Y-Pipe Cracked..........FUMES.....Best Fix? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2003-Up Super Duties and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.0L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Y-Pipe Cracked..........FUMES.....Best Fix?

My 2004 with 65,000 miles has some bad fumes in the cab, I thought it was just the wind. Sitting in traffic with vent/defroster on is the worst, once moving, no problems. After researching this site and crawling under truck seems the Y-Pipe is leaking. I am a fair mechanic and do a lot myself, but this looks like a PITA. How much would a dealer charge, and how good would the replacement pipe be? Can any exhaust shop do this? I've seen some aftermarket y-pipes on line. Also, would this leak explain a power lag on take off? No other issues, the truck runs fine and is all stock except for muffler delete.
So many questions, I've only had this 6.0 a few months and I want to like it.
Thanks for any help................................hparm

SOLD
2004 (early) F350 Lariat 6.0 Auto, FX4, 78,000 miles, CC, DRW 4x4, Tinted windows,,.......Amsoil in Motor, Trans, power steering, rear end....Dieselsite coolant filter.................White

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 3612 Raptor,
1997 FLSTF
hparm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Got the same type smell in my cab as well. I have not checked my Y pipe yet but will now. My dealer could not find the cause of the smell two weeks ago. Anybodys input would be helpful.
scbrown74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's not that big of a job. The worst part is getting the front of the truck jacked up high enough off the ground to get the downpipe out.....if it's the factory one. Remove the trans x-member, and jack up the trans and truck about 2 feet high. The downpipe will snake out. Take your time, it will come out. Loosen the y-pipe from the turbo and both sides. Slide it over to the right side, and it will come down behind the engine and out the bottom where the downpipe did.
2005 F250 XLT Super Duty Crew 4WD. White/Silver. K&N intake. Hypertech programmer. No muffler. Stock everything else. Other trucks: 1979 Kenworth W900A, 1982 Kenworth Cabover (BJ and the Bear) 1997, 1998, and 2000 Kenworth W900's. All Caterpillar Power. 1979A model just got marine application 2-piece pistons, nozzles, and ATAAC. Sure is sweet!!! 500 to the ground, and no smoke!

Transporter and Operator of a Bauer Built Championship Unlimited Tractor Pulling Sled for the United Pullers of the Carolinas, Region IV affiliate of the National Tractor Pullers Association (NTPA), and damn proud of it!!!!
ericjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
I just had a cracked Y-pipe repaired two weeks ago. About $700 to repair at the Ford Dealership. And, yes, this problem will not only cause fumes in the cab but also lack of power/boost at takeoff.
2003 Eddie Bauer Excursion (born 8 Apr 03), 6.0L PSD (Oxford White & Arizona Beige), 117k miles and going strong, C95 Fuel Injectors, 4x4, 5-spd Torqshift, 3.73 Rear, Heated two-tone leather seats, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Bilstein Shocks, PSD Badges, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller. Engine Repairs: 2009-ICP and ICP Harness & Exhaust Y-Pipe. 1972 Airstream Sovereign Travel Trailer.

US Navy Retired

Last edited by MelloMike; 12-17-2009 at 01:14 PM.
MelloMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbrown74 View Post
Got the same type smell in my cab as well. I have not checked my Y pipe yet but will now. My dealer could not find the cause of the smell two weeks ago. Anybodys input would be helpful.
Same thing here - turned out to be loose clamp on turbo exhaust and loose exhaust manifold bolts - mostly gone now - but there's still some remnant - so I will have to check it further.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Where do the pipes usually crack at?
SCT X3 Custom Tuned by Innovative,
58v FICM Tuned by Innovative,
MBRP Stainless 4" Turbo Back,
ISSPRO Pyro,Boost, & Trans Gauges
Prodigy Brake Controller,Remote Start and Turbo Cooldown,
High Idle Mod., PM-13A on the Oil Pan,
HFCM Plug Upgrade,DieselSite Coolant Filter,
Blue Spring Mod, 08 Diff Cover,
Banjo Bolt Mod, Energy Suspension Bushings,& Stanadyne every tank
my03psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my03psd View Post
Where do the pipes usually crack at?
The flex joint..
2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; AIC; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155cc injectors from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); SCT with tuning by Tony Wildman (Total Diesel Performance) & Innovative Diesel; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7; Fumoto valve; B&W hitch, Di-Pricol gauges; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; Timbrens; Rancho RSXs; Michelin XPS Traction's; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT; JL Audio 275w amp driving a 12" sub; JL Audio 50wx4 amp driving the Alpine door and rear seat speakers. 380.3hp/786.7ft-lbs (on my tow tune!)

pics

SLAPS President and Webmaster
teamroper60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
The flex joint..
Are there any gaskets that need to be replaced when you R&I the Y-pipe?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Anybody??
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I did some research ($750-$875) and decided to have it replaced at a local Ford dealer who helped me out on the price ($700 parts, labor, tax) The tech has done many of these and after I fiqured the cost of parts the cold weather and a chance of screwing it up, I let him have it. My wife has too many things for me to finish on our home at the moment and I didn't want to hear the b**ching about laying under my truck for hours.

SOLD
2004 (early) F350 Lariat 6.0 Auto, FX4, 78,000 miles, CC, DRW 4x4, Tinted windows,,.......Amsoil in Motor, Trans, power steering, rear end....Dieselsite coolant filter.................White

2008 3612 Raptor,
1997 FLSTF
Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Let us know how it turns out.
2003 Eddie Bauer Excursion (born 8 Apr 03), 6.0L PSD (Oxford White & Arizona Beige), 117k miles and going strong, C95 Fuel Injectors, 4x4, 5-spd Torqshift, 3.73 Rear, Heated two-tone leather seats, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Bilstein Shocks, PSD Badges, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller. Engine Repairs: 2009-ICP and ICP Harness & Exhaust Y-Pipe. 1972 Airstream Sovereign Travel Trailer.

US Navy Retired
MelloMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Got my truck back tonight, so far so good, no smell..........wallet is $700 lighter.......But we can breathe, for now..........Thanks for the replys

SOLD

2008 3612 Raptor,
1997 FLSTF
Old 12-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

If anyone decides to fix one themselves, give us a call. I can help you out a bit on parts. We sell quite a few of these; I usually have them on the shelf.

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

How to video on exhaust replacement.

Good video regarding the removal and upgrade of exhaust on 6 and 7.3 Exhaust. Have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wEKrjwnVE
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 6.0L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.