Vibration when taking off from a stop - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration when taking off from a stop

I tried to find some information on this by searching but could not get a hit. My 06 F250 KR has a moderate to severe vibration or shudder when I take off from a stopped position with my 24' trailer attached. Makes no difference if the trailer is loaded or unloaded. If the trailer is not connected all seems smooth and normal.

Any advice on what could cause this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
roadhog350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Re: Vibration when taking off from a stop

Sounds to me like you are squatting that thing pretty much and making your driveline out of line. These trucks are pretty finicky. Also, you are probably experiencing more axle wrap due to the trailer. I know I had one hell of a vibration while truck was stock, I had to lift mine 5.5" upfront and 3" in rear to make it go away.
'03 "TNT Ranch Edition" F350 CrewCab Lariat 4X4 DRW, 12V Cummins, P&P head with 60# valvesprings, PDR QuickSpool cam, built pump with 4K GSK, S366 Turbo, ZF6spd. with Valair Ceramic/Kevlar, manual hubs, 3.73's, 5.5" lift w/285 Dayton Timberlines, 2" DRW Spacers.
Bullrack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bullrack - First, thank you for responding. I never had that problem with my 350 but then again it would squat very little with the trailer connected. Do you think a set of ride-rites would solve the problem?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you need a carrier bearing shim. Pro Comp makes them.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you need a carrier bearing shim. Pro Comp makes them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiko... thanks for the tip. What effect, if any, would a carrier bearing shim have when I'm not towing?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

With your trailer attached I believe your driveline is "out of line" with just the addition of the trailer tongue weight, loaded or unloaded. Without the tongue weight, its just straight enough to not vibrate. I would start with the 1/4" spacer and go from there. My crew cab longbed had the same problem.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to find some information on this by searching but could not get a hit. My 06 F250 KR has a moderate to severe vibration or shudder when I take off from a stopped position with my 24' trailer attached. Makes no difference if the trailer is loaded or unloaded. If the trailer is not connected all seems smooth and normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the diff between drive shaft angle and the differential (pinion gear) with an <font color="blue">Angle Finder</font>, also available at Sears, etc.

<font color="blue">Here's some info....</font>good pics on using an Angle Finder to measure the angle.

<font color="blue">Here's how to clock the rear axle (pinion gear),</font> though it shouldn't be necessary if your suspension &amp; drive train was set up correctly.

NO MORE than 3 degrees diff allowed, or pinon gear shudder on takeoff; buzzing vibration 70-80 mph will result.

You may have to shim your carrier bearing, especially if lifted, to get a good driveshaft/pinion angle. Donahoe Racing has a shim kit for Superduties.

Check loaded &amp; unloaded for best results.

A rear air suspension'll allow you to set ride height (therefore driveline angles) the same regardless of load....smooth ride too....replaces leaf springs. Not helper bags. Returns your beast to normal stance with your load attached - good for oncoming nighttime traffic; good for your ride. Excellent mod. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary
Sounds like you have gotten some good advice. What are different specifics on your vehicle? i.e. 4x4 or any modifications. Since your vehicle is so new, I assume it is still under warranty. Before I tried to fix it myself and had problems, I would get the dealer to try and find the problem. If you try and fix it and can't find the problem and then take it to them after the fact, they will try and troubleshoot what you did, instead of trying to find the actual problem; IMO.
Good Luck
TasMan
2004/04 Engine,King Ranch,F-250,4x4,SWB,3.73 LS, Adjustable pedals,Reverse sensor,Moon roof,clearance lights, Power rear window,Heated seats,Bedliner, DPPI T-409 Turbo Back, AFE Pro-Guard7, C-Bet'r mirror, Fumoto drain valve, AIC, Extange Tonneu, Lund SS Interceptor, Siver Star Bulbs, Harpooned tank, SUV double wiring harness, Bright Box, Clifford RS 3.5 alarm, 3" Edge Plush Ride, Bilstein Shocks, Westin Sportsman CPS Grille Guard, XM Commander wired in with a PIE Adapter, Eagle 137 series rims and Bridgestone Revos 285/75-16, Husky Liner Mud Flaps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tasman3721 UpDated 27 October 2005
Retired Chief Warrant Officer 4
tasman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

You know I have the same thing. I originally I thought it was the trans trying to chatch up to the power of the engine but the driveshaft angle seems a more logical solution. I have the Donahoe Racing Devear spring set up at 5.5" and before I installed my airbags the stuttering was much worse. Me thinks I need to take it to my local off road shop for a look see before I goof something up.
SonicDeathMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had the same problem, went to air bages an it fixed it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

------------------------------------
2004 f350 cc drw 6.0 auto fx4
COOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

TasMan - It is a 4x4 CC 6.0 short bed. It is completly stock. Yep, I was going to install the air bags but thought better of it until I have it looked at by a dealer. Only problem is I will probably have to go there with my 24' trailer hooked-up that could be a real PITA. I had the air bags on my 02 and really liked them. Thanks for the advise.

Gary
Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

You need a 1/2 inch of shim you can use just about anything - old sockets, flat plate, body lift blocks, washer etc...

Its an everyday practice in the 4 wheel drive market
Old 01-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

My '03 has been doing this since they changed the programming in the tow/haul mode way back in '03. The dealer has tried the shim fix, twice, no luck. This is an ongoing problem I'm still having. I've had three transmission mechanics, non Ford, state that they suspect it is chatter in the clutch packs during the initial take off from a stop when under load. This is what I had also suspected. Ford says no, it's not that, but then can't tell me what it is either.

I know the shims have worked for some. If they work for you great. If not, you likely have the same "no problem" that Ford says mine is.

Good luck and sorry to hear they haven't been able to sort this out in 4 years of trucks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]
'03, F-350 Lariet, CC, DRW, 5sp torquemaster, 4X4, 4.10ls, Sonic Blue monotone. Hijacker 16K full pivot/slider 5th wh hitch. One PRETTY truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] UPDATE: Truck is still performing poorly, though it is better since the last reflash that removed the EBP sensor inputs. Has definately been the worst truck I've owned in my 30 years driving Fords.
BigOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

If your truck is stock, I mean no lift kit or other rear suspenion work done then most likely shimming is not the issue. I would look into a axle wrap issue, if you only feel it badly when under heavy load or when you jump on it from a stop. Ladder bars would be an option. Make sure that you have good flat surfaces between your leaf spring and blocks or on your axle pads. I had a 71 K5 blazer with a 4 speed and a 350/350 motor and I rounded the pads and had a bad shake on take offs.
2005 F-350, 6.0 PSD, Lariat,4x4,CC,LB,Torqshift,7" ProComp StageII Lift, MX-6 Reservoir 6 Way Adjustable Shocks, 37" Toyo MT's, 18" Mazzi Hulk Wheels, Duel Steering Stabilizers, 6 Piece Billet Grille, Isspro 3 Guage A-Pillar, AFE SS 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, 4:56's, Firestone Air Bags, SCT by ID, ARP's Studs, WC Motorsports Anti-Wobble Track Bar, Plates that read SndYaht
desertsands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

BigOne
Do you have a shudder problem when empty or just when your loaded? Try the airbags it's some what cheap easy to install and you have nothing to loose. I have them on my truck when loaded I put about 45 to 50 psi. Shudder problem goes away. When empty I let the air out. I myself do not like the shim thing.

------------------------
2004 f350 cc drw 6.0 auto fx4 airbags
COOK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.