White Smoke Exhaust, Engine Lag - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke Exhaust, Engine Lag

Guys,

Been having issues lately, for the past few months but only getting worse recently.

Symptoms:

-White Smoke from exhaust when I accelerate until turbo is boosted to max then it stops. Until, I stop again to repeat this.

- Engine is lugging and sounds rough when I accelerate as well until i reach near max boost.

- Takes a long time to get up over hills or to accelerate to a reasonable speed over 25mph. Once engine and transmission are up to temp it gets easier to boost my way through all the lugging and go somewhere, but until then forget it.

DTCs: P132B, no others of relevance.

Mods: New Edge Juice Attitude with CS, 5' MBRP Exhaust Turbo Back cat Delete, Bully Dog Intake

Repairs: Recently changed oil to Full Synthetic 5w-40, Motorcraft filter,
Fuel filters changed motorcraft
EGR valve cleaned
VGT relearn attempted, although I cant seem to find any KOEO procedure that is right, all seem to contradict themselves.
Intake filter cleaned.

Actions Taken: New EGR Valve on the way

Possible causes: EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler?

Note: Truck has 147,000 miles on it, gets opened up almost everyday as daily driver. Coolant levels ok. No leaks that I can see/notice. Please dont answer with go back to stock, thanks for the help.

Mike
MBRP 5" Turbo Back Straight Pipe Exhaust, Cat Delete
180 Watt Whelen Monster Box Strobe kit. 8 strobes 22.5 watts each.
Rough Country R9000 Shocks
General Grabber AT2 Tires 285's
Western Vee Plow

piloting a fire breathing, over boosted, turbo charged, tire smoking, panic inducing, ear drum abusing, spinal adjusting, snow storms nightmare. 2003 f-350 6.0, kinda fast...

Last edited by wpfd; 10-17-2011 at 01:24 PM.
wpfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

?????
Western Vee Plow

piloting a fire breathing, over boosted, turbo charged, tire smoking, panic inducing, ear drum abusing, spinal adjusting, snow storms nightmare. 2003 f-350 6.0, kinda fast...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
DMC

My Photos: (2)
Does your truck have any aftermarket gauges?

If so, what's the delta between your engine oil temp and your engine coolant temp at 60mph for 20 minutes on a flat grade?

Is your coolant degas bottle puking coolant?
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not puking coolant for sure.

I have a Multi Gauge reader. The information your asking for cant be done as of yet. Ill have to take on the interstate for that speed and road grade.

Thank you for getting back to me though!
Western Vee Plow

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

P0132B is a turbo code for an inferred EBP calibration. Most likely it is stuck or sticking. VGT relearn will occur automatically when the conditions are right . The engine has to be running.
Kevooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok so new Code. P0269. Cylinder #3 Balance/Contribution. Truck is running even worse now and it is parked for now, until i can get enough money saved up to have a tech do work. I feel to repair myself is way above my head. Truck will have to sit.... any ideas?

Also I wanted to do the full BulletProof Kit while the heads are off. I.E. Studs, Heads Gaskets, EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler, Turbo Recondition, etc.

With this kit what am I looking at for a tech do all the repairs and installs?

My current guy is $93 an hour.

I tried to shop around but no one else around me will touch this engine outside of a dealer.
Western Vee Plow

Old 10-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

staying with the factory oil cooler will same you alot of money and in my opinion is better than a remot cooler. the factory cooler regulates the pressure, which is good on a diesel. they perform best at a certain temp, too hot or too cool isn't good. make sure that u get the gold coolant out asap if not already. do the flush, put elc in it, put a coolant filtration system on it and ur antifreeze should outlast the motor. if you cna afford a bulletproofing package, do studs, put new ford gaskets on, not black onyx, check heads for cracks, upgrade to the one piece stc oil fitting(only if its an '05-'07), ford oil cooler if needed, clean turbo, do the blue spring upgrade. if you dont have to worry about emissions testing, get an egr delete, and an sct x3 if you want to keep this truck for a long time. if you want to keep the edge, get a bulletproof egr cooler.
05 f250 6.0 xlt ext. cab long box Fx4, 130k auto, 3.73's, stainless along bottom, 105 gallon L-shaped fuel tank, 8'6" Boss poly v-plow, 2 cracked y pipes, replaced egr valve, replaced ficm, 2 new napa batteries, new ford 140amp alternator, blue spring upgrade, scanguage II, sinister cooant filtration system, drivers side ball joints at 130k, retired juice w/ attitude on the shelf

**to do list**
egr delete, programmer, egt and fp gauge, coolant flush with elc, 5" turbo back

99 f250 5.4 xlt reg cab long box 4x4 5pd manual, 125K, 4.10s, L-shaped fuel tank, shot one plug

11 f150 King ranch 4x4 3.53s, CC 5.0 6sp, 2 tone white/tan, everything but tailgate step
Joe_r_dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

*********UPDATE*******

Ran some tests today.

