Travel trailer- charging my trailer by keeping it plugged into my truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Travel trailer- charging my trailer by keeping it plugged into my truck

How do I go about utilizing keeping my trailer plugged in to charge my trailer batteries when the trailer is plugged in it doesnt charge my trailer used to on my chevy
TADEO159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used to be able to leave my trailer plugged into my old '86 gasser and get juice. When I bought my '94 (sig) I thought the same thing until I found that there is a relay that shuts off the power feed to the trailer plug unless the key is in the "run" postition. It may be a safety feature IDK
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the input
TADEO159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
The power plug is only "hot" with key on as mentioned. If the plug on truck is "hot" all the time then you have a huge risk of having a dead truck if something on trailer is drawing current when truck is off and it killls the battery in trailer and both on truck.
What year GM truck had a continuous power feed?
Also, your trucks power feed to trailer plug is fused and uses an underhood relay. If it is not "hot" with key on then check those items.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
The power plug is only "hot" with key on as mentioned. If the plug on truck is "hot" all the time then you have a huge risk of having a dead truck if something on trailer is drawing current when truck is off and it killls the battery in trailer and both on truck.
What year GM truck had a continuous power feed?
Also, your trucks power feed to trailer plug is fused and uses an underhood relay. If it is not "hot" with key on then check those items.
Our 2000 silverado has the constant trailer feed.
Oil & egr cooler finally died at 220K
Scot06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADEO159 View Post
How do I go about utilizing keeping my trailer plugged in to charge my trailer batteries when the trailer is plugged in it doesnt charge my trailer used to on my chevy

This is a bad idea in general, and I wouldn't recommend it unless its a total emergency. Its true you can feed power to your trailer with the truck running, but its not a good practice, unless you have a dual alternator system. The standard truck alternator is not designed to handle that kind of loading. You need to be at high, sustained rpms for the alternator to do a good job of charging. Just running at idle the truck's electrical needs are taking most of the alternators capacity with little reserve to charge the truck's batteries let alone the added draw of a trailer.

I'd highly recommend either a solar system, or a small Honda generator for maintaining your trailer's electrical systems if your in storage mode or boon-docking it. If you are in storage mode, look into a good battery tender, or upgrade your trailer's converter to one that has a charger/tender feature & hook into shore power. Whenever you are in storage, remember to check your battery(ies) on a regular basis to avoid running out of electrolyte.

This is also a good idea if you are not using your truck for more than a month or two. Its a good idea with a 6.0 to exercise it on a regular basis ( like every week or two), to keep the turbo in shape.

OMC
Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot06 View Post
Our 2000 silverado has the constant trailer feed.
Our 2000 Silverado has a relay and a 2nd battery for the trailer feed. Only the aux. battery will go flat if the trailer has a problem.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.