U joint? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U joint?

I have a 2004 f250 cc4x4 6.0 liter......i bought it with 90k and kitted it with the diesel soulution kit! runs great, couldnt be happier with the 6.0 liter after kitted. I know have 145k on the truck and knock on wood no major problems since i personally installed the kit. However as most of you do i know my truck really well and so when an unfamiliar sound starts taking place it imediatley creates curiosity! Last night on the way to the store i started hearing a fairly high pitched sqeak sqeak sqeak....the sqeak wasnt due to bumps or turning.....some times the sqeak seemed to speed up with rpm and slow down with rpm but sometimes it did not. Could that be a dry joint or bad joint? Do the joints on F250s commonly fail? I have had 2 superduties now and have never had to replace joints on either. Thanks to everyone for their time and expertiece!
grayson20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

when u joints go bad, it is usually a clunk because of the play that is between the two.
05 f250 6.0 xlt ext. cab long box Fx4, 130k auto, 3.73's, stainless along bottom, 105 gallon L-shaped fuel tank, 8'6" Boss poly v-plow, 2 cracked y pipes, replaced egr valve, replaced ficm, 2 new napa batteries, new ford 140amp alternator, blue spring upgrade, scanguage II, sinister cooant filtration system, drivers side ball joints at 130k, retired juice w/ attitude on the shelf

**to do list**
egr delete, programmer, egt and fp gauge, coolant flush with elc, 5" turbo back

99 f250 5.4 xlt reg cab long box 4x4 5pd manual, 125K, 4.10s, L-shaped fuel tank, shot one plug

11 f150 King ranch 4x4 3.53s, CC 5.0 6sp, 2 tone white/tan, everything but tailgate step
Joe_r_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I do not ususally hear any clunks when putting in gear or turning? hard to tell where its comming from.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe a bad belt or pulley? The only u-joints I've had to replace has been the drive shaft one. 3rd one in 125k miles.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

when in park throttled up it doesnt make the noise...only when the drive train is in motion! Steers me away from it being a belt or pully? hard to tell on the joints....not ruling out a main joint in the line but not slack in the shaft...hmmmm was your truck lifted? was it the same one you have had to replace 3 times?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would say it's a u-joint. It's probably at the point where it's getting dry but not worn enough to actually have play in the joint. If they are aftermarket u-joints, they may be greaseable and you could try greasing them to see if if the squeak goes away.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayson20 View Post
when in park throttled up it doesnt make the noise...only when the drive train is in motion! Steers me away from it being a belt or pully? hard to tell on the joints....not ruling out a main joint in the line but not slack in the shaft...hmmmm was your truck lifted? was it the same one you have had to replace 3 times?
No lift or anything. Its a regular cab so it has a 1 piece drive shaft. Same joint every time. It probably has a lot more stress put on it with the 6 speed, but who knows.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Take off the back wheels and remove discs, see if your backing plate has rusted out and there are bits of metal rolling around. I would check this before you look at u joints.
maxpayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
I agree with MaxPayne, check your brakes on all four wheels. You could have pads worn down to the feelers which will give you a high pitched squeal.

Add-ons: Headache Rack, Brush Guard, B&W Hidden Hitch & Daytime Running Lights, PIAA 520 series driving lights, boost/tranny gauges, Dahl 100 fuel filter/water separator, Prodigy brake controller, air horns, Sinister Coolant Filter.

In-the-works: Onboard air, Aux. fuel/Toolbox combo.

Ordered on: 03/29/04.
Arrived on: 04/28/04.
SIGNED: 05/01/04 Whoop!
Recall 04B24: Installed 02/15/05.

My Pics

6.0L Bible
PoppaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am gonna take my truck down and put it on my lift tonight and rotate tires, my breaks are all relatively new but will definatly check...What is it you are calling the backing plate? When i am hearing the sqealing i can mash on the breaks and it doesn change other than slow down! In the mornings when its cold i will warm much truck up and head to work i dont hear it near as much as when my truck is warmer and i am heading home or if i drive a round for a bit? My joints are all factory and non greasable other than the u joints on the front wheels! I am not feeling any vibration yet either! Sure appreciate every ones time and thoughts!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you have a multiple piece driveshaft check the driveline bearing. I drilled a very small hole in the bearing shield and used a needle to inject grease.
lenzhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

That sure sounds like a dry joint on it way out.The fleet I manage is mainly ford product with 5 S/D's and when the joints go thats what the begining of the end sounds like.
VNM2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

greased jointson front axle....still squaling. Blocked wheels and put truck in neutral...no play in joints?......carrier bearing seems ok but not certian....do i go ahead and start at the yoke and replace joints? thanks agian guys!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've had (have) the squeak-squeak-squeak too.

Never did diagnose the noise, and it's gone for the most part now. Mine started after I had my pinion bearings changed. On mine, the sound was definitely not the brakes ... I'd here in on decel & accel no matter if I had been on the brake pedal.

I supported the rear axle on jack stands and ran the truck in drive once & it sounded like it was coming from the pinion area. I suspected rear u-joint also, but I had just installed new Spicer lifetime joints less than 8k miles before the sound started.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Okay Grayson try this, it won't take to long.
Pull both rear wheels off and remove calipers, then pull discs off and look at your parking brake assembly ( backing plates). Look carefully at the assembly and make sure the pins have not rusted through. It might take you 45 mins.
maxpayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.