Truth about VC-8 coolant additives - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truth about VC-8 coolant additives

Flushing my cooling system tomorrow. Done hours of searching to find conflicting information. Does the Motorcraft Gold Coolant have the VC-8 additive already in it or do a couple bottles need to be added to any new flush. When I goto the parts dept. today to buy the coolant they say the tech's come to the counters every day for distilled water, gold coolant, and VC-8 additive.

I understand the additive must be replinished based upon test strips over time but does the initial fill with Gold Coolant and distilled water include the correct precharge of VC-8?

I'm also flushing with one quart of VC-9 iron block cleaner since my coolant has not be comprimised of oil or anything. I just want to clean whatever scaling and contaminants that I can. The TSB calls for 2 quarts for a contaminated system but should just one cover me after the simple green treatment. Thanks for the help guy's! I hope this thread can help others with the same quesiton using the search feature in the future.

-Kelly
Banshee365 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

VC-7B is what is now used. If you do a coolant flush, you do not need to add VC-8. Check your nitrile levels. If they fall below 800ppm, add VC-8.

on edit: Here's something I found in another post, maybe it'll help:

Copied from Ford Motor Company: Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Hybrids, Parts

If you do not meet the severe driving definition: (No mention of VC8)
6 years or 105,000 miles (168,000 km) - change Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (whichever comes first)
❑ After initial change - change Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant every 3 years or 45,000 miles (72,000 km)

If you meet the severe driving conditions: (Towing, which most of us do.)

It looks like you check the Nitrite level and add VC8 only when it is 800PPM or lower. When you flush with VC9 and fill the system with new VC7B you do not add VC8. You only add VC8 when nitrite level is lower than 800PPM.

Every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or
600 hours of engine operation
(whichever comes first)
Check the Nitrite level of the coolant using Fleetguard
DCA4 Test Strip Kit CC2602A to determine if recharge is
required. If the Nitrite level is above 800 ppm no action
is required. If the Nitrite level is 800 ppm or lower add
32 fl. oz. (946 mL). of Supplemental Coolant Additive
Motorcraft VC-8 or equivalent.

Every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or
1200 hours of engine operation
(whichever comes first)
Check the Nitrite level of the coolant using Fleetguard
DCA4 Test Strip Kit CC2602A to determine if recharge is
required. If the Nitrite level is above 800 ppm no action
is required. If the Nitrite level is 800 ppm or lower add
32 fl. oz. (946 mL.) of Supplemental Coolant Additive
Motorcraft VC-8 or equivalent.

Every 45,000 miles (72,000 km) or
1800 hours of operation (whichever
comes first)
Flush & refill engine coolant (refer to Motorcraft Premium
Gold Engine Coolant Change Record) – Do not add
Supplemental Coolant Additive
Note: When adding supplemental coolant additive, do not exceed the
specified maximum of 32 fl. oz. (946 mL). Operating the engine with
excessive supplemental coolant additive can cause severe engine
damage.

❑ For special operating conditions, see Special Operating Conditions at the end of this section

2004 F-350 CC DRW LB FX4 4x4
Oxford White/Arizona Beige
King Ranch
2012 Ford bed w/Factory Reese hitch option
4.10 TracLok
Reman'd 6.0L @43,956 miles
Reman'd Turbo @54,814 miles
HPOP @154,120 miles
Radiator, water pump, t-stat & hoses @168,520 miles
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
River City Diesel EGR Delete
Gutted Cat

Last edited by Strokin' 6.0; 04-15-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Strokin' 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

It was 2:30 in the morning when I was finishing up the flush. I added a quart to brand new Gold coolant. I'm thinking about draining it out of the radiator and drivers side drain plug and refilling and draining with straight distilled water for a few times then just refill with 3.5-4 gallons of gold coolant then top off with distilled water. I obviously way overcharged my cooling system and want to make it right. Does this sound like it will work? Thanks! I really don't want to remove the starter anymore to get that passangers side plug out, had enough of that yesterday!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Would one or two fill/run/drain's with distilled water suffice for getting most of the coolant and VC-8 out? I'm thinking a little VC-8 in the solution wouldn't be near as bad as how overcharged it is now. Anyone have any opinions or concerns with what I'm planning to do before a big road trip coming up? Thanks!

-Kelly
Old 04-19-2009, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Web_version
review "cooling system"
EGR SPOOL, INSULATED WRAP CAC,BUTTERFLY DELETE,ACCUFAB INLET ELBOW,MUFF TUBE,BED COVER,BREATHER VENT MOD,OB1308 BY-PASS FILTER BASE,upgrade fuel return pressure spring 30# increase, velvet ride shackles, tranny cooler/filter,COOLANT FILTER,redline wetterbetter,1704A SUPERCHIP, SCHAFFERS 9000, 22MPG EMPTY @ 55MPH in cruise. Last fill up calculated @ 18mpg Hobbies- sticking my head out the window like a dog and hauling ass on the scooter rain or shine
pigsbreath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee365 View Post
Would one or two fill/run/drain's with distilled water suffice for getting most of the coolant and VC-8 out? I'm thinking a little VC-8 in the solution wouldn't be near as bad as how overcharged it is now. Anyone have any opinions or concerns with what I'm planning to do before a big road trip coming up? Thanks!