At 65mph for 20 minutes, on a mostly flat highway with engine up to full operating temps I took some readings from my Edge. These are readings after the 20 minute drive while i continued to drive.

EOT- 198*
ECT- 188*
FICM- 47.5-48.5 volts, mostly 48 flat throughout
ICP- 1.08-1.27ms
VGT Duty Cycle- 50%
MAP- 15psi
MAF- 99-102 a/s
Baro- 14.5psi

DTCs are:
P1000 - OBD2 Test not complete/ Drive Cycle
P132B- Turbo Boost Control/Performance
P0480- Cooling Fan Circuit Malfunction, This Ive had for ever. Replaced fan and harness to no avail. Works fine though.
There was no Cylinder #3 Balance/Contribution code since last time I cleared it.

After the highway drive test I decided to open it up from a dead stop. Full acceleration.

VGT Duty Cycle- At Stop 70%, At Full Throttle 38%

No serious change in other parameters other than ICP, MAF, MAP, IPS. These increased with throttle and decreased with coasting to return to normals.

*Slight hesitation in turbo at Full Throttle.
*Low boost and White Smoke one time after I ran full throttle test a few times, felt like turbo didnt spool but then blew white smoke and opened up, and kicked off.
*There is a lugging/missing sound every few seconds I noticed at idle. (Rump Rump) Then it returns back to normal. Then makes sound again Truck very slightly bucks, then returns back to normal idle.

White Smoke was a lot less than it was before.
Coolant still full, no puking, no leaks.

I was thinking EGR Cooler, but after this I am not so sure. It does sound very rough in lower RPM ranges, until I open it up, then it seems to flow free.
Western Vee Plow

Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
DMC

My Photos: (2)
Sorry if I missed it, but have you ever pulled and cleaned the turbo?
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

No sir, I have not. I have been debating it recently. I have thought of it being an issue, but would it explain the white smoke and surging, bucking at idle?
Western Vee Plow

Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Sounds like an injector thats sticking, White smoke is also cause from lack of heat during combustion. Does your exhaust have a strong scent? kinda burns the eyes? if it does then its fuel, if its sweet smelling its coolant.
What was the temp outside when u did the test? Does ur vgt stay at 50 or does it bounce around 50%?

Insight CS (ICP psi, RPM, Boost, VGT%, Trans. ECT, EOT, EGT)
Ipr egr dlt. w/stainless up pipe, new oem oil cooler
Updated stand pipes/dummy plugs
Stc fitting update
Blue spring mod
MBRP 4" tb cat. dlt. w/5" Tip
Coolant filter w/ elc coolant
Trans:Mercon LV w/ '08 pan filter and oil pan
HFCM Drain plug
Hydronic 5 Espar Heater,
High Idle Mod,
Rotella T6 5w40 year round,
Viper 5901
'11 Tailgate & Rear Bumper
Bushwacker Fender flares
party_boy114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_boy114 View Post
Sounds like an injector thats sticking, White smoke is also cause from lack of heat during combustion. Does your exhaust have a strong scent? kinda burns the eyes? if it does then its fuel, if its sweet smelling its coolant.
What was the temp outside when u did the test? Does ur vgt stay at 50 or does it bounce around 50%?
Hmm i will run some more additive. Maybe hot shots additive and a diesel fuel additive? Also I will run a new Blue Spring kit soon, clean VGT, and do a high idle mod. hopefully this is a stupid small fix and not something much bigger. I will get back to you on the smells. I am going to swap my EGR with a new one to see what happens as well.

Thanks

Mike
Western Vee Plow

Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have this exact same problem, but this is my first diesel and I'm clueless on what to do. Checked my egr, filters etc. Taking it to a Ford shop on Friday to see what I can do to fix it but any help would be appreciated aswell
Streetracer96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetracer96 View Post
I have this exact same problem, but this is my first diesel and I'm clueless on what to do. Checked my egr, filters etc. Taking it to a Ford shop on Friday to see what I can do to fix it but any help would be appreciated aswell
I am going to try the cheaper fixes first and hope its just stiction, but it may also be a busted EGR cooler worst case or oil cooler. The symptoms are not complete for either, but some match up.

So first up is...

Blue Spring Upgrade
VGT Recondition
EGR Valve Replacement (even though i just cleaned the last one and have no DTCs for it)
and...
Firepower Diesel Additive
Either Rev-x or Hot Shots Oil Additive... Currently reading up on both to decide. I have used Hot Shots before and didnt see a difference. May try Rev-X.

If all of this doesnt help, may be a worse issue.
Western Vee Plow

Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

X 2 on the rev X !
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.