The Diesel Stop banner

'02 7.3L hiccup

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gator5713 
#1 ·
Took my truck out tonight on a drive and will be driving down the road and it will hiccup or miss out for just a second or so and then goes along fine it normal only does it about once or so but tonight it did it 4-5 times could it be the injector harness or what is the one that is under valve cover that I read about can go bad? Thanks Jerry

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#2 · (Edited)
There are lots of things that could be causing a hiccup...
I'd start with the easy ones: check the tin nut on the IPR. Unplug the ICP and check for oul. Replace the CPS.
To answer your question though, the engine harness runs over the driver side valve cover. The injector wires are on the bottom of that harness and are prone to rubbing on the vc and shorting out. Disconnect it and look at the bottom wires for any signs of chafing.
The engine harness connects to the valve cover gaskets about mid way down the valley side of the vc. Inspect those connection and their wires. Oil sometimes eats up the insulation on those wires leaving them exposed.
The UVCH (under valve cover harness) connects to the inside of the VC gasket and connects to each injector and glowplug. The connection between the gasket and uvch sometimes breaks or wiggles and can come loose creating a hiccup on bumps and such. Also, if you've had a glowplug short it can burn the connection creating other problems with that connection.
That should give you enough info to inspect and get back to us with your findings.
As I mentioned above I'd start with the easy stuff and I'd get it on a scanner to run some tests before bothering to tear down the VCs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.