turbo cleaning - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo cleaning

I have a 05 and I am wondering if my Turbo needs to be cleaned. I have read some articles about these getting rusty and the vanes sticking. My truck seems every now and then to have no power upon initial take off, but then all of a sudden it kicks in. Other times (most of the time) it is fine. i have seen the article on DTS about cleaning the turbo, but has anyone actually done this, that can tell me how difficult it is. I don't feel like hosing up my turbo.

Thanks!

1999 7.3 PSD 2wd SD SB Auto (Sold)
legends13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

When doing my EGR cooler/oil cooler/Head gaskets I took my turbo apart and cleaned it.

It's not really that bad to do. International sells a kit that you can get from them, but all it is is 3m "disk kit" that you can get at any auto parts store and some anti-seize.

My turbo wasn't that bad at 150k miles, but did it anyways while I had everything apart. I don't think it will hurt you to do it if you are interested in spending 1/2 a day of your time.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

How do you take the turbo off? Is it hard? Any special tools needed? I looked at mine and thought it was too hard to get behind it to loosen any bolts that hold it on like the pipes or pedestal.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did mine a couple of months ago, mine would stick open, when I floored it and then let out it would be stuck. Most of the time I would have to come to a stop and let it idle to get it to come back. The worst part was getting the turbo back in for me, it has to go a certain way, or it won't go, but all and all it wasn't too bad. Mine had some scale, cleaned it all up and I could'nt believe the differance in power. It was sticking more and more over time and I didn't realize how much power it was robbing.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would defently let a professional mechanic take it out and clean it ! !
MIKE_ANTHONY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
i have a 05 f-250 im trying to see if anyone has had the issue of pulling or not pulling but having a long pull up hill running 20-25psi and about half way up (not over heating yet..) and the turbo letting out pressure and causing a lack of power because it wont hold psi or a cuting out feeling any answers?

im thinking turbo going out? but not sure dont want to go into getting a new one unless i someone else has had this happen befor? i just got out of warrenty 2k miles ago about 8k ago i had head gaskets and 2 heads replaced ebcause the egr kept failing ford didnt believe me when i told them i had no white smoke and was loosing water every few days had to add some but they checked for codes and said nothing was wrong and they cant seem to get it to act up for them.... i just got back from havasu today and it did it 45 mins into the drive home it seems to me that the turbo blades are sticking and causing it to over boost because even when i let off it seems to make the whistle sound and then free wheels and takes about 30 sec to go away i can easy off the gas and it does it and i can floor it and it does it but iff i let off completely and then get back into it it seems to go away for 1/4 mile any one have any ideas?
lusenuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. So does my problem point to a turbo issue? Or is it just a turbo lag thing?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

just got off the phone with ford customer relations no one has reported my issuse :-/ your issue to me seems like u have a heavy foot some times lol like me and turbo is trying to catch up to ur foot/brain i have that some times when i go WOT instantly and less lag when im running my tuner but the tuner lags worse on initial WOT but takes less time to get a move on so i sip tea while rolling coal! lmao
Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

lusenuts,

Your post is kind of hard to follow due to a lack of punctuation and misspelled words but I am going to take a stab at it.

If I am understanding you correctly, your issue is the turbo is losing boost half way up a hill while towing. IF that is correct, is there an accompanying noise to go with this (pop, fluttering, etc..)?? I am wondering if you are not having issues with either the EGR valve or the VGT solenoid.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

lol sorry im at work i try to post as clearly as i can i have a whistle noise (turbo sound) and i get a flutter from the waste gate from the inside of the cab i see the boost dancing around when im climbing a hill or hauling a heavy load (in to the pedal 1/2+ throttle) causing a cut-out feeling im thinking sticking vanes in the turbo but not sure any had this happen? if so what did u do to fix it? and how much?

sorry if i miss spell but at least u understood me right lmao i use a lot of abbreviations
Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusenuts View Post
lol sorry im at work i try to post as clearly as i can i have a whistle noise (turbo sound) and i get a flutter from the waste gate from the inside of the cab i see the boost dancing around when im climbing a hill or hauling a heavy load (in to the pedal 1/2+ throttle) causing a cut-out feeling im thinking sticking vanes in the turbo but not sure any had this happen? if so what did u do to fix it? and how much?

sorry if i miss spell but at least u understood me right lmao i use a lot of abbreviations
First of all, presuming you have the factory turbo, there is no wastegate on it.

I would get it on a good scan tool and see what it shows you (codes, etc..). But if I hazard a guess based on what you have told us, I would say there is a good chance either your vanes are sticking or your EGR valve is sticking open...

As for the cost, I don't know what those would run if you had to pay out of pocket but if your 05 is still under the 5yr/100K mile warranty, then the most it will be is the $100 deductible.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
First of all, presuming you have the factory turbo, there is no wastegate on it.

