The Diesel Stop banner

'01 7.3l intermittent hesitation, surging idle and sluggish acceleration.

32K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cat235d 
#1 ·
Fellas.....I'm having a hell of a time with my '01 PSD right now......When it rains it pours I guess.

I just got the HPOP seals replaced by my mechanic and it has cured the oil leak on the valley. I still have a leak that spots on the ground but the valley is dry...however that is for another time.

The truck is a 2001 7.3l PSD and has been a great truck, outside of a tranny failure because of a mechanical diode issue at 34K...and one CPS at 87K. It now sits at 137,000 miles. It is chipped lightly with a Quadzilla Zillaraider and has been so since it turned 100K. I did so to improve MPG and a little more pep but baby this truck when driving it. No extremely heavy towing....my bass boat, my buddies' duck boat and that is about it. Oil changed every 5K, fuel filter every 15-20K, run Lucas Injector Lube every third tank. Just changed the fuel and air filter two days ago

Here lies my recent problem after getting the HPOP seals fixed...four day ago while leaving a parking lot my truck died at idle waiting to turn....no hesitation no warning... just died. Started back up immediately and did not have any problem getting home. The next morning, I had a sluggish acceleration with a trail of white/gray smoke but it subsided before I left the subdivision. No more issues afterwards. Fast forward to last night on a trip to the lake with my boat, I had two pretty noticeable hesitations on the 40 minute drive to the lake. Kinda like what happens with the CPS but It kept on going these times versus complete shutdown. When I got to the ramp, my truck was surging at idle, enough that my buddy said you need to out this thing in the shop.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I hit the accelerator and it stopped, we unloaded the boat and went about our way. On the way home, after about 20 miles at a stop sign, it started a "sluggish shuddering or missing" upon acceleration. I backed off and retried it but it did it again. I did it a third time and it went back to normal. I drove the rest of the way home at 55mph with my flashers on expecting a complete shutdown froma CPS but it never happened. Put truck in driveway placed a piece of cardboard under it and there was no oil as there had been the day before. EVERY DANG THING IS INTERMTIITENT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Check on the fluids... Oil - full....Tranny - a little low but readable on the dipstick...Radiator - full. Air filter and fuel filter two days old.

My question after such a long detailed lead in is this another CPS going south? What else could it be if not??

I certainly appreciate any suggestions. I am recently unemployed so I am hoping it is nothing major.

See less See more
#2 ·
Another test today... I started it up and let her warm up for about 10 minutes hoping to create another oil dripping and to see if the idling would continue to be rough.... She started and idled fine....and no oil. Took her for a spin around the block and hammered down a few times. Shuddered and missed when "passing gear" kicked in, SES light came on...first time that's happened... Drove here home at low speed and parked her.

Any ideas fellas?

#3 ·
I think it may be the CPS starting again. Stranger things have happened. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#4 ·
Mine's doing the same thing. (see my post) My CPS is new from I/H, EMP sensor is new, new oil, air cleaner, fuel filter etc. Took it to Ford and they can't find anything wrong when they have it so it seems. They did pop a couple of codes, cleared them when they changed the emp sensor out and told me I might need a new PCM if it continues. I just ran over 100,000 and now they won't touch it. Runs great for them otherwise. I get it and it hesitates and then goes away. Check engine light will come on for a while and then go away. I'm going to check my IFR and fuel pump. Make sure I'm getting the fuel I need to it. Other than that, I feel your pain. I'm at a loss as well. Let me know what you find out and I will as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#5 ·
Have it scanned and see what code it is blowing.

#6 ·
OK new update....I ordered a new CPS off Ebay ...If it works, great, if not I'll need another here pretty soon.

Could there possibly be something wrong with my Quadzilla chip or could it need to be reprogrammed? The reason I ask it was bought in September and installed. It has performed well since the install.

In checking my fluid levels and the fuel filter bowl for water when I finally made it back home from the cutout/miss/hesitation ordeal above, I decide to pull the Quad and use the override connection. I was unable to duplicate the misses or cutouts with the override in. I replaced the Quad and the cutouts continued...specifically in passing gear. Pulled the quad and used the override.......no problems...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

I am at a loss here so any help or direction would certainly be appreciated. Again, could there possibly be something wrong with my Quadzilla chip or could it need to be reprogrammed?

Could the CPS be working without the chip but failing with the chip in?

Crazy I tell ya.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Any guidance would certainly be helpful.

My last resort right now is the stealership but will have it scanned there if all else fails. Right now I don't trust it, even without the chip, so it'll sit until I at least get the CPS in the mail.

FTR.... I have an email in to Quadzilla asking them the same but it'll have to wait untill they are back in the shop Monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.