1000 Watt Block Heater - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1000 Watt Block Heater

I know the 7.3 liters came with a 1000 watt block heater. I would like to make a setup in the bed of my truck with another battery and inverter to "plug in my truck" while im not near a recepticle. I would be running lines from my alternator so that when I started it up, it would automatically charge the battery. However, I would keep it seperate from my two batteries for starting. Sometimes, I have to leave my truck in below zero conditions for 2-3 days and it would be really nice to have that piece of mind that I have a way to plug in the truck if I need to.

The question at hand is......If I were only to get a 600 watt inverter, would this give enough juice to the block heater to make it worth it. Only reason I ask, is because there is about a $120 difference from a 600 watt to a 1000 watt inverter. Any opinions???
2003 F350 Crew Shortie Lariat FX4 - Dark Stone Gray with Black bottom, Hankook M/T's, muffler and cat delete, Billet Grille, Autometer Ultra Lite triple guage pillar pod, Innovative Tunes - Thanks Ted!!!
CowboyUpRCR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Re: 1000 Watt Block Heater

I would think you will need the 1000 watt inverter. I also think that that is a huge draw on a cold battery and it may not work. How about an espar heater. If you cycle you glow plugs twice for two min each it should start even at -20. If I am going to extreem cold with no plug in I will bring by small generator.
DENNY
Old 12-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

What you need is an <font color="red"> Espar coolant heater</font> . They run off diesel fuel which you have a big tank of. They really put out the heat and can be turned on automatically by I believe a 7 day timer.

Randy
1999 ( Build date 10/98 ) 1-Owner F-250 XLT PSD, XLE8 ( started out as XLE4 ), Auto Trans w/sonnax valve tricumulator springs, 4x4, manual hubs, manual shift transfer, 3.73 gears, Tymar intake, open air CCV, A-pillar 3 gauge W/Auto Meter pyro, boost, trans and axle temp in Mag-Hytec covers, Banks 4" monster exhaust, DI 4 Position Flip Chip stock-75-100-110, early 99 turbo conversion W/ ATS BB Turbo, gutted EBPV, Smitybuilt bumper guard, Lund bug deflector, Lund SS cold air grill guard, Wet Okole seat covers w/Powerstroke logo, custom made floor mats ( way better than any store bought mats )
http://community.webshots.com/user/ran440
Buy American, Keep Your Job.
Ran440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cool, I will look into the coolant heater. Thanks guys!
2003 F350 Crew Shortie Lariat FX4 - Dark Stone Gray with Black bottom, Hankook M/T's, muffler and cat delete, Billet Grille, Autometer Ultra Lite triple guage pillar pod, Innovative Tunes - Thanks Ted!!!
CowboyUpRCR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I think you would need a full bed full of batteries to run the heater for a full 3 hours.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

Yep, an inverter won't do the job. One battery could feed 1000 watts for only a few minutes before being sucked dry.

I would use my Honda EU-2000 generator and plug the block heater into the generator.

Honda also makes an EU-1000 generator, but it's too small to produce 1,000 watts continuously.

The EU-2000 is small, lightweight, and quiet. And it starts easily in cold weather. Cheaper generators with more power are available, but they are heavy, big, extremely loud, and probably won't start when you need them to. Plus the cheap generators won't last long while the Honda EU will last "forever".

Move up one notch to the Honda EU-3000 and you can get electric start - in case you hate to start a rope-pull generator at 10 below zero. But the EU-3000 costs twice as much as the EU-2000 and it's a lot bigger and heavier.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...elName=eu2000i

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Would like to say "Amen" to the Honda 2000EU generator. We just bought one based on the outstanding results of those who own them in our travel trailer club.

Others have bought cheaper generators, but invariably have had problems with them plus many are louder than the Hondas.
2002 2WD XLT CrewCab, 3.73 Limited Slip. KC reverse backup lights with on/off dash switch , Mobil 1 Transmission Fluid, Undercover Bed Lid, Monroe Reflex Shocks. Gentex K-21 auto dimming/temp/compass mirror. Michelin LTX/MS tires. Door Seal Mod. ZooDad. Ford SD AIS. Assembled 08-09-01, Cuautitlan Mexico
MikeTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I have had an ESPAR for a couple of winters. I have a second set of batteries (gel cells for max voltage at low temp) that run the accessories of the truck and the marker lights on the trailer (all now LED). I even have a power source to the cab heater, and in -20 weather, I can run the cab fan and the ESPAR overnight and stay reasonably comfortable without draining the starting batteries. It is hardly the cheap way out, but it makes the truck completely independant of line power.
2000 F450 Lariat 4x4 tractor, rebuild at 200k in '12, Air Dog, Reg Mod, HX & HP all in hard SS lines, bypass filter, Banks Power Elbow w/3.5 dp, no intake heat, CCV mod, AIS (w/extra hole), some big Alliant single shots, GP indicator LED, custom 4" exhaust, 4" USG exhaust brake, custom alum. rear diff cover extension (dipstick & temp), Detroit locker, ESPAR D5 aux. heat, custom alum tow deck and fuel tanks, Bushwacker 1 1/2" flares, 9k winch, gin poles, JWSpeaker 8900 LED headlamps in XL grille, Lightforce 240GT (still Halogen, but VERY bright), Hella Micro DE HID fogs, KW = vision plus (Isspro) instruments, more to come & lots of other diesels
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.