The Diesel Stop banner

'01 Exc. weird starting issue

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  turbodave 
#1 ·
Posting here also to hit a larger audience:

lately my 01 Ex. has started exhibiting a strange cranking issue. This may be kinda lengthy.
A couple months ago during a tow trip (24' enclosed car hauler), I applied a little too much power during an up hill incline and set some kind of code. When I got home and read the code it pointed to the IPC having too much put to it. Too much throttle with too much load or something like that, so I then cleared the code. Since then:
1. First, the truck, once started seems to run perfectly.

2. Two known good Interstate batteries.

3. After it sits for a few days unatended, it is very slow to crank as though there's something draining the batteries. Can't imagine what it could be.

4. Drag out my battery charger and put it on trickle. Even after a couple days of that, it still cranks slower than its normal fast cranking.

5. During these slow cranking episodes the engine wont fire, which is not normal. Before all this, when sitting out in MI winters a few years ago, it would crank really slow but would eventually fire to life. Here in TN it's not cold enough to cause engine not to fire during slower cranking.

6. This morning for example, the batteries have been on trickle charge for a few days, metered the batteries and they measured 12.77. Still cranked slower than normal and took longer than normal fire to life. Drove a few miles to the dump to get rid of trash, drove back home shut the truck off, and it cranked very fast like normal, fired to life almost instantly.

7. Tomorrow morning I'll try and start it without the charger hooked up and see what it cranks and fires like. I'll measure them first to see what the voltage is. They measured 12.78 when I got home and it cranked super fast.

Any ideas out there??

See less See more
#5 ·
1. NO
2. Yes
3. No, as I stated, once started the truck runs perfectly. No lack of power, etc.
4. No, see 3

#3 ·
How old are the batteries? Sounds a like they are bad. Also remove and clean all grounds and positive connections.

They may charge up to 12.7 but if they don't have optimum cca anymore they aren't going to work well.

I just had this same issue.

#6 ·
They're only 4 months old, and have been tested at several different places. All checks are good. Their CCA actually test better than what's displayed on the battery.

#7 ·
That's rattling around in my head. this starter is about 7 years old. Top quality Hitachi brand, but one never knows.

#8 ·
Yesturday's static voltage after a drive was 12.78
Today 24 hours later, 12.71
will watch it for a few more days.

#9 ·
Now 48 hours later and batteries are at 12.63

#10 ·
That is typical voltage loss and a healthy battery should now hold around 12.6 volts from now on.

For example, my truck has been in storage and my unhooked batteries still held 12.6 after atleast 2 months of sitting.

#12 ·
I would say it is a starter going bad. Had it happen twice to me so far. The starter should spin the motor pretty fast if it is good.
DENNY

#13 ·
Hmm, today I thought I would back the truck out of the garage and let the alternator charge the batteries real good by letting it sit and idle for a while. At first I had the slow crank and no fire so I hooked up the battery charger on it's 100amp setting to get the truck to fire and it did.
Backed it out and let it sit and idle for about a half hour. Came out to put it back in the garage and the check engine light was on. Checked the code and it shows a P1670 (pointing to the Injector Drive Module) or feedback. Something entirely new. :-(
But at least the alternator was able to get the batteries peaked back up and it cranks fast and starts fast for now.

Wish I knew what the hell is going on with this truck.

#15 · (Edited)
I use a battery charger to get my battery voltage peaked.

Do you switch on a high idle to boost RPMs during that 30 minutes?

BTW, what was your voltage after these 4-5 days ?

#14 ·
I know it sounds absurd but I had the terminal connection go bad on the positive passenger side battery cable . Took me forever to figure out I was only on one battery. Thought my glow plugs were grounding somehow. I was tearing my hair out because how did this happen. Nonetheless bought a 6' cable and ran it to the other side and its fine now.

#17 ·
Finally ended up taking the truck into our local Powerstroke expert (not Ford). They quickly diagnosed that issue as a starter on its last leg.
Replaced with a new starter and all is well. Truck sat for 4 days and turned oper FAST, and Fired up immediately.

#19 ·
Ya mine sounded normal too when I got to the shop. Shop owner heard it and immediately said "lazy starter huh"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.