What's it take to fix a 6.0 FOR GOOD! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's it take to fix a 6.0 FOR GOOD!

Head gaskets, oil leaks, injector failures, coolant spewing from overflow, egr failures. oil cooler failures, etc. I've had most of these problems on my 2006 6.0 powerstroke. I stay on top of my maint. and follow severe service intervals. Had ARP studs put in with head gasket work 20,000 miles back. I've got 71,000 miles on the truck now and coolant is spatting out of overflow again. My warranty runs out in July of this year and want it to be realiable for me from this point on. How do I ensure that I fix all the problems that plague this engine for good. Are the mechanics just as much to blame? I'm tired of paying for somebody to turn wreches on this stinkin' thing and it's still under warranty.
Fandini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
Head gaskets, oil leaks, injector failures, coolant spewing from overflow, egr failures. oil cooler failures, etc. I've had most of these problems on my 2006 6.0 powerstroke. I stay on top of my maint. and follow severe service intervals. Had ARP studs put in with head gasket work 20,000 miles back. I've got 71,000 miles on the truck now and coolant is spatting out of overflow again. My warranty runs out in July of this year and want it to be realiable for me from this point on. How do I ensure that I fix all the problems that plague this engine for good. Are the mechanics just as much to blame? I'm tired of paying for somebody to turn wreches on this stinkin' thing and it's still under warranty.

As I was reading this I noticed an advertisement at the bottom of the page for Steel Seal - which claims to repair head gaskets with no disassembly! Wow, it comes with a lifetime guarantee too! Maybe that is the answer?
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Like anything else - MUCH depends on the quality of workmanship.

ARP studs should be good if done right and if the heads are flat and not cracked or corroded.

Injectors are typically reliable if the fuel pressure is above the minimum acceptable level and you have the proper oil, filter, and oil change interval. The upgraded fuel pressure regulator spring is a "must install" IMO.

With proper coolant, coolant level, coolant changes, good head gasket sealing, your oil cooler reliability should not be an issue.

Either delete the EGR system or install a bulletproof EGR cooler and it will be reliable.

Have the STC fitting replaced w/ the one-piece upgrade. At the same time, have the stand pipes and dummy plugs replaced (upgraded parts). The larger turbo oil drain tube is also a good thing to install if you donlt already have it.

Install gauges - you need to know what is going on, including turbo boost if you don't already have it.

But I do believe the most important component of all - make sure you have good mechanics doing the work you need.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD Billet WaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs

Last edited by bismic; 03-08-2011 at 03:30 AM.
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Master Diesel Tech? Come on............where's the love man? Your killin' me doc. "I'm a doctor not a................"

Guess it's past my bedtime
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is there any way you can find out how good the diesel mechanics are, maybe a web site or some place that rates the dealers work. I'm basing everything on what I've heard and both mechanics that have worked on my truck are well respected based on what I can find out, but both of them have called each others practices into question, claiming that the other guy did something questionalble which in their opinion may have caused the problem. Some of the comments made have even sounded a little fishy which makes me feel like I can't trust any of them 100%. I feel like since it's warranty work they may not be following all the correct procedures since it takes to long. how can I find out if they are doing it right?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Master Diesel Tech? Come on............where's the love man? Your killin' me doc. "I'm a doctor not a................"

Guess it's past my bedtime

i dont know about you,but,i picked up on a certain level of sarcasm.well done doc!!!!!!
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I picked up on it too, but I was looking for solid input from experts like the Doc.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

My 2006 has 44200 miles. So far its had a rear main seal (Under warranty) The keyhole gasket at the top fuel filter, alternator and just yesterday every part of the AC system except for the evap and hoses was replaced. (Desicant throughout)

My warranty is up in OCT of 11 so I am thinking of going to powerstroke magic and letting them do the ARPs and Gasket and EGR, coolant bypass and oil bypass. Also investigating switching to an ELC coolant.
I feel your pain. We thought we were buying a 10year truck only to find out its anything but. I have no choice as I think its cheaper to make the 6.0 reliable as opposed to starting over with a new 5 year note. THANKS GOVT and FORD.

Last edited by MoreOrLes; 03-06-2011 at 11:55 PM.
MoreOrLes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess I'm in the minority. I think the 6.0 is a great engine. It was all the bullshyt Ford attached to it that made it the problem child it is (and the emissions regulations to no fault on Ford). The EGR...what a joke....personally...if/when the time comes..I'd buy a brand new crate engine..and spend the extra $5k or so to modify it to what it orignally should've been.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Okay. Sorry for the rare candor. You really HAVE to base the quality of a service facility and the technicians that work there by local reputation and experience. I don't see any other way to gauge it.

Concerning the coolant over flow issue the OP mentioned, it is not enough to repair the damage. You need to correct the cause. Head studs are nice, but we are finding out that they are not bullet proof. Unfortunately I have no direct experience with head studs but I can offer this... Over-boost conditions are the cause of 6.0L head gasket failures. It is important to be running the most current OEM calibration. Updates over the years have added built in strategies to detect and prevent over boost conditions. Having a healthy turbocharger is also a must.
Diesel Mentor Directory
Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ford Dr, for a guy like me who hasnt been to the dealership with my truck since 03/04, what does the dealership normally charge to hook the truck up and update the programming? Wish there was a DIY way.
2003 F350 Lariat 4x4 CC DRW, X Code Front Springs w/Fabtech 3.5" Spring Hangers, 5" rear blocks, MBRP 5" Dual Exhaust (No Cat), Edge Insight CTS, EAS w/ EGT Probe, AIC, Sinister Coolant Filter, Blue Spring Upgrade, Zerex ELC Coolant, Sinister EGR Delete, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, Updated Turbo Drain Tube, Updated Oil Cooler Cover, Updated Oil Feed Tube

ECM VXAP1N6
TCM TQAT0NA
NDAWIND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAWIND View Post
Ford Dr, for a guy like me who hasnt been to the dealership with my truck since 03/04, what does the dealership normally charge to hook the truck up and update the programming? Wish there was a DIY way.
You would be looking at updating all three modules - PCM, FICM and TCM if equipped. Being an early build engine it would likely have the inferred EBP strategy which takes a little extra time to run the VGT learn procedure but my thought is that 1 hour labor is typical and a fair charge.
Diesel Mentor Directory
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

read these sites and it should answer your questions:

www.bulletproofdiesel.com

&

Ford 6.0L Power Stroke Problem Solvers - Diesel Power Magazine
2 Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
As I was reading this I noticed an advertisement at the bottom of the page for Steel Seal - which claims to repair head gaskets with no disassembly! Wow, it comes with a lifetime guarantee too! Maybe that is the answer?
Yep, the treatment is about $100. per vehicle. My buddy used it on his kid's Firebird, worked as advertised, no problems in 2 years since treatment. This stuff was DESIGNED for HD diesel equipment, if it were me, I'd give it a shot.

John
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

I put the bulletpoof solution kit on my truck at 100k....(egr delete, oil cooler, arp studs and gaskets) aprox 1500.00 bucks...now have 130k an havent had any motor trouble
grayson20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.