-IV
  • Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
  • Allison C-3, C-4
  • Caterpillar TO-2
  • Voith G607, G1363
  • ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
  • Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
  • BMW 7045E<LI class=style1>NAG 1 & 2
  • JWS 3309
  • LT 71141 (ESSO)
  • Nissan Matic D, J & K
  • Vickers I-286S & M-2950S Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.
    Not for use in CVT transmissions.
06 F-250, 6" Rize Lift w/ 13.5" of travel, Dirt logic 14" Travil Shocks, 325/65/18 Hancook DYNAPRO MT, 4.30 Motorsport Gears, 5" Shop Diesel Turbo Back Exhaust, 55 Gallon Fuel Tank, 4x9inch HID lights on a Custom (Custom=Redneck) Winch Bumper, Autometer Electric Gauges, SCT (Best Mod Yet), CFM BigMouth intercooler pipe and intake, 10k miles to go before the power is unleashed...
Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Screw it... I'll just take it to the Dealer... Better flushing it out anyhow...
Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know, I paid less then $4 a quart for my SP. Isn't that less then Amsoil or Mobil 1?

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is cheaper but I have a rather large racing background and I am just hung up on mobil 1... It has always been good to me so I use it...
I was just wondering if it has been used by anyone, I can get the Mobil 1 pretty much at cost every now and then so I was going to put in the order... To many folks don't recomend it though...

I just can't see how the SP can be so much different than something like Mobil 1... I'm not a big Automatic Tranny guy either so I'll leave it to the Pros...

Thanks all...
Patrick
Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrc51 View Post
Check this out... Amsoil makes a universal fluid that says it can be used with Mercon V and SP....

It just seams to me for is trying to make an extra buck by making us buy THEIR Fluid...???

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is completely compatible with other synthetic and petroleum automatic transmission fluids. AMSOIL ATF is a universal, multi-functional fluid that greatly reduces the need for specialized fluid inventories and the possibilities of misapplication.

AMSOIL ATF is recommended for transmission, hydraulic and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:
  • GM DEXRON® II, III & VI
  • Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V & SP
  • Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4®
  • Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
  • Toyota Type T and T-IV
  • Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
  • Allison C-3, C-4
  • Caterpillar TO-2
  • Voith G607, G1363
  • ZF TE-ML 14A, 14B, 14C
  • Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
  • BMW 7045E<LI class=style1>NAG 1 & 2
  • JWS 3309
  • LT 71141 (ESSO)
  • Nissan Matic D, J & K
  • Vickers I-286S & M-2950S Excellent for power steering units that use ATF.
    Not for use in CVT transmissions.

Mercron and Mercron V are not compatible with Mercron SP (look in your owners manual). So now there is a Universal fluid that is compatible with darn near everything?...kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

I'm really curious to how this is possible and still retain the properties of original SP, which is what your tranny calls for...anyone know?

Maybe I'm being too skeptical...somebody convince me, because those claims are close to snake oil in nature (ie. cures everything).

Special Thanks to: Trucktoyzperformance, Autometer, Rize Industries, MBRP, Line-X of Friendswood TX, Accufab Racing, Painless Performance, Retrax, OilGuard, and DC Customs

Also brought to you by Critical Fight Gear & Suckerpunch Entertainment
Suckerpunch Entertainment

Last edited by Bear_Hunter; 04-07-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Bear_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Hunter View Post
Mercron and Mercron V are not compatible with Mercron SP (look in your owners manual). So now there is a Universal fluid that is compatible with darn near everything?...kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

I'm really curious to how this is possible and still retain the properties of original SP, which is what your tranny calls for...anyone know?

Maybe I'm being too skeptical...somebody convince me, because those claims are close to snake oil in nature (ie. cures everything).
Take notice of the wording (COMPATIBLE and RECOMMENDED). That doesn,t mean they will cover your warrenty when Ford denies it for using the improper fluid, which is called out in your manual, in your Torqueshift.

