Warming up to long? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warming up to long?

I was reading in the archive post that some people says its bad to let your diesel idle to long for warm up. Why is this? I usually wait on my 05 till the tranny temp starts to move, then take it easy untill both tranny and engine are up to temp.
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: Warming up to long?

This has been a debate among diesel owners for a while now. One advantage of a diesel engine is that it is more efficient than a gasser. This, for one reason, is that the combustion event is quicker than a gasser, which makes it run "cooler" under certain circumstances. With the combustion even being quicker, at lower engine speeds (i.e. idling), there is less time for the heat generated to burn all the fuel in the cylinder. This causes a phenomenon called "wet stacking". Basically "wet stacking" is when unburned fuel stays in the cylinder (worst case) or makes its way into the exhaust (before the turbo). At worst, this could wash down the cylinder wall and cause excessive wear. Again, this is a worse-case scenario. I also don't know what effect this would have on the EGR, as these engines are of the first to pioneer an EGR system on a light truck diesel. To combat this problem, diesels that idle for extended periods of time (longer than 30 minutes - from reading other posts), should be idled above 1200 rpm (again from reading other posts), so that enough heat is generated to burn all the fuel. Personally, I have let mine idle up to 2 hours will not ill effects, as of yet [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]. Also, I do a lot of city stop-and-go driving, so I guess I will find out what long-term effects this will have on my engine. There are people that let there trucks warm up for a certain period of time. I am one of those as I let mine warm up for about 10-15 minutes before I take off. Personally, I think this helps by allowing all the moving parts, and the oil, to warm up under a no-load condition. I have a friend who has had a 7.3, who now has a 6.0, and he would let his run for about a minute and then take off. He seems to have had no problems on his 7.3, but we have yet to see how this will effect his 6.0, as he does the same with it. Of course I live in the south where temps don't dip as low as some others who live more north, so maybe they can chime in with their experiences. I don't think that you'll have any problems in the way you warm yours up. Happy truckin'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading in the archive post that some people says its bad to let your diesel idle to long for warm up. Why is this? I usually wait on my 05 till the tranny temp starts to move, then take it easy untill both tranny and engine are up to temp.

[/ QUOTE ]

The current school of thought on this is extended idling is contributing to premature failure of the EGR due to excess carbon build up. If you are dead set on letting it warm up, I would suggest you do a little searching on this site and learn how to enable the AIC feature on your truck (the 05 does this differently than previous models), it will let you idle at a high enough RPM to avoid this condition.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

"Warm up" is a a very subjective term with regards to a diesel.

Remember that a diesel will take forever to warm up (meaning up to operating temperature) under no-load conditions. The engine will warm up much faster if driven when compared to sittin' in the driveway.

I have an AIC on my 6.0 but even at 1200 RPM, it would take at least 15 minutes to hit operating temperature (safe for preventing "wet stacking). So, I use the AIC for 4-5 minutes then drive it gingerly (under 2000 RPM) until the engine temp gets closer to nominal.

Basically the AIC doesn't help much with morning "warm up," as it is an unloaded condition, as much as it's better for long idle periods AT operating temps to keep the EGT's high enough to prevent wet stacking (and or keep the AC cooler in the hot summers).

Does that make any sense or am I just rambling?

In short, I use the AIC to "warm up" then AFTER I hear the EGR valve open I drive carefully.

CMOS

CMOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
In short, I use the AIC to "warm up" then AFTER I hear the EBP valve open I drive carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

CMOS, could you explain what this sound is or what I should listen for?

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow you guys sure are fast at responding. About idling at a higher rpm, could the 05 adjust this automatically? I start my truck in the morning, then go inside to get the last of my things usually or something like that, when I come back, the idle is higher than when i started it. As soon as I touch the brake peddel, it drops back to normal idle. Does this sound like what you guys are talking about when you say change the idle speed for it?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

My 05 does the same thing. After a minute or so of idleing, the RPM's raise up depending on the outside temperature and then drops down after you hit the brake. I'll only idle my vehicle only a few minutes even in Michigan. But, I drive the vehicle very easy, keeping the RPM's below 2000, until it fully warms up.

Mark

2007 F-250 King Ranch,Dark Copper, CC, 4x4, FX4, PSD, Torqshift, tow command, SOLD

2008 Cedar Creek 34RLSA
mlabelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In short, I use the AIC to "warm up" then AFTER I hear the EBP valve open I drive carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

CMOS, could you explain what this sound is or what I should listen for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. After about 4 minutes of 1200 RPM with the AIC I can hear the turbo suddenly spool up and whine much louder. I hope I'm correct but I believe this is when the EBP sensor opens the EGR valve.

That's typically when I gear up and start to drive it.

CMOS

CMOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had the Ford remote car start installed on my 2005 6.0 Excursion, and after 15 minutes if idling, it turns the car off. Ford must figure 15 minutes of idling is long enough. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
The current school of thought on this is extended idling is contributing to premature failure of the EGR due to excess carbon build up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to think that the @#$% EGR is bound to foul up no matter what you do. Just had to have mine replaced at 5000 miles. Started sticking at about 3500, and I'm religious about avoiding extended idling.

My EGR wiring harness seems looser with this new valve. I wouldn't be surprised if it just fell out one of these days. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

[ QUOTE ]
Wow you guys sure are fast at responding. About idling at a higher rpm, could the 05 adjust this automatically? I start my truck in the morning, then go inside to get the last of my things usually or something like that, when I come back, the idle is higher than when i started it. As soon as I touch the brake peddel, it drops back to normal idle. Does this sound like what you guys are talking about when you say change the idle speed for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

They have all done this, since clear back to 03. It is a cold idle strategy built into them. Unless yours is kicking up to at least 1200 rpm, it is not using any type of AIC. If it is, then you may have that feature already enabled.
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

early light duty 6.2 gm engines had egr"s also.earlier powerstrokes 7.3 engines,had the ideling warm up accesory also. i normally let my vehicles wether gas or diesel,hot or cold weather,idle for two to three minutes before moving.below freezing,i give them at least 5 minutes,especially if i have a trailer hooked up.i have driven diesel pickups since 1981,all have seen extensive ideling times,anywhere from one to several hours at a time.this is a old school tradition that i grew up with,however im ideling less nowadays.mainly because its really just a waste,plus the fact stealing diesel trucks is starting to be common.anyway my practices seem to work ok ,most my trucks get at least 200k or more on them before being sold or semi retired,no engine failures yet!
the fleet; ferds ,02'f350,01'f450, 11' f350 the generals ,82'2500, 82'2500 4x4, 82' blazer, 86' blazer ,93'3500, 96'3500, and a 99' 3500hd with 12 valve cummins power. the goats, 90'd250, 91'd350 4x4, all are diesel powered. a list of bigger stuff, as well as gasser's, got lucky, wife comes from a family that collects junk iron too!
navistar45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

I wait for heat to come out of the vents ( Mrs Firstrattler demands it )
Kentucky built 2004 Silver F-250 XL Reg Cab PSD, 4X2, bench cloth seat,air conditioning, 6 spd Manual, 3.73 LS,Line-X , FORD receiver, Prodigy brake controller,towing option,( put together on Monday, March 29, del April 9 2004) 62000 miles
ta152h0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.