-Kelly
I would just drain it and refill with a 50/50 mix.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

FleetGuard DCA60L DCA4 Supplemental Coolant Additive at DieselManor

Diesel Engine Coolants - [VC-8]-Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive

It is vital for the health and longevity of any diesel engine. Diesels, particularly the Ford Powerstroke

equipped with the yellow-colored Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51-A1

this may sum it up , may try this stuff!

but then again, will buy the test kit first!
EGR SPOOL, INSULATED WRAP CAC,BUTTERFLY DELETE,ACCUFAB INLET ELBOW,MUFF TUBE,BED COVER,BREATHER VENT MOD,OB1308 BY-PASS FILTER BASE,upgrade fuel return pressure spring 30# increase, velvet ride shackles, tranny cooler/filter,COOLANT FILTER,redline wetterbetter,1704A SUPERCHIP, SCHAFFERS 9000, 22MPG EMPTY @ 55MPH in cruise. Last fill up calculated @ 18mpg Hobbies- sticking my head out the window like a dog and hauling ass on the scooter rain or shine

Last edited by pigsbreath; 04-19-2009 at 11:14 AM.
pigsbreath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

According to the test strips I'm AT LEAST at 3.2 units/gallon of additive. Not good in my book, how bad is it to be this high? Tomorrow I'm going to work some math and drain/refill to get the additive down to about 1.0-1.2 units. check out the pic. My coolant is pretty much green from all of that blue additive!
Attached Thumbnails
Truth about VC-8 coolant additives-img_3304-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

The use of DCA in gold coolant in Power Stroke engines goes against everything I have been taught and read. Motorcraft premium gold coolant does NOT require supplemental coolant additives because it already contains the proper amounts of silicates and nitrates. Doing so will affect the corrosion protection of the coolant and damage to iron and aluminum parts may occur. I know of a few water pumps that have failed due to customers adding DCA to gold coolant. This is stated in the service manual and the 6.0L Power Stroke owners guide supplement. I cannot tell you why the use of DCA is required and presumably safe when used in Caterpillar engines though.

Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Hey Ford Doctor,
How would you suggest dilluting out the DCA4? I was planning on just draining 3-4 gallons then refilling but I'm thinking about draining the radiator/lower hose/drivers side block plug. Then refilling with water/drive/drain/fill with proper mixture of Gold coolant to achieve 50/50. Some VC-8 would still be left over but not near as much as the 3.2 units/gal I have now! How may times do you think I should repeat the drain/fill from those 3 points. After 3-4 times I'd imagine I'd have to add 3 gallons of coolant for the final fill at least as it would be so dilluted. Doing this in the morning for a trip starting Tuesday, thanks again!

-Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
The use of DCA in gold coolant in Power Stroke engines goes against everything I have been taught and read. Motorcraft premium gold coolant does NOT require supplemental coolant additives because it already contains the proper amounts of silicates and nitrates. Doing so will affect the corrosion protection of the coolant and damage to iron and aluminum parts may occur. I know of a few water pumps that have failed due to customers adding DCA to gold coolant. This is stated in the service manual and the 6.0L Power Stroke owners guide supplement. I cannot tell you why the use of DCA is required and presumably safe when used in Caterpillar engines though.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
I thought that supplemental coolant additive was only used in wet sleeve engines to avoid erosion of the cylinder liner. It was my "shade-tree" understanding that the molecular makeup of the liner, itself, made it more susceptible to long term erosion, by tiny bubbles that naturally occur, and explode directly adjacent to the liner wall, due to high-load temperatures pushing the coolant in the immedate area to near its boiling point. I'll be watching for someone to either correct me, or elaborate on this.
DIY-Coolant Filter

137,000 as of 1/26/2012

3/19/11, Converted to (red) Delo ELC, new bottle & cap, all temps reading good, orig EGR & OIL coolers, probably thanks to the coolant filter, and previously frequently flushed Motorcrap Gold.

Keep on truckin
andrewbalser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Kelly I would suggest draining and refilling. How else are you going to reduce the concentration?

To add to my last post, my statement applies to NEW coolant or when servicing with new coolant. As per a new TSB released on the 14th you may add to adjust nitrate levels as was posted.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

ford doctor, yes I know I have to drain and refill, I'm getting ready to head out and do it now. I was just wandering how much and how many times. I've calculated if I drain 4 gallons, fill with 4 gallons of straight water, draing 4 gallons again then refill to make it 50/50 will leave .9 pints of VC-8 in the system. That seems to be a reasonable amount and hope it works out to be how it's supposed to be.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Banshee, new coolant does NOT require VC-8. The Motorcraft coolant, as well as Xerex G05, is ready to go right out of the bottle. VC-8 is only used, when the coolant's nitrile levels are reduced, due to age and use.

Drain your system completely and refill, using a 50/50 mix.

2004 F-350 CC DRW LB FX4 4x4
Oxford White/Arizona Beige
King Ranch
2012 Ford bed w/Factory Reese hitch option
4.10 TracLok
Reman'd 6.0L @43,956 miles
Reman'd Turbo @54,814 miles
HPOP @154,120 miles
Radiator, water pump, t-stat & hoses @168,520 miles
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
River City Diesel EGR Delete
Gutted Cat
Strokin' 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for the replies, the truck is cooling now so I can drain a few more gallons out then refill with 50/50. In order for me to fill it with the right ratio.

I need to know exactly what the capacity of the cooling system is. I've read 27.5qts or just under 7 gallons then I've heard it's only 6 gallons, what's the right capacity? I've refilled with straight water so in order for me to do my calculations I need to know the correct capacity of the whole entire system, not just what you can drain. Seems like it's more likely 7 than 6 as it seems like you can just about drain 6 gallons out of the system without pulling the heater core. What do yall think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.