what's the best motor oil? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what's the best motor oil?

What do you think the best motor oil is? I have 2003 6.0 F250 33000 miles on Her.
8534 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most use rotella or delo 15w40 and a fram filter (the fram filter is the same as motorcrafts filter complete with the same patent numbers) or you can just use a motorcraft filter. All of these are easily available at any walmart, side by side on the shelf.

2008 FX4 F250 CCSB w/ 6.4L PSD - Edge Insight, H13 Bi-HIDs, custom coolant filter, "all deleted", fumoto.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Clean oil is the best oil. As long as it has the API certification for CF4 plus, CH, CI4-plus whatever Ford requires it should be okay. 15-40 is best protection. 5-40 is acceptable for low temp operation. Shell now carries the CJ-4 rating which is the newest out right now...
- ROTELLA Products
Quad pillar Air, trans temp, pyro, boost
Magnaflow 15954, ATS studs
Transfer Flow 46gal midship tank
Firestone Airbags 2400 kit ViAir 250C compressor
Eaton TruTrac, Rancho 9000's, Skyjacker 1.5" rings
ViAir 380C@200psi, 5gal tank, Siege Anvil train horns say move *****!
Lightningfast01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Have you guys ever had problems with the Rotella vapor locking?
20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens

My Wife took ownership of:
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

Turned 100K miles 12-23-11

-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
mlsteele is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like the rotella synthetic oil and Donaldson filters (great seal and a bypass valve that wont leak contaminates).
New truck: 2002 PSD 4x4, CC, XLT, F350 dually. Air bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Fleetrite ELC, ISSPRO guages, DB HT starter (no more), Superchips 1705 tuner, Reese Titan, AIS, IPT pre-pump filter kit, in-tank mods, Redhead steering box.

Old truck: 2000 PSD 4x4, ext cab, XLT, F-350, auto, V-code springs, air bags, coolant filter, 203 thermostat, Fleetrite ELC, DB Alternator, DB high-torque starter, Tru-cool Max-cool trans cooler, B&M trans temp gauge, 47 gallon Titan tank, IPT pre-pump filter kit.
dlblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
X2 On the Rotella 5W40.

2000 F250 XLT PSD Crewcab, Longbed, 4x4, Auto, LS 3.73
Ford AIS, Frantz Bypass Oil Filter, Baldwin Bypass Coolant Filter, Fumoto Drain Valve, 203* Thermostat, Stancor
Bilstein Shocks all the way around, Timbren SES (Rear), Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T 265/75/16
Commander Monitor (gauges), Crimestopper CS-2016 DP II FM Remote Start/Alarm/Paging/Turbo Timer/Keyless
Rotella 5W40 Oil
, Texaco ELC Coolant, Mobile 1 ATF Trans and PS

My mods, repairs, and other truck Stuff
Jinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I ran Rotella 5-40 in everything from my ATV to diesel. Some company patented the 6 liter oil filter so they are ALL the same reguardless of who's name is on it...
Never heard of oil vapor locking...
Quad pillar Air, trans temp, pyro, boost
Magnaflow 15954, ATS studs
Transfer Flow 46gal midship tank
Firestone Airbags 2400 kit ViAir 250C compressor
Eaton TruTrac, Rancho 9000's, Skyjacker 1.5" rings
ViAir 380C@200psi, 5gal tank, Siege Anvil train horns say move *****!
Lightningfast01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8534 View Post
What do you think the best motor oil is? I have 2003 6.0 F250 33000 miles on Her.
I've run nothing but DELO 400 CI & CJ 15W40 for 76k. I change at 7.5k intervals & take an OA to track fuel dilution. Blackstone says the engine is doing just fine, and the oil could go to 8k if I wanted.

If I lived in a cold place, I'd run Schaeffer's 9000 5W40 year around w/ bypass filtration & extend to 15k intervalls.

The 6.0 is notorious for shearing, but the Schaeffer's has shown itself very stable in a 6.0. The DELO does shear, but agian Blackstone thinks mhy engine is doing fine with it. It starts right up, doesn't smoke or surge & runs good.

OMC
Old 12-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have run Schaeffer 9000 for 5 OCI's. The viscosity did indeed hold up well. The issue was that the last 3 analyses, the lead numbers have crept up (7-9 ppm from 1-2). They are not real high, but they are up. There are multiple other posts across the boards on Schaeffer 9000 and high lead (20-30 ppm on some). I have switched because of this (and before my lead goes higher). Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 is highly recommended (but expensive).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 12-22-2008 at 12:30 PM.
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
I have run Schaeffer 9000 for 5 OCI's. The viscosity did indeed hold up well. The issue was that the last 3 analyses, the lead numbers have crept up (7-9 ppm from 1-2). They are not real high, but they are up. There are multiple othet posts across the boards on Shaeffer 9000 and high lead (20-30 ppm on some). I have switched because of this (and before my lead goes higher). Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 is highly recommended (but expensive).
I agree with Bismic.

