02 F350 with problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 F350 with problems

Ok. Bought this truck 4 or 5 months ago, and it was perfect for a month or so. Starting dumping fuel in the driveway, smoking, and leaking oil all at once then. Paid cash for it but at that point the dealer agreed to pay half of the repair cost just so they wouldn't look bad on the deal. Took it to what was supposed to be a reputable shop, Where they replaced the turbo pedestal, fuel filter drain valve, and supposedly the injector o rings. That was supposed to fix all the problems....and it did fix the problem of a freakin half gallon of diesel dumping out in the driveway on cold starts in the mornings.

Since then....the truck still smokes. Sometimes white, sometimes a blueish. Leaks a massive amount of oil....the dipstick nut at the oil pan is the biggest culprit there I believe. Now up to a gallon every couple hundred miles. About 2 months ago it started being almost impossible to start in the mornings, so we started plugging it in every night. In Austin, Tx this truck should never need to be plugged in even in winter...
But as long as the engine was warm it would start and run fine. If not it would take forever to start then would barely run until it warmed. Missing, bouncing, shaking....
So to the present....on the way back from Dallas to Austin, it randomly started losing power on the interstate. Finally came to an exit and pulled off, where it died on the access road and coasted into a grocery store parking lot. Would turn over but not crank so it had to be towed. There was quite a bit of fuel on top of the engine and when I checked, the filter cover was just a tad loose so that MAY have been leaking. I did put about 10 gallons of 5% biodiesel in it about 50 miles before it died on top of probably 15 gallons that it had in it, and the filter, almost new is still clean. Since it was having problems prior to that and from what I've read, it takes more than 50 miles for even 100% bio to cause problems, I don't think that's the problem. Decided to start on what was easiest, so yesterday we replaced the cps. Still won't start. Also replaced the driver side glow plugs, valve cover, harness, and plug. Still no start. Check engine was off yesterday so I didn't think about it but decided to plug my scanner in today...

In its DTC memory it shows p0381 glow plug/heater indicator circuit
P0603 PCM keep alive memory error (I pulled that fuse to check it earlier but also had the batteries disconnected while changing glow plugs...)
Then in KOEO it shows the p1270's for high to low side open on # 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8.
I'm seeing posts saying this could be the injectors are bad, bad solenoids, or bad connections. I've checked before and got a couple of these codes, and replaced the UVC harness and the plug outside yesterday so I wouldn't think it would be the connections. So....any ideas on how to get this thing running again? Injectors? Solenoids? Both?
(sorry for the long post....figured the most detailed description of things I could give would help the most since no one is here to actually see it but me.)
Redneckjake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh. And the GPR is soaked in diesel but does check out to be good according to an indicator light....my meter died. But the light does show power in one big lug full time and power in both when the key is on.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
If you're still getting the P1272, 1274, 1275, 1277, and 1278, your problem is in either the UVC harnesses (still), or the valve cover gaskets themselves (check the pins on the gaskets at the connectors), or the wiring between the VC gaskets and the IDM. Check for chafing where the harness goes across the driver's side VC. With 3 cylinders on the driver's side and two on the passenger's side, it's also possible that the problem is at the IDM wiring connector behind the F350 emblem on the driver's side (get at it by removing the screws on the back side of the fender liner).

The starting problems could be because of low compression (the engine may have been dusted and is just plain worn out.) But it wouldn't have been "perfect" for a couple of months and hard to start now. But it might be worth checking out.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

May not make a difference but I forgot to mention that the starting problem isn't an every day thing. Some nights I forget to plug her in and it's a pain to start the next morning, while other mornings it will start right up with no problem. But it's a pain probably 2 out of 3 days so I've gone to trying to remember to plug in every nice just to be sure it starts easy the next morning. And it seems to only be a first thing in the morning problem.....it can sit for 6 or 8 hours in the day after it's warmed up and start fine after it's cooled down. But it sits overnight for the same amount of time and don't want to start.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I live in Austin, actually up in Spicewood, and it would suck to have to plug anything in here to get it to run.

How many miles on it, is it chipped, any other mods?

The next thing I'd do is take it back to the dealer for my money back.
I know it was a cash / as is deal but I wouldn't put another dime in it or alter it anymore trying to hunt out the bugs. Let the seller diagnose and fix it.

