Tow Haul Flashing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tow Haul Flashing

This evening driving home my 2005 F350 6.0 automatic the tow haul light started flashing and the instrument panel display said CHECK TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE. I looked at the gauge and it was showing stone cold. When the instrument panel display was clear I pressed info and reset to check systems and it said transmission temperature OK. I pulled over into a parking lot and crawled under the truck and carefully felt the transmission pan and it was warm but not uncomfortably so. Could it have a cooler bypass valve stuck open or possibly a bad sensor. Later while driving the gauge moved up a little above cold briefly and went back to stone cold. Anyone had this experience?

Thanks,
Bob
TBROKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to yfz450mx58
Re: Tow Haul Flashing

happened to my truck...but it was jerking heavily. and not to long after my tranny blew up..it normaly did it between changing files on the tuner or something of that nature.
2005 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab Ridin on black 20s
2004 f-350 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat
2003 ford excursion 7.3 140k miles (traded for f-150)
2000 ford excursion 7.3 285k miles still kickin!
2000 ford f-550 7.3 centurion conversion (sold)
2000 dodge 2500 V10 4x4 6" lift (sold)
1997 E-350 work truck 350K miles still kickin!
yfz450mx58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBROKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could it have a cooler bypass valve stuck open or possibly a bad sensor. </div></div>
There's a thermostat inside the trans that diverts fluid from the cooler when it's cold. It's possible, but not likely that this is the problem.

Most likely it is the temperature sensor. There's a code stored in the TCM that will tell why the tow/haul was flashing. It takes the right type of scan tool to read it, so you might have to go to a dealer to get the code read. Don't believe it if someone tries to read the codes and says there isn't one. That just means their scan tool can't read it. When the tow/haul flashes a code is stored and stays in the memory for about a month.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Mark,

I took it to the dealer this morning and the service writer just called to tell me that the problem is the temperature sensor. What I expected from the way the gauge was acting.

Thanks,
Bob
TBROKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good to hear nothing real bad. My 03 started showing a high temp. reading, the tow, haul blinks and the check light is on, I have an appointment monday to have it checked, I have 94,000 on the truck, its been good to me,,,,,,,,Tim
Old 12-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm Having similar issues with my truck. Does anyone know where the factory trans temp sensor is located?

2003 F350 Lariat S/C 4x4 LB 6.0L, ATS Stage-V Trans, Amsoil Torque Drive ATF Fluid, Livewire SCT Flash, Stage II Injectors, VGT-SS Turbo, Fire Ring Heads W/Studs, Stage I Fuel System, All By Elite-Diesel Engineering, Air Dog FP-100, AFE Stage II Intake, FX4, Camper Package, Dual Alternators, XM-Radio, Cab Lights, C-Betr Mirrors, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Diamond Plate Side-Rails, Back Rack, Knaack 127 Saddle Box, Husky Floor Liners, Hadley Air Horns With Dual Tanks, 4 55 Watt Halogen Lights 2 Under Rear Bumper 2 Mounted On Back Rack, Galaxy DX 48T 10 Meter Radio, MBRP 4" Turbo Back to 4" Turn Out Stacks, No Muffler X-Springs, Rickson Haul-Rite's W/Michelin XDE MS 245/70/R19.5H, ART Brakes & Rotors, Led Sequential Turn Arrows And S\T\T Lights On Back Rack. In the works, FS-2500(Just Ordered)

03 Honda Foreman Rubicion 500 atv, Warn A2000 Winch, Cycle Country 60" Snow Plow

http://community.webshots.com/user/powerhorse
POWERHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POWERHORSE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm Having similar issues with my truck. Does anyone know where the factory trans temp sensor is located? </div></div>

In the pan on the valve body.
2003 F-250SD XLT X-Cab short box March 03 6.0L Torque shift, manual 4x4 superwinch hubs, 121,000 miles,315/75/16 BF Goodrich mud terrains, autometer boost/fuel psi/tranny temp, AFE 4" straight pipe, tire clearance and guage photos
weasel79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.