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
DRJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ48 View Post
Take notice of the wording (COMPATIBLE and RECOMMENDED).
That is a good point. Kind of like how water is compatible with milk

Human nature is funny...Lets say Ford developed the Torqushift and it took Universal fluid

....Then lets say a company comes out with a "special" fluid that is developed especially for that tranny....then called is "SP". You would see so many people switching from the Universal to the special.

Now we all know the reverse is true.....The point being a lot of people get suckered by marketing.

Special Thanks to: Trucktoyzperformance, Autometer, Rize Industries, MBRP, Line-X of Friendswood TX, Accufab Racing, Painless Performance, Retrax, OilGuard, and DC Customs

Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

You guys are reading way too much into the wording. The wording is just what it is; nothing more, nothing less.

The alternative is to say it's the same, which it's not so compatible makes sense, and recommended for applications they detail, also makes sense. Amsoil isn't voodoo.

And look harder, you'll find the verbiage pertaining to warranty and fluid application. Not that it really does much for you. Think about an actual event of damage and repair etc. It's like a home warranty, it sounds nice to have, but not always real practical.

And yes, I use Amsoil in a lot of stuff, just not my truck, and I let the dealer flush-fill it with Motorcraft SP just because it's the best way to change it, and it's competitively priced and frankly, I don't see any reason not so stick with the MC SP which is synthetic.

Just don't get caught up in the "Amsoil is voodoo and trickery" BS.

"Treat me good, I'll treat you better; treat me bad, I'll treat you worse." - Sonny Barger
FamilyRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRide View Post
The alternative is to say it's the same, which it's not so compatible makes sense,
According to them which is how I read it...hence my analogy of water and milk. Oil and water are not the same, and it sure isn't compatible...so that does not make sense.

Show me a 3rd party analysis (not associated with Amsoil) where their Universal fluid meets or exceeds SP specs. Like I said, it does not pass the common sense test. How does a fluid meet specs of everything...to include fluids specifically mentioned in the Ford Owners manual as not compatible (Mercron, MercronV and SP)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRide View Post

And yes, I use Amsoil in a lot of stuff, just not my truck, and I let the dealer flush-fill it with Motorcraft SP just because it's the best way to change it, and it's competitively priced and frankly, I don't see any reason not so stick with the MC SP which is synthetic.

Just don't get caught up in the "Amsoil is voodoo and trickery" BS.
So do I...I use their gear oil and have been very happy with it.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

I use Amsoil in everything including my transmission and have yet to have any problems, it upshifts and downshifts just like it did with the SP in it.
mowtown77410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Motown,

That's great... and I don't doubt that it does.

Remember when the 6.0 was new? I remember reading several posts where people discovered that their dealership put MERCRON V in it, and it also worked just fine.... What are the long term effects? Yes, the Torqueshift ran on fluid that was not compatible....over time, how much longer would the tranny have lasted if the correct fluid was used?

I'm just asking what I consider to be reasonable questions. I'm not trying to be an azz..

Is this Universal Fluid certified to meet SP specs (by somebody other than AMSOIL)? Maybe it's just me, but when a claim or study is made by the same people who make the product, it becomes suspect (there is a conflict of interest)....especially when they refuse to get an official certification, and simple things don't make sense....How can a fluid meet the specs of everything to include known fluids that are not compatible with each other? (MERCRON/MERCRON V & SP).

Quote:
Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS)
API's Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) is a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers who meet specified requirements to use the API Engine Oil Quality Marks—the API Service Symbol "Donut" and Certification Mark "Starburst." This program is a cooperative effort between the oil industry and vehicle and engine manufacturers Ford, General Motors, and DaimlerChrysler; the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association; and the Engine Manufacturers Association. Performance requirements, test methods, and limits are cooperatively established by vehicle and engine manufacturers, technical societies like the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and industry associations like the American Chemistry Council and API. Oils meeting these requirements are recommended by vehicle manufacturers.

Last edited by Bear_Hunter; 04-09-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

THANK YOU....
All I wanted was some answers like that...

Dang, alot of folks here need to pop-a-top an a beer and relax a bit...

Thanks all,
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.