02 F350 with alot of play in steering. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 F350 with alot of play in steering.

My 02 F350 dually has alot of play in the steering wheel at any speed you have to keep the wheel moving from left to right at all time to stay in your lane. Any sugestions on what it may be. thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I've got this too. Have your spouse or a friend move the wheel in the truck from side to side in your driveway. Watch all the ball joints in the steering linkage. In my case I had to replace the steering links on either wheel side and I had to replace the large link between the steering arm and the steering pitman arm coming off the steering gear.

My steering box was also quite loose but after repairing the joints in the linkages it fixed it 3/4.

I did tighten up the box a bit. If your box is loose, you can adjust it slightly but be VERY careful - you can ruin it doing this.

Use a wrench to loosen the nut that holds the allen wrench stud on the top of the steering gear.... while it is slightly loose turn the allen stud inward slightly 1/4 turn at a time. Then re-tighten the nut while holding the stud in place. I was told if you go to far you can ruin the steering gear. Otherwise only option is a new gear box. They seem notoriously loose just so you know. The steering in my 98' F150 was razor sharp compared to this slushbox. Apparently this is a factory adjustment when the box is new.

I'm going to replace my steering gear box next.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, 20w LED taillight bulbs, cheap OPT7 HID kit, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus brake controller, 220A HD alternator, 120w LED light bar up front, 2x18w led spots backup lights, 145USgal tidy tank, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. Aftermarket flaky navi 7" touchhead unit, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. GTI grille and projector fogs.

www.springboardbiodiesel.com BioPro190 owner. 16,000L produced 2010-2014.
westvandude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I tried a stabilizer last week,but did next to nothing to the wandering. My ball joints and all steering joints have almost zero play. I'm going to look at the box.

Any one know how many 1/4 turns you can get away with?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (17)
Is this a new lift???
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.