Will it hurt if I put red (off road) diesel in my truck? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will it hurt if I put red (off road) diesel in my truck?

What is in this fuel that will hurt the injection system of my new 6.0 L ?
Has anyone ever done this ??
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
GEM

My Photos: (10)
Re: Will it hurt if I put red (off road) diesel in my truck?

Won't hurt the truck but it will hurt your wallet if the authorities catch you! The reason it is lower cost is because it is not taxed. The red stuff is dye (hint).

GEM
'01 F250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT SD SC SWB Harvest Gold, PMT1(stock)/Tipton 4-pos chip(PMT1), Factory Tech Monster Box, Dieselsite trans filter, Tru-Cool, 3.73 LS, camper/offroad/tow, chrome steps, cab clearance lights, Lund deflector, bedliner, Pro Flaps, Warn 9500# front/rear receiver mounted winch, Tekonsha brake controller, 285/75R16 Yokohama Geolander AT+II's, A-pillar w/ISSPRO EV gauges, ISSPRO Turbo Temp monitor, "Hutch" fuel mods, 'Pooned tank, Airdog, open element intake w/Zoodad, ATS housing, CCV reroute, ITP H/X, JNB reg fuel return and supply w/no CVs & restrictors, AD#8, TC lock, power pedal, manual idle, coolant filter, DPPI T409 exhaust w/3.5" DP, Aeroturbine, Tuff Country 2.5" leveling kit & 4" rear blocks <font color="red">www.gmayle.com</font>

<font color="blue"> Colorado Powerstroke Club </font>
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Has anyone who has been driving a diesel for years ever had their tank checked ever ?
I have never heard of anyone getting checked...
Old 05-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Noone I know ever has and I grew up in a huge farm town. Hint! Hint!
2004 F-250 Lariat 6.0 4x4 CC Short Bed ,05 front end conversion, 05 flares ,4in. lift, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 20x12 Weld Cheyennes, MBRP 3.5 DP 4 out to 6in. Silverline tip, SCT tuner, Quadzilla Monster intake KandN filter and camoed out!
RaulDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone who has been driving a diesel for years ever had their tank checked ever ?

[/ QUOTE ]

We buy off road fuel for our equipment. They do come and check our trucks every so often.. Penalty here is back taxes on every drop of off road diesel you have pruchased for the past five years.... We fuel our trucks @ the local station and maintain meticulous records to avoid that lovely little surprise.

2004 F250/6.0/CC/Auto... Not exactly loving life anymore, gave back to momma ford..

2005 F350SRW/6.0/CC/Auto/FX4... OOPS, I left it on his lot. NO tolerance for stealers that try and screw me..

06 F350SRW/6.0/Auto.CC/LWB/4x4 ordered 5/4/05.. VIN recieved 5/17/05. Truck on the dealers floor 6/15/05

5/18/07 49k FLAWLESS miles.. I love this truck

11/17/07: 59k miles: EGR hiccup.. Still love this truck

12/14/09: 95k HARD working Miles.. Front cover puked water, dropped off at dealer, part backordered.. Still love this truck
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Do you have a way to get it? Sometimes that is the hard part unless you have it delivered to your barrel on your property
'04 Ford F-250 CC short box, SCT Extreme tune from Innovative diesel, 3.5" boost tubes, superior tube-and-fin intercooler, Banks High-Ram inlet, and Monster exhaust. For gauges I have EGT's, boost, manifold air temp, water temp, EOT, EOP, tranny temp and tranny pressure.

13.8 @ 96.29
elkcreekwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have heard stories about authorities checking tanks on pickups at farm auctions. Might just be an urban legend, or should I say, a rural legend. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Flywheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have been dipped twice; once at Cheyenne Frontier Days and the other at the CO State Fair. Pretty heafty fines, too.

Ford has attempted to deny warranty claims on an '03 rescue truck with C-94 injectors due to the use of non-taxed "red fuel". This particular fuel is low sulfur dyed #2 that is sold to the county for all its trucks and equipment.
062283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

lol, it will run fine, i will never run that crap in my truck again because when i had my first truck dot pulled me over to check my trailer (cause i was speeding) and i had redfuel, i was sweeting bullets but he didn't check. After that i changed my fuel, fuel filter. And will never run again, but it works fine, i have a buddy with a 03 with about 80k on her and every drop has been koolaid lol.
04 F-350 CC DRW, Black outs, gn hitch, Elite custon tuning, Elite stage 4 injectors, Elite fuel system, One big turbo, 2 stage NOS, 2500rpm converter, AFE Stage II intake. 12.537 at 110mph 6kfeet and 8k pounds. 13.05 #2
Tow rig
06 cc drw, fully loaded.. Elite custom tuning, exhaust, AFE intake, soon to have elite stage 3 injectors and experimental elite compounds
AllDiesels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 01:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Send a message via ICQ to rgdillon

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were driving in Northern Virginia about two weeks ago - you had an excellent chance of being dipped. They were out in full force at all rest stops and scale stations.

Ron

<font color="blue"></font>

<font color="green">2004 F-350 King Ranch CC SRW - HP Green -</font> AIC mod, Di–Pricol Gauges, Silverline, BrakeSmart and a few other things . .
<font color="green"> King Ranch Pictures </font>

<font color="green">Strobe Video</font>
OLD -<font color="red">2001 F350 Lariat PSD 4x4 Crew/Dually</font> - AIC, AIS, Di–Pricol Gauges, AMSOIL Dual Bypass Remote, SunCoast Transmission, Tru-Cool Max, Wicked Wheel, TS Performance 75/75/125 Flip, SilverLine SS Dual Exhaust and some other stuff.
rgdillon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

The thing it does is turn your fuel filter dark purple, so its hard to tell when your filter is dirty. But I'm LAKER fan so no big deal. Um, I use it in my diesel forklift.

<font color="brown"><font color="#666666">2002 LIMITED ULTIMATE 4X4, 7.3 PSD, MINERAL GREY</font> </font>, Putco Grill w/vent inserts, AIS, Banks Monster 4" Turbo Back, Bilsteins, Hellwig, AIH Plug + Code Eliminator, 203 T-stat, Coolant Filter, Fuel Bowl Drain Mod, BVR+/WW in the box still, FPR @ 65-68psi, Gauges: Pyro, Boost, Trans., A LITTLE help from Jody, BTS Valve Body.
<font color="blue">MY Local Service Dept.--&gt; [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] + [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] + [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] = Me--&gt;</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

<font color="purple">TRUCK PICS.</font>
ForumBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

FHAREN,
You have a PM
04 6.0 EB PSD Excursion, 4x4, 7" Superlift 10 leaf system, 315 BFG AT's, DVD System, Pioneer GPS NAV, iPod connection, Remote Start Alarm, 6 Infinity 5x7's, 2 amps, 2 Infinity 10" subs, 3 Pillar Gauges, 4" Magnaflow SS TB exhaust, Bilstein shocks, 8" Pro Comp lights, and airbags.

PICS http://community.webshots.com/user/skygod73
skygod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 04:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a way to get it? Sometimes that is the hard part unless you have it delivered to your barrel on your property

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep,
My dad has a construction company and I have access to all the diesel I want for free, but it's all red.

I don't think I am going to do it becuase I don't want to pay the fines, and I don't mind paying taxes to live in a good country.
I just need to talk dad into buying a non-red diesel tank for his other trucks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (52)

Been checked twice [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], Once in WA and Once in OR [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I think they look for "excessive smoke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]" as some kind of indication for some reason [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img].
01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
CSIPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've seen them dip in washington before. Never been dipped myself (virgin?)
-T
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.