Last edited by alias7.3; 11-03-2011 at 12:41 AM.
alias7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

About 150,000 on it with no chip or any other mods. Was a farmer's truck before. And believe me....I thought about just having the tow truck deliver it back to the dealer Saturday night. May still do it cuz this is pissing me off.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Would a bad icp sensor kill it? Seems I remember that the best way to find one is bad is if there's oil in the plug....may be thinking of a different sensor though. Either way... I unplugged it last night...full of oil. Still won't start though, with that plugged in or unplugged.
Also realized both batteries were the damn wal mart special everstarts last night....not sure why people put those on anything. Spend another $20 on a real battery that will last more than a few months!! Anyway....checked both and both were bad. Had the voltage but the amperage was gone so they got replaced.
Barring pure luck on my part in the next day or so since EVERYTHING checks out good, I guess the next step is a combination cash/case of beer offer for a local diesel mechanic to come by in their off time to look at it and tell me what the problem is...ugh.
Fuel pressure is good, oil pressure is good, gp relay, glow plugs, and injectors all show good, cps was replaced....I would think it should start.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oops....just thought of something. Even with new batteries and a new cps, the tach still don't move when cranking it. And the battery light stays on constantly....don't go away. So....is there something else I should be looking at here that might have something to with those 2 things and wouldn't let it start?
The battery light always turned off with the other warning lights right after turning the key before....and the tach always moved when the engine cranked before...
Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Woah.....just found something I hadn't seen before. The ipr is supposed to have a little tin nut of some kind on the end of the stud it sits on, right? Mine....the nut is missing. All that's there is the ipr itself and the little spacer thingy that I guess goes between it and the nut.
So, my question....is the nut all that I'm missing, and....would this sensor just kinda chilling on the stud, moving around as it wants and also soaked in diesel have anything to do with the truck not wanting to start? And...would it possibly start if I was to unplug it and try?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ehh....took the IDM off tonight just for laughs. Now to find one to borrow in my neighborhood. Connector was nice and tight, and it all looks sealed up pretty good so I wouldn't think there's a leak. But...as soon as I find one to borrow for a bit we'll know for sure.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckjake View Post
Woah.....just found something I hadn't seen before. The ipr is supposed to have a little tin nut of some kind on the end of the stud it sits on, right? Mine....the nut is missing. All that's there is the ipr itself and the little spacer thingy that I guess goes between it and the nut.
So, my question....is the nut all that I'm missing, and....would this sensor just kinda chilling on the stud, moving around as it wants and also soaked in diesel have anything to do with the truck not wanting to start? And...would it possibly start if I was to unplug it and try?
The parts on the IPR are the coil (that the wiring connects to), a spacer and nut. You'll probably find the nut laying in the bottom of the engine valley.

The IPR tin nut missing could easily be the cause of the no-start. If the coil is able to move around, then the needle inside the IPR can't move like it should to control injection pressure. If the wiring is not connected, then the engine definitely won't start. The IPR uses a pulsed voltage signal to build pressure, and if there's no pressure, no start.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The parts on the IPR are the coil (that the wiring connects to), a spacer and nut. You'll probably find the nut laying in the bottom of the engine valley.

The IPR tin nut missing could easily be the cause of the no-start. If the coil is able to move around, then the needle inside the IPR can't move like it should to control injection pressure. If the wiring is not connected, then the engine definitely won't start. The IPR uses a pulsed voltage signal to build pressure, and if there's no pressure, no start.
Hmm.....pretty sure that nut has been gone for a while too. Seems I remember seeing that and thinking nothing of it quite a while back. After fishing around in the pool of diesel in the valley, the nut don't seem to be down there either. Is there any special reason for the tin nut, or would just any nut that threads on work?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Found an extra ipr nut that came off an old engine a few years back. Not sure why I kept it but I'm glad I did! But....the coil being on tight made no difference. Decided to take valve covers back off and check the wiring and connections....all still looks good and tests that way. Did notice that when the injector orings were replaced, the shop apparently put the #8 injector in the #2 hole. Seems I remember those longer injectors were to fix the 8 cylinder starving for fuel or something? So....would the 2 and 8 being backwards like this cause any problems other than the 8 not getting fuel where it needs it?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kwcat Send a message via Yahoo to kwcat
Try and replace the IPR and see where you go from there, also why you think they messed up injectors?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Not sure on that. It shows a few high/low side open codes on injectors so I was just checking to be sure everything was connected and no shorts or anything. They supposedly replaced the injector orings a while back so all I can guess is someone didn't pay attention or just didn't care and put the longer injector in the wrong hole.
Also.....anyone know any reason other than a bad cps that the tach won't move when cranking? It worked until the point that it died, and the first thing I did was replace the cps, but that changed nothing there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.