'01 F250 Powerstroke Will Not Start!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'01 F250 Powerstroke Will Not Start!!!

Gentelmen,
I recently purchased an '01 F250 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke which was not running and I can not make it start for the life of me. I have done some extensive searching in these and other forums and there is obviously some very knowledgeable people out there, so I am hoping someone can help. The engine is turning over fine and fast enough I believe, sounds right, it just won't start. Here is what I know/have checked:

-it has been sitting a while with no batteries. I scanned the computer and get no codes.
-I have replaced the CPS with one I know is good.
-I have checked the HPOP resivoir and it was full.
-The fuel pump is pumping, filling the filter housing, and I have drained water off.
-Oil level is full (if not slightly over-filled) although oil is very old and thin.
-When I crank it the tach does move slightly and the oil pressure comes up after 5 seconds or so of cranking. Also, the "wait to start is cycling" like it should.

Here is the real kicker though - it will not even pop off with starting fluid. I understand the LPOP, HPOP, or even old/broken down oil could cause this starting problem but regardless it should still start with eather - right?

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.
truckguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would check the batteries first. Even though the engine is turning over, it may not be turning over fast enough. Disconnect both batteries before checking them, because one good battery could make the other test good if they are connected.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Remember the three keys to make an engine run. Fuel, air, compression. Is it smoking black out of exhaust while cranking? If no smoke, no fuel, in most cases. The air shouldn't be an issue, although in one case I saw an air filter in a steel housing get sucked into the turbo. It smoked horrible, but that is something I would bet I will never se again. Compression is hard to tell, if it turns too fast, you might have a problem, if it is cranking too slow, it could be a lack of fuel. Remember the fuel injectors are fired by hpop, if there is problem there, it will be hard to find by old methods.
02 Ford Excursion 7.3L, 4x4, black/black trim, 4" lift, 35" duelers on (black w/chrome accents), 17's, 170K miles, Monster trans. w/John Woods accumulator, '07 Harley front end, Ranchhand bumper and Superwinch, 25" CREE LED 15,000 lumen lightbar, '08 heated mirrors, 2.5" cowl hood, Riff raff intake mod, 203 degree t-stat, Mishimoto radiator, Superchips programmer, F-350 crewcab nerf bars, Limited 2 tone leather interior, 16.5 roof mount television and Pioneer DVD touch screen head unit with 1200w amp feeding the mids and highs, and 1600w going to the 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" P3's. Viair 480C compressor and Nathan P3 train horns.

Wrecked--gone but not forgotten
01 F-350 CC DRW 4x4, bright red, 7.3
ron68coug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

On the batteries, I also have a 2003 that I drive daily which obviously has good batteries so I actually swapped those batteries in and it still wouldn't start. Most of the time I have also had a commercial charger with high amperage start olptiong hooked to it while cranking so I am relatively certain it is not a battery problem.

It seems to be turning over fast enough and definately not too slow. I am not getting smoke from the exhaust, but again - even if it is a fuel delivery problem shouldn't it be starting with the eather sprayed into the intake tube, even if it only runs a second...??
Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

PowerStroke diagnosis

Have you checked dieselmann's page which gives diagnostic procedures for starting problems? The link is above.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckguy1977 View Post
On the batteries, I also have a 2003 that I drive daily which obviously has good batteries so I actually swapped those batteries in and it still wouldn't start. Most of the time I have also had a commercial charger with high amperage start olptiong hooked to it while cranking so I am relatively certain it is not a battery problem.

It seems to be turning over fast enough and definately not too slow. I am not getting smoke from the exhaust, but again - even if it is a fuel delivery problem shouldn't it be starting with the eather sprayed into the intake tube, even if it only runs a second...??
Might need to get it on a scanner ,,,Look at ICP & IPR DC% while cranking ,,,,,
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did you check the #30 fuse if it bad un plug the fuel heater.It did it to me and wouldn't start just turn over.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dixon View Post
Did you check the #30 fuse if it bad un plug the fuel heater.It did it to me and wouldn't start just turn over.
He's getting a WTS light....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Try disconnecting the the plug on the IPR and see what happens.

Also, I'm curious...did you ever hear it run before it was bought? What does the previous owner have to say about it? A little history on it would be helpful.

Oh...and I'd be very careful with the ether
Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, CCV Canister Style Mod, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, Hella 80/100s, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny, 26 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
losfinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Don, thanks - I will check out Dieselmann.

I guess you guys are saying since I get the WTS that the fuel heater is OK??

I will certainly try disconnecting the IPR - what/where is it?

As for the history - I bought it from a dealer who deals in used work/fleat vehicles. He bought this truck in a block of 10 trucks and said it didn't run when he got it. I know I took a big chance, but I only paid $2000. He seamed like an honest enough guy, as far as a used car dealer can be, and he told me he thought it was the fuel pump because he said he actually started it and heard it run with ether. However, I can not do the same.

BTW, I genuinly want to thank you guys for your pateince and input.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Did it come from Louisiana?
02 Ford Excursion 7.3L, 4x4, black/black trim, 4" lift, 35" duelers on (black w/chrome accents), 17's, 170K miles, Monster trans. w/John Woods accumulator, '07 Harley front end, Ranchhand bumper and Superwinch, 25" CREE LED 15,000 lumen lightbar, '08 heated mirrors, 2.5" cowl hood, Riff raff intake mod, 203 degree t-stat, Mishimoto radiator, Superchips programmer, F-350 crewcab nerf bars, Limited 2 tone leather interior, 16.5 roof mount television and Pioneer DVD touch screen head unit with 1200w amp feeding the mids and highs, and 1600w going to the 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" P3's. Viair 480C compressor and Nathan P3 train horns.

Wrecked--gone but not forgotten
01 F-350 CC DRW 4x4, bright red, 7.3
ron68coug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes if you have the WTS light , the 30 amp fuse which powers the IDM relay, PCM relay, and Fuel Heater is not blown.
Winkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

AutoEnginuity PC Scan Tool (USB)

I think that you made a wise decision to take a chance on the truck, since you were only risking $2000.

My next suggestion is to read the codes to see if that will help with the diagnosis. The link above is where you can get the autoenginuity code reader with ford bundle for less than $350.

Let us know what codes you get.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Gonna take a shot at a 4yo thread. Any resolution??
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

7.3-6.7 info file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.