The Diesel Stop banner

1 More WP install question

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Kids_Ride 
#1 ·
I got the NEW WP, Thermostat, T-stat Housing, bolts for the housing, top hose installed and seems great..

However, the NEW temp sensor is not working and I think I did not install properly. I asked at O'Rielly's how to seal it, since there wasn't any gasket and it was obvious, on the old one, that something was used. I put the pipe dope for fuel/oil, high temp etc.. resistant, on it (nice and thick too)

But, I bet the unit is not grounding to the engine because of this. (The dash gauge is dead)

How do you install the temp sensor? (what, if any, water stop do you use?)

I assume I need to remove, clean, and reinstall with the correct method.

#2 ·
Where did you get the temperature sensor? The correct sensor is nothing more than a glorified switch. The one's from the auto part stores don't work - you need a genuine Ford sender - the grey one if I remember right. Was your old one not working?

#3 ·
The old was on for 225k, so I thought I would replace it., it ws still working.
This is the Temp sensor that goes into the top of the WP, in between the T-stat housing and the heater port, not the CPS right... I didn't know 3rd party would not work. I got it from O'Rielly's... what part is gray.. they are black 2 prong connector on a threaded brass base.

#4 ·
Are you sure the connector is hooked up? Before you replace the sensor, put some die electric grease on the connector, and then hook it back up. I put an orielly w pump and coolant sensor in my truck. The stock old sensor would bounce back and fourth about 30 deg even when up to operating temp. New sensor keeps the gauge nice and steady

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
The connector part - there is a black one and a grey one. One is for gauges that move up and down in relation to the actual temperature. The other is a step switch - basically 0-70° is cold 71-220° is normal, and above is hot. I just made the numbers up for demonstration, but its something like that. Ours requires the latter sender. I'll have to go and look and see what color it is...

#6 ·
My concern is that the pipe dope is preventing a -ground.. Is that correct with this sensor. don't use any leak stuff...

I can't remember but I think the sensor on my 93 ranger, specified not to use any water leak materials.. tape, dope, gasket...

#7 ·
Sensors that only have one wire use the sensor threads for ground. Dual wire sensors like this do not.

#10 ·
I agree with RT. There are two wires coming up out of that sensor - one is the ground. I suspect the problem might be that you have air in the block and the air pocket is preventing the temp sensor from coming into full contact with the coolant, and giving accurate readings. That will go a way in time, or you could loosen your heater hose (carefully) a bit to speed up the process. That would be my guess. I noticed the same thing when I changed my water pump, and the problem has gone a way on its own.

#11 ·
OK great that is what I needed to know.

So, it's been a couple of hundred miles... I'll try the Dielectric grease.. The clip broke off so the connection doesn't snap in.

Can a new connector for the wire be purchased & spliced in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.