What is CAC Tube Connector - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is CAC Tube Connector

Had a funny noise when I would wind up the turbo on hard acceleration or a hard pull. Took it into the shop and they said I had a blown CAC tube connecton on the hot side of the intercooler. Was curious as to what exactly that is and where it is located at? Any input would be appreciated.
cougarmania96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: What is CAC Tube Connector

cac is charge air cooler. commonly called intercooler. you have a hot side and cold side. the tubes are connected by short pieces of rubber hose. hot side is the tube that leads from the turbo to the intercooler. the cold side is the tube from the intercooler to the intake. they call it the cold side because the air is colder from being cooled by the intercooler. basically the hose connecting the tube to the intercooler had either blown off, which is common since some engine oil gets into the intake system. or the hose ripped, eventually the hoses deteriorate from heat, oil, and movement. hopefully this sheads some light.
-99 early, 09/98, 7.3 f350 lariat crew cab long box dually 4x4, gauges, ais w/fender foam and zoodad, 2 inch level kit, hellwig 1.5" front swaybar, velvet ride shackles, walker btm, gauges, 6.0 intercooler, 6.0 tranny cooler, pmt3, superchips 1705- hey it was free, adrenaline pump, bilsteins, sinnister's hutch mod, 220k
-03 6.0 f350 lariat crew cab long box 4X4: SOLD
-90 xlt lariat crew cab long box 4X4, 7.3: SOLD
-87 turbo t we4 w/ astro roof
-05 chevy uplander-momma's pos
zpd307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Is there any damage that can be done while driving vehicle with the hot side tube leaking?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

it will run like crap from lack of boost, as it is blowing out into the atmosphere. also it would suck in unfiltered air.
-99 early, 09/98, 7.3 f350 lariat crew cab long box dually 4x4, gauges, ais w/fender foam and zoodad, 2 inch level kit, hellwig 1.5" front swaybar, velvet ride shackles, walker btm, gauges, 6.0 intercooler, 6.0 tranny cooler, pmt3, superchips 1705- hey it was free, adrenaline pump, bilsteins, sinnister's hutch mod, 220k
Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
it will run like crap from lack of boost, as it is blowing out into the atmosphere. also it would suck in unfiltered air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't see how it could suck unfiltered air. Isn't there a positive pressure thru that hose at all times? If its venting to atmosphere, there is no way a vacuum exists.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't see how it could suck unfiltered air. Isn't there a positive pressure thru that hose at all times? If its venting to atmosphere, there is no way a vacuum exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right out of my fingers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
5% 3M Tinting
Viper 791XV with Remote Start
152dB Kleinn 3-Trumpet Horn System
Dakota Digital Gauges
T409 MBRP Straight Pipe
AFE Stage II Intake
HARPOONED Fuel Tank
2003 10 Vane Turbocharger
Blacked Out Harley-Davidson Edition Headlamps
ARP Head Studs
AVIC-Z2 In-Dash Navigation System
205cc Elite Sticks
Coolant Filter
Elite Regulated Return Fuel System
FS2500 Oil Filter
HPOP STC Replaced

My Pictures
cmirabile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine too! But he is correct about the truck running badly.
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
Black05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Actually the truck ran fine at low turbo boost. It did not push air out the tube unless it got to about 15 psi turbo boost and did not have as much power at the higher boost levels.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right out of my fingers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys,

Are yall forgetting about the other side of the hose that blew off, as in the one that is connected to the intake? When the crankshaft pulls the piston down, there's a vacuum which pulls in air that is at atmospheric (I know yall know this stuff). You might have pressurized air coming out the tube from the turbo, but you'll have unfiltered air going into the intercooler, which could eventually lead dirt and debris into the cylinders.

Hope this clears it up for yall,

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Joey -- The original poster stated in his second post that the CAC tube connection was "leaking." I assumed that he meant the hose connection was still intact, but that the connection had tear or hole in it. With a tear or hole, the CAC tube connection will not suck dirt into the intercooler as there is only positive pressure exiting the system -- there would be no vacuum.
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
Black05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

Black05,

Thanks for the clarification. I just skimmed through the original poster's post, but even after re-reading it, I guess I just have a much different idea of what "blown" means, as in "I had blown the engine after running it 1K RPMs above redline"...you know what I mean. Especially since we've been hearing of CAC tubes blowing the connection off (and not that many, if I've even heard any, holes being blowng into the connectors). I'm glad everything is clarified now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

On the conectors with staples, many times it will tear free from just one of the staples and only part of the connector will slip off so it will leave you with "regulated" boost and limited power. When mine "blew" the first time it left me with about 10 lbs of boost but when I reconected the tube I did not clean it up enough and it blew all the way off, then it did not run well at all and would have sucked in dirt if I had driven it that way..
2004 F350 Lariat CC LB FX4 Auto, camper package, superhitch, rear susp air bags, Rancho 9000 shocks, 800W/1600W 115v power converter, Ultralite gauges in overhead 4 gauge pod, 04/04 build and engine Reman shortblock at 34,000 Due to oil leaks, MBRP turbo back, SCT extreme street by ID
10.5' camper, 20.5" Bayliner Cuddy 5.0 V8
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
rubystargoats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

i didnt realize that the sucking unfiltered air comment would spark such a debate. heres another thought. is there always positive pressure from the turbo, ie- at idle. from what i understand, the 6.0 turbos are not wastegated, but where would that boost go when not needed.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
OT

My Photos: (8)

No wastegate, excess boost gets dumped back thru intake. Causes noise (farting)heard when quickly letting off go pedal after you floor it.

Maybe someone can explain better why/how noise occurs?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

my grand national does the same thing when the pedal is lifted quickly since it doesnt have a blow off valve. but since it has a wastegate, it wont make boost at idle. my question is, since the 6.0 turbo is non wastegated is there always positive pressure through the tubes even at idle or does it allow the boost to go somewhere else until it is needed. do the variable turbine vanes fold up so that they wont spin the compressor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.