Water in Fuel light - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water in Fuel light

2006 6.0 F-350, 93000 trouble free miles. My water in fuel light keeps coming on after the truck runs for a few minutes. I ran all the fuel that I could out of it when the light first started coming on. Drained the water separator 4 times while running that fuel out. Filled the truck up with fresh fuel from Flying J, never had a problem with thier diesel fuel. Changed both the filters and I have drained the separator 5 more times, I really do not see any water when I drain it. Could this be a sensor problem or do I really have that much water in the fuel tank. The light has only come on one other time in 90000 miles, drained the separator 3 times and that was the end of it. Runs perfect just keeps giving me the warning. Thanks for any help.
2004 Suzuki GSXR 1000, Power Commander, Yoshimura Exh. K&N Filter.180+MPH
1998 Harley FLHT PI
1981 Honda CBX
Cottonwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Probably is the sensor in the water separator. You can try clearing the code with a scanner or disconnecting your batts for a few minutes to clear them. It doesn't sound like you actually have water in your fuel after all of that.

Mod List:
-51 gal RDS direct fill auxillary fuel tank
-SEIC High Idle
-H&S Black Maxx Running the Hot Damn +300 Tune
-S&B Dry CAI
-Diamond Eye 5" Turbo Back Race Exhaust
-Custom 10" Sub Box Behind the Center Console
-Coastaltech SYNC-LP1 Lockpick
-Westin Bull Bar
-Westin Taillight Guards
-Recon LED Smoked Dodge Cab Marker/Clearance Lights
-Billet Fender Vent Inserts
-Zone Offroad 4" Lift
-20x10 BMF Novakane 8's
-35x12.50r20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
-'11 Super Duty Rear Seat Cargo Tray w/410W Power Inverter
tvandyck7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Pull the sensor from the housing and you will see a bunch of crud and corrosion. Scrape it clean with a utillity knife, blow it off with compressed air. That should take care of it.

2008 f-250 Lariat - 5.4 Gasoline - Absolutely Love It

2003 F-250 FX-4 --Sold my last diesel
cyclone3565 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
TSB 06-22-12
11/13/06
WATER-IN-FUEL (WIF) LAMP ON / FLICKERING
FORD:
2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2005 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 06-6-5 to update the Service Procedure.
ISSUE
Some 2003-2005 F-Super Duty vehicles built prior to 9/22/2004, 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles built prior to 1/10/2005, and 2004-2005 E-Series vehicles built prior to 9/16/2004 and equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine, may exhibit an intermittent I flickering water in fuel (WIF) lamp. The intermittent condition may be more prominent while turning corners, braking, or during uphill/downhill driving.

Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles may exhibit a continuous WIF lamp on, even without the presence of water, due to debris in the reservoir or corrosion on the WIF sensor pins located in the manifold.
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2003-2005 Excursion vehicles may exhibit both intermittent / flickering and continuous WIF due to corrosion and the lack of new calibration.
ACTION
Use the following Service Procedure based upon the customers symptom.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.For intermittent / flickering WIF lamp condition reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using the IDS release B32.11 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.
2.If the WIF lamp continuously illuminates without the presence of water, this may be due to corrosion on the sensor pins or sediment build up in the water reservoir.
a.Drain the horizontal fuel conditioning module (HFCM) reservoir and look for significant corrosion debris or sediment in the fluid drained from the reservoir. Remove the WIF sensor and inspect for corrosion on the pins. Remove the WIF Senor by first disconnecting the electrical connector, then using channel locks, rotate the WIF sensor at least 45 degrees counterclockwise. If there is corrosion / sediment on the pins, proceed to Step b. If there is not, refer to PC/ED lead diagnostics and do not proceed with the TSB.
b.If corrosion on the pins is causing the WIF lamp to illuminate, replace the WIF sensor with service kit, following the WIF sensor installation instructions in the kit.
c.If there was significant corrosion debris or sediment drained from the reservoir, clean the housing of the HFCM of any debris following the HFCM cleaning procedure. It is not necessary to replace the Manifold or HFCM assembly.
3.Vehicles with both an intermittent and continuous WIF light due to corrosion are to follow actions 1 and 2 as described above, referring to the vehicle built dates and application.

RC
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
PIAA Driving lights installed in Stock foglight spot
Edge Insight Monitor with Dash Pod
Pioneer Avic Z2 Nav w/ Sirius Satellite Radio
CB Radio w/ Firestik Antenna w/ Hood Mount

06 Harley V-Rod Street Rod Yellow

Last edited by Rccarps2; 03-05-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Rccarps2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.