Water In Fuel Light??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Water In Fuel Light???

I searched and found some steps to take once the light comes on. So this is what I have done and the results.

I drained the HFMC and did notice that the fuel that got on the ground had some watery lumps in it. The 1/3 of a 2 lieter bottle that I collected and managed not to spill did have some sediment in the bottom but no noticeable water.

I did notice that the light did take longer to come on after draining.
What should I try next.

I have 3/4 of a tank left and added some ati-gell that said would get the water out too. I always fill up a the same chain of truck stops and they do go through a lot of fuel.

Please advise. Thanks.

Totaled '05 F250 CC Lariat shortbed SRW, 6.0PSD, TorqShift, FX4, ESOF, 3.73LS RIP
tu3712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via Yahoo to Texrob1
If you have drained the HFCM & the WIF light is still on,you probably have a bad sensor,so far that's the only problem I have had with my truck (Knock on wood Twice) It's the only time I have actually seen that warning when my sensor went bad,it seems to be a fairly common problem with the 05's from what I have read,Good luck.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I was on a trip when I had same problem, WIF light came on, drained HFCM, a few miles later, light came on again. I had to drain the HFCM 3 times, before the light stayed out. Don't know how much water was in there, but when I returned to my house, I drained into a container, all other times were just onto the ground, and I had a couple of drops, some sediment and fuel. Hasn't come on since, but I do drain periodically. I suspected I got bad fuel and I just had to run it all out.
luckeyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Continue to drain the HFCM and catch the fuel when the WIF light illuminates. As long as you can find water in the fuel, the WIF sensor is working. If you find no water and the WIF is on, then scrub the sensor inside the HFCM with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. If it still stays on, then it needs to be changed.
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
Black05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Black05,
Great tip on the toothbrush cleaning approach.
My WIF was on right after I changed my filters. I drained, no water but some scale. Used your idea with carb-cleaner and a trusty toothbrush and the sensor was rather dirty with this scale buildup.

Now everything is back to normal.

Thanks again for the great tip.
lutzgater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
LUP

Diagragm of water sensor

Can someone describe or show me which part needs to be cleaned? How do you get the module open?

Thanks
LUP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

The approach I was referring to was simply draining the unit, then stick a toothbrush in the drain-hole and scrub, spray, scrub,spray etc...
Use a childs toothbrush since you need some room.
The WIF sensor is located next to the drain-hole, right-hand-side when looking at the drain hole.

Now, if you want to dismantle, get a shop-manual or purchase an online version, such as All-Data-DYI. They will have pictures on how to remove the front cover.

Or you can simply remove the WIF sensor, clean it, get a new O-ring, then replace.

If my light comes back on, I will remove the cover and clean the unit better.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 WorkShop Manuals

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WS3O/~MUS~LEN/20/S3OLEFT.HTM

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WS4O/~MUS~LEN/20/S4OLEFT.HTM

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WS5O/~MUS~LEN/20/S5OLEFT.HTM

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WS6O/~MUS~LEN/20/S6OLEFT.HTM

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WS7O/~MUS~LEN/20/S7OLEFT.HTM
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
bismic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bismic, thanks for these links.

All:
After several days of no problems with the WIF, it is back on once again. There is no water, so I am making the assumption the sensor is bad.
I called the dealer and wanted to run this by the board to confirm what I was told. They said:
- you can purchase a replacement switch, but it requires a jumper-wire and the ECU needs to be reflashed in order for the new sensor to be effective.

After reading so many posts about problems after a reflash, I am not sure if I want to go through with this option. Please advise if anyone knows the reflash is specific for this sensor or they simply provide the latest version which may cause me other problems.

Wish I could simply find this darn switch from a Parts Store, but so far my search indicates only a Dealer-offered part, hence the upgraded switch, wire and reflash.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Bruce
Old 06-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bump?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

How much fuel comes out of there?
jimmer818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

WIF light issue...

I have a 2003 Chevy Duramax that i purchased in april 2005. 10 minutes after picking up the vehicle the WIF light started flashing. of course the small town dealers option was to replace the fuel filter...nope didnt work. took it to a Chev dealer who replaced the sensor, took of the fuel tank, emptied the fuel, changed the filter yet again...guess what...still have the WIF light.
One mechanic spent two hours messing with the wiring harness which seemed to work temporarily...had no WIF for once month. then it was back.
anyone else had similar issues and any remedies?
Chevychick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

any chance of getting links that are active for the above links? i used them a few days ago, but now it won't let me in.

PLEASE!!!

2003 Excursion Limited 6.0L as stock as they come
thesixcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.