tow haul - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tow haul

HI to everyone. I have a question in my 05. 6.0motor i have tow haul just like everyone else, and i have used it every time i pull my 10,000 lb 5th wheel except the last time, and i noticed that it doesnot down shift hardly at all, compared to when it is in tow haul mode. in tow haul if i push down on the excellerator just a little bit it drops a gear or 2, if i am approaching a small incline not in tow haul i can build up a little speed before i get to the incline and even back off a little to over come the hill with out down shifting. I have watched the trans temp gauge on dash it has never moved, I also now in tow haul it helps you break a great deal, so I thing i am better off on the open road with out tow haul, but going through town with tow haul. what are your thoughts, Thank you.
larwar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
You can't hurt anything either way. If you like it better with tow/haul off, drive it that way. You can turn tow/haul on or off at any speed.

The trans temp gauge will stay right in the middle any time the trans temp is more than 50F and less than 230F.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

You need a seperate set of guages to tell what your trans temp really is. If you are towing you also need a exhaust temp gauage was well. These are just some examples, there are several others out there.
I like using tow/haul because of the engine brake.

Performance Gauges & Gauge Pods GlowShift Gauges - Boost Wideband Air Fuel Gauges
Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
BNB

I like the engine braking capability as well. Does anyone else get concerned when seeing around 3500 rpms downhill? I know that max rpm is supposed to be 4100 or so.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lubbockguy1979
I actually prefer to use tow haul only in towns to slow down. On hills if you roll into the throttle and build boost before the hill you will put a lot less work on the truck and be able to pull hills. I recomend gauges! Stock you can get the egts pretty high towing. Also as stated before the trans temp on the dash dosent tell you much of anything. Your tranny will be toast a lot faster than that gauge will ever let know
auto, electric tcase
soon to have isspro
fire/air/trans/fuel
stock suspension and
pretty much everything
else
lubbockguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
tow haul

larwar,
I recently installed a DieselManor Isspro gauge set, (EGT, trans temp and boost). I have experimented with the tow haul on and without on my daily route to work and back. The previous posters are correct about the stock trans temp gauge not being an accurate indicator of temp during hill pulling, I climb a 7% grade that is 9 miles long to get home and the stock gauge never moves from mid position. The Isspro temp gauge starts climbing as soon as the work load increases, along with the EGT. I find the truck is probably capable of doing a melt down on this hill in stock condition let alone if it was modded. By this I mean the harder the truck works, the harder it seems to want to work. It has more power than I think is safe to use. Last week the afternoon ambient temps were around 100 degrees and climbing my hill the Isspro trans temp gauge climbs to around 220, EGT is at 1200 degrees and the truck has more throttle I could apply!! I think if I went to WOT meltdown would be imminent. This was using the method of building speed at the base of the hill and attacking it at 60 mph and keeping a slight increase on the throttle without causing a down shift, this method causes the highest increase in EGT and trans temp. Using the tow haul mode road speed is only slightly slower but rpm is much higher allowing a significant lower EGT, slightly lower trans temp and lower boost pressure. I also monitor my fuel mileage and have found almost identical results using the tow haul mode on my hill climb.
As a side note there is a page devoted to explaining "Gauge readings and recommendations" that is worth reading and following in the installation instructions that came with the gauges. Transmission life relative to fluid temperature is an eye opener. Shut down temp recommendation to ensure proper turbo bearing cool down is another good topic discussed.

Good luck with your PSD larwar and thanks to the other posters on this forum for helping me with the good information about gauges, coolant filters and Nitrite testing, using the Motorcraft filters, oil, fuel and air along with the fuel additive debate, trans and engine oil and finally proper coolant.
04 PSD 6.0 F-250 4x4 Lariat crew cab long bed. 4" Magnaflow exhaust with muffler and cat, Lt285/75R16 Duelers, Carryboy camper shell. Coolant filter kit. Under cubby hole 3 gauge mount, pyro, boost, and trans temp (Isspro EV).
timberline49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline49 View Post
Last week the afternoon ambient temps were around 100 degrees and climbing my hill the Isspro trans temp gauge climbs to around 220,
Where does your gauge read the trans temp? If it is anywhere except in the line to the cooler something is wrong. A TorqShift should not get anywhere near that hot when reading the temperature in the pan or the test port. That temperature is just fine if it is in the line to the cooler.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

tow haul

Mark,

The gauge sensor is installed in the high pressure test port.
The temps I reported are as indicated on the Isspro gauge set, I feel they are on the high side also. This is on a steep, long grade with tools and equipment in the bed (1,000 lbs).
The guide in the instructions states "normal operating temp range in an unloaded condition is approximately 60-80 above ambient. Cooler line or test port you can expect your readings to be higher by as much as 30 degrees".

Any ideas on lowering this would be greatly appreciated.

Truck is serviced and Motorcraft transmission external and internal filters are used along with the SP fluid, no metal or abnormal debris in the pan or on the magnet.
04 PSD 6.0 F-250 4x4 Lariat crew cab long bed. 4" Magnaflow exhaust with muffler and cat, Lt285/75R16 Duelers, Carryboy camper shell. Coolant filter kit. Under cubby hole 3 gauge mount, pyro, boost, and trans temp (Isspro EV).
Old 08-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

I suspect that there is a blocked line to or from the cooler, or the temp gauge isn't accurate.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

tow haul

larwar,
Sorry to have gone off your original topic. While explaining my experience with the tow haul Mark pointed out that I most likely have a problem with my truck.
Mark,
We should have probably done this differently, but I am new and don't know the proper protocol for a change in subject like this. I did some checking and found my furry forest friends have been hard at work blocking the front of my trucks cooling. There was nest material and a cache of acorns and dog food packed tightly in place. I took the grill out and was able to clean up the most of it, then with simple green and hot water washed the whole area. A lot of dirt and other debris every where.

Well now the results we have all been waiting for.... 185 was as high as the trans temp got on my hill today.

Thanks Mark,
You earned mega points for this in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.