I would get it on a good scan tool and see what it shows you (codes, etc..). But if I hazard a guess based on what you have told us, I would say there is a good chance either your vanes are sticking or your EGR valve is sticking open...

As for the cost, I don't know what those would run if you had to pay out of pocket but if your 05 is still under the 5yr/100K mile warranty, then the most it will be is the $100 deductible.
No waste blow off i know it has a waste gate that recirculates air back through the intake (a fluttering sound)

i just hit 102k and yes stock turbo sorry didnt specify im guessing turbo sticking would a blown head gasket previously cause the turbo to rust? (i was pouring white smoke badly) they had replaced the EGRcooler 2 times because they kept leaking and then they finely listen to me the 4th time in with me saying it has to be head gaskets and they replaced heads even

so to be short and sweet could a blown head gasket cause some rust in the turbo? and i have a tuner that can blow tons of black would that help cause it them to stick?
-Magtech cover 4:30 gears
-SCTX2 with custom tunes
-Sinister coolant filter kit
-Line-X bed liner
-PMF Dual steering stabilizer brakets
-Dual KING 2.5 steering stabilizers
-FoMoCo head gaskets
-ARP head studs
-BPD oil cooler kit
-Alliant injector seals
-FoMoCo branch tube
-FoMoCo stand pipes
-FoMoCo dummy plugs
-Alliant high pressure oil rail seals
-FoMoCo ipr valve
-FoMoCo icp sensor
-BANKS intercooler
-A/C condenser
-FoMoCo radiator
-BPD ficm
-CAT EC1 coolant

Soon to come: king coil overs front and king rear replacements

Last edited by lusenuts; 06-01-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hey lusenuts..... Thanks for hijacking my thread...

Anyway, my problem is not a heavy foot. In fact I am usually very easy on it. The problem is when I am somewhere trying to pull out from an intersection, and there is moderate traffic. I typically will have enough room to pull out, but really need to GO to not get run over. Seems like everytime I do this, the truck has no power while I am in the turn, but as soon as the wheels straighten, BAM!!! She takes off. I don't understand it. It doesn't feel like the normal turbo lag, but it seems like the truck "knows"when the wheels com e to a certain pint and then lights up. I know that probably sound dumb, but I swear, that is what it does...

Old 06-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I'm not very educated on Diesel matters seeing I'm fairly new to it all but my '04 is in the shop right now with a bad turbo. All I had was an engine light so I thought it was in relation to my water/ fuel light. I drained and changed the filters and the light was still on so by recommendations I bought a CanOBD2 Tool and plugged it in. It told me I had insufficient air flow (P0401) and that I had a problem with my turbocharger (P132B-ford). Well, thank God for extended warranties because the dealer told me the turbo replacement was going to be over $2,000!!! YIKES!!! Well, with that said, I have been following this thread and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on an aftermarket Turbo? I'm sure this issue will rear it's ugly head in a couple more years (and when I'm outta warranty) so I'd like to be prepared. By the way, my '04 is a 4X4 6.0L with 73,000+ miles. I didn't think issues happened to diesels this early or is this what they call "The break-in period"? (meaning breaking into your wallet!
Pearlgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlgc View Post
I'm not very educated on Diesel matters seeing I'm fairly new to it all but my '04 is in the shop right now with a bad turbo. All I had was an engine light so I thought it was in relation to my water/ fuel light. I drained and changed the filters and the light was still on so by recommendations I bought a CanOBD2 Tool and plugged it in. It told me I had insufficient air flow (P0401) and that I had a problem with my turbocharger (P132B-ford). Well, thank God for extended warranties because the dealer told me the turbo replacement was going to be over $2,000!!! YIKES!!! Well, with that said, I have been following this thread and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on an aftermarket Turbo? I'm sure this issue will rear it's ugly head in a couple more years (and when I'm outta warranty) so I'd like to be prepared. By the way, my '04 is a 4X4 6.0L with 73,000+ miles. I didn't think issues happened to diesels this early or is this what they call "The break-in period"? (meaning breaking into your wallet!
just replaced my turbo yesterday as well i did it my self since im out of warrenty thought i had a sticking vane but not so much lol i looked for after market and for a all around turbo the stock on is fine best one i think is ball bearing turbonetics but its big$$$
-Magtech cover 4:30 gears
-SCTX2 with custom tunes
-Sinister coolant filter kit
-Line-X bed liner
-PMF Dual steering stabilizer brakets
-Dual KING 2.5 steering stabilizers
-FoMoCo head gaskets
-ARP head studs
-BPD oil cooler kit
-Alliant injector seals
-FoMoCo branch tube
-FoMoCo stand pipes
-FoMoCo dummy plugs
-Alliant high pressure oil rail seals
-FoMoCo ipr valve
-FoMoCo icp sensor
-BANKS intercooler
-A/C condenser
-FoMoCo radiator
-BPD ficm
-CAT EC1 coolant

Soon to come: king coil overs front and king rear replacements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.