The Diesel Stop banner

'01 4wd shift on the fly problem

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Cool_Canuck 
#1 ·
SITUATION - 15 mph in a pasture field, soft ground

PROBLEM - Shifted my 2001 F350 dually into 4wd high (electronic shift on the fly with hubs set at automatic) and front wheels locked up and would turn

Clues - got her back onto the gravel lane and could hear grinding coming from front hubs. would not dissengage after flipping swtich on dash. finnally dissengaged after manually swithing hubs from auto to locked and back to auto.

Any help with diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to TDS. First thing I would do is remove the hubs and clean them up. It is real easy to do. Try a search and you should find how to do it. If you don't just post back and we'll find it for you.
Joe

#4 ·
Also check for leaks with a cracked vaccum hoses that go to the hubs. Most change them out to SS hoses from www.dieselsite.com , makes a big difference. Also, cleaning and greasing the hubs, is a good idea.

#5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
thanks Joe. I looked here for step by steps for removing the hubs and didn't run across anything. is it on Diesel Stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is Gruzzle's Hub Lub which is pretty intensive. I've never taken mine that far apart. I just flush them with WD40. Works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.