My lead #'s and now Iron #'s are creaping up with the Schaeffer's. Lead is 11 and my last Iron was 48. Iron and Lead are higher than I have experienced before.

I have tried Rotella T 5W-40 in the past and it gave more OK results.

I'm going to try Mobil 1 5W-40 for a few changes, and I'll post my results with this oil.
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L PSD,CC,SB,FX4, Black with the Chrome Package with Chrome Door Pulls. Smoked windows, Rhinolined, 4" Stainless Turbo-back Magnaflow exhaust, Zoodad mod., DEE ZEE mud flaps, CCV rerouted, High Idle mod., High beams w/Fog Lights mod, Sylvania Silverstars in Headlamps and Fog Lamps, Intake Elbow from intakeelbows.com, SCT X Cal2 programmed by Eric from Innovative Diesel, Dieselsite Coolant filter, Quadzilla Commander Monitor with Fuel Pressure Kit, Autometer Oil Pressure gauge.

2008 Ford Edge Limited. AWD, Vista Roof aka Big Ass Moonroof, Navigation System. Black with Chrome 20" wheels. It has ALL the Options for an Edge.

My other toys:

2006 Rinker 232 Captiva Liberty Edition Bowrider. White gelcoat with Red band in the middle. Fuel Injected 320 HP Volvo Penta 350 with duoprops and captians call exhaust.

2004 Jayco 27BH travel trailer.

2005 John Deere 5303 64HP 3cyl. Turbo Diesel Utility Tractor with 512 Loader/Bale Spike. Too many implements to list.
bcollison1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollison1 View Post

I'm going to try Mobil 1 5W-40 for a few changes, and I'll post my results with this oil.
Please do. I've thought of trying Mobil 1 too, but have not heard much feedback.

2000 F250 XLT PSD Crewcab, Longbed, 4x4, Auto, LS 3.73
Ford AIS, Frantz Bypass Oil Filter, Baldwin Bypass Coolant Filter, Fumoto Drain Valve, 203* Thermostat, Stancor
Bilstein Shocks all the way around, Timbren SES (Rear), Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T 265/75/16
Commander Monitor (gauges), Crimestopper CS-2016 DP II FM Remote Start/Alarm/Paging/Turbo Timer/Keyless
Rotella 5W40 Oil
, Texaco ELC Coolant, Mobile 1 ATF Trans and PS

My mods, repairs, and other truck Stuff
Jinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
JBs

Rotella T

I have always heard good things about the Rotella T oil and use it in my Farm Tractors. However I know someone personaly who has used the Rotella in a new 6.0 Diesel and repeatedly had Injector O-Ring failures. After switching to Motorcraft Oil the problem went away. Anyone else ever heard of a specific Oil causing O-Ring failure?
JBs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Rotella all the way. 15W40 if you tow. You will break down a lighter weight oil very quickly if you tow and don't run the 15W40.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

I always run Rotella in my truck too.
SCT X3 Custom Tuned by Innovative,
58v FICM Tuned by Innovative,
MBRP Stainless 4" Turbo Back,
ISSPRO Pyro,Boost, & Trans Gauges
Prodigy Brake Controller,Remote Start and Turbo Cooldown,
High Idle Mod., PM-13A on the Oil Pan,
HFCM Plug Upgrade,DieselSite Coolant Filter,
Blue Spring Mod, 08 Diff Cover,
Banjo Bolt Mod, Energy Suspension Bushings,& Stanadyne every tank
my03psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just switched from 10-30 regular oil(winter) 15-40 (summer) to Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40. That was the oil the dealer recommended. On my second oil change with it. My local shop(not dealer) who does my oil changes and anything not related to the motor(for now) is a BG dealer and I am running one of their additives. So far it's been good, starts well and runs good cold. Real test will be when morning temps get down below 50, don't think we're going to get them for a while. I do have a stiction issue but need cold temps to see if the oil helps and additive helps. Ran Hot Shot Secret with Ford 10W-30 in the winter and it ran great. Not easy to get HSS here in Canada.

Doug
2007 F-350 Crew Cab DRW 4X4 4.10LS, MBRP 4" Cool Duals turbo back, SCT/ custom tunes from Elite Diesel, Autometer gauges EGT, Trans, Fuel Pressure, MSD Dash hawk OBD II reader for ECT,EOT,Voltage and Boost, Dieselsite coolant filter,EGR delete
dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.