What are symptoms of an injector problem? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are symptoms of an injector problem?

I have been noticing a lack of power in the 6.0 when going down the highway. Its akin to when you are in a manual transmission vehicle and you are in too high of a gear for your speed. It kinda vibrates and just feels gutless. Now if I get on the gas and it drops down a gear it goes fine. The truck also runs kinda rough at idle.

I mentioned the symptom to a tech and he mumbled something or other about an injector. Just wanted some feedback before I put it in the shop and have no vehicle for a few days.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Could be the turbo not properly adjusting for the load - vanes sticking - at least the lack of power going down the hwy. Also, the injectors could have a degree of stiction, but that normally clears up when warm.

You could try some Hot Shots Secret to see if helps with the stiction. It will clean up the parts of your injectors that are exposed to engine oil.

Mark
2004 White F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, Camper Pkg, Skid Pkg, Edge 2" Mini Spring Pack, Bilsteins, MBRP Exhaust, FluidAmpr, Elite Regulated Return (55 psi), Airdog, Weld Evo Velociti & LT285/75-16
Built: 11/03/03

Last edited by 4x4Mark; 03-06-2008 at 09:39 PM.
4x4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

i had 1 injector go bad ,truck just died and wouldnt restart
2008 F-350 lariat 4x4 crew cab its loaded. Alpine dvd head unit, alpine rear dvd 8" jl audio sub in custom box 6 channel jl audio amp billit grill, snug top shell 4" lift, 35" toyo's on 18' american's, rancho 9000's

2005 F-350 lariat , snug top, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50x18 toyo m/t, american racing mojave 18x9.5, rear air bags, alpine stereo, rear dvd, line-x Ford bought back , lemon lawed,,,,sucks

2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer soccer moms truck/car

1966 Ford Mustang 310 RWHP 302 5 Speed and lots of other upgrades

2005 Mastercraft X2 custom sound system

1986 Honda trx 200
2001 Honda trx 400 ex
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660r
2002 Arctic Cat 90
2005 CRF 50
2003 XR 50 with 88 cc kit
2008 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler
fordfrk195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I had a check engine light and computer code was EBP sensor. Dealer said to keep it over the weekend and drop it off on Monday when I could leave it overnight. Well, the truck was running great, engine was smooth as can be and plenty of power. After they put in the new sensor, they ran some test the next AM when the truck was cold and 5 injectors failed their contribution test.

So how do you tell if an injector is going bad, I can't help you.

RoyC

2005 50th anniversary Thunderbird Red with all
options except hardtop.

Old Ride: 2003 Excursion 6.0 L March 2003 Build 73,000 with no significant issues.

RoyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
i heard rough idle, there was a loss of power, when just one went bad on a friends truck..symptoms were very similar to ICP issues..

i lost 2 injectors...they were leaking and there wasn't a doubt they failed....talk about SMOKE...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Symptoms of a bad fuel injector???? Smoke, rough run, lack of power..... Unfortunately, these are the symptoms of a host of other concerns, too.... Nothing is written in stone... these are complex systems....

Disclaimer... we can "waste" a lot of money doing logical diagnosis... However, many are pleased that they get to work on their trucks themselves and, eventually, they will replace enough parts to have found the "magic bullet".

Disclaimer on the disclaimer..... whatever part it is that "they" replaced will be the panacea for all other concerns until the next time.... And then we will have a "new" fix for all ills...

Shot gun repairs.... A respectable shop can make a lot of money off of these adventures.... Not only do we get too fix the concern, but we are going to inspect all previous repair efforts to be sure that they wont come back to bite us....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfrk195 View Post
i had 1 injector go bad ,truck just died and wouldnt restart
Same as mine. Happened towing at about 70 mph.
CAMPINGTOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hmmm...running rough, lack of power only at highway speeds in the top gear (what do we have, 4 or 5 speed auto trannies?). No smoke though.

I guess im fortunate I still have some warranty left, looks like it'll be in the shop soon.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
I can't comment on the signs of a bad injector(s), but the TorqShift is actually a six-speed tranny, however only 5 gears are used for normal driving, whether it be on cold starts or when everything is at operating temperature.

Later,

* '04 F250 XCab LWB 4X4 w/ FX4 *
* TorqShift *
* Manual 4WD *
* Carpet Delete *
* No. 2 ONLY *
* High-Idle Mod *
* Fumoto Valve *
AllOutFirefighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fool Injected,
The symptoms you described sounds identical to an experience I had. An additional symptom I had was that it would not restart if the engine was warm but would start when it had cooled enough. The problem turned out to be an injector self destructed.
Superfortress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

To update this:

I put the truck in the shop last week and they replaced two glow plugs and an injector. Drove the truck out of town over the weekend and all problems seem to be cleared up. The power is back and no vibes in top gear.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mine just got poor milage and rough at idle and they have it now saying that it's the #2 injector
stroker76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.