Warming up the 6.0 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warming up the 6.0

Does anyone know the best way to warm the 6.0 up? The owners book says not to idle them for more than 10 min, and idling can cause harm. My truck is not even close to being warmed up at that point. My friend has a Dodge and he says he lets his warm up for 15-20 min in the winter. He doesn't move his truck until it is warm to reduce engine wear.

I park in my detached garage over night and plug it in anytime it gets down into the 30's. Then I drive it really easy, shifting at 1,500 rpm until it is up to temp. Is there a better way. Should I plug it in when it is warmer than 30? Do you guys let them idle? I don't want to cause any more cold wear than needed.
jungleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
i let mine idle for 15-20 before i tow my fifth wheel, ill risk the idling warning. pretty sure that for not cloggin the CAT. Up in alaska guys idle the 6.0L all day on construction job sites etc.... i dont know how they do in the long run, but i see them idling all day long

Last edited by teamroper60; 04-30-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Removed reference to an illegal modification.
Jetjock15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
You could plug it in for 3 hours before use. That would help.

Or, start it up and drive it gently for 10+ minutes to get it warmed up. That is what I opt for.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
I've never done it, but just wondering how long it would take to reach normal op. temps on cold start, not plugged in, temp. +30 & eng. idleing (hi idle after it kicks in)

Those conditions on mine, except I take off after hi idle kicks in. I go into a 40 mph zone for 5 mi. which helps on warm up (maybe less wear?) VS right onto freeway. Close to 5 mi. before normal op temps reached (depends on temp.) How vanes close on turbo suppose to help warm up. Last time I plugged in temp. was around +24.
Anyhow, what ever make's one comfortable. No, I dont have heated seats. Do use small 12V heater.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Hi idle? Does that mean you have an Auxillary Idle Controller (AIC)?

My van doesn't have any hi idle, so I just drive off. 5 minutes on city streets brings the water temp up to 150-160 and onto the freeway. Plugging it in makes it come up to temp faster.

Even at temps in the teens, we drive off and let it warm up on the road.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)
Mike...Maybe e series is diff. Mine dosent have AIC. It has cold start strategy meaning hi idle kicks in, idle's up to around 1K rpm 2+ min. later (cold eng) Seem's to stay there till you take off or tap the brake.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
There will be no accelerated wear from doing a brief (less than 5 min) warm up and then drive off normally.
The accelerated wear WILL come from idling the engine unnecessarily.
Warm up is way old school from previous days when metallurgy was much less advanced and lubricants were far less developed than today. Old cast iron exhaust manifolds didn't like thermal shock but newer iron alloys in exhaust manifolds have low risks from a short warm up and drive off.
Condensation from idling a cold engine is a WAY bigger risk and is far more detrimental to the life of the engine. EGR systems HATE warm up idling. Variable geometry turbos HATE warm up idling.
Ford does not tell you to warm up the engine for very long at all. Their only recommendation is for a brief warm up in very cold conditions.
An idling diesel burns very little fuel and has very little heat as a result. The engine will reach operating temp much more rapidly with load of moving the truck.

Our fathers and grandfathers did lots of things that we now know are no longer necessary or wise. Be nicer to your truck, your wallet, and the environment and crank it up, idle briefly, and drive off.

If your truck is hooked to a trailer then you still need no more than a brief warm up. You can drive off easily. The easy drive off at low revs will warm engine up and warm up trans fluid via torque converter agitation. Idling out of gear does little to warm up auto transmission.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.