1999 F250 7.3 2wd to 4wd - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 F250 7.3 2wd to 4wd

Hi, first post so i hope i dont mess this up

I recently just bought a 99 7.3 supercab shortbox for a great price
I had been looking for a 4wd but had no such luck finding one with such low km's

back on point, ive been doing my homework into converting it over and I just have a few more bugs i need to work out
I'm currently a 2nd year apprentice so I feel im capable of doing the work

I just want to make sure everything is a go before i begin

I have a twin I beam front end, As far as i've looked into I'll be looking for

A Complete solid front axe, (3.73) with a pair of leafs, a transfer case(electric shift) mainly because for some reason i already have the dash switch
New front and rear drive shafts

I've been trying to trace down wiring diagrams to see about the plug to the t-case aswell as my dash,

I had someone swear that its not possible, but after a few conversations with the local ford service mechanics, They said no such thing

I'm just looking to make sure I'm in the right direction, if this is possible and what else i might be in store for

Thanks
Organdoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
You'll have to change the output shaft and rear cone on the tranny to install the t-case adapter and t-case. I believe the auto tranny has to either come apart completely or you'll have to swap the complete tranny to the 4x4 version. I think the rear of the manual tranny can be changed without a complete disassembly.

As far as wiring, you may find some of the connectors already on your harness, possibly plugged back into a dummy connector on the harness. But I doubt you'll find the connector for the electric t-case motor already there. My 4x4 is a manual shift and doesn't have the relay box for the ESOF relays under the hood or the wiring to them. I'd recommend you go for a manual shift t-case rather than try and install all the wiring for the electric shift. The GEM in your truck may need to be changed as well to control the t-case relays.

As far as the switch on the dash, it'd be easier just to abandon that, or get a new dash bezel w/o switch from a wrecking yard.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Alright, Some of the abbreviations are unknown to me,

I have a good friend that works in a transmission shop, and he assured me that with that tranny, all I'm looking to change is that one front cone, no disassembly needed

As for the wiring, i feel this will be the only trick part

I'd love to run the electric like i had said just cause of it being compact and ****, and not having to cut a whole in my floor

The manual Transfer case might be more realistic, I'm gonna put my truck up on the hoist tomorrow and do some more homework on if i have any plugs etc
Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

If it was mine I would put the front-end from a 2005-up truck under it as those are coil sprung, as your truck is. You only have to change out the spring towers (grind/cut off rivet heads, replace with bolts) and then it is a bolt-up operation. This setup will also give you a shorter turning radius.
2005 Escape 2.3L/CD4E
jstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a good friend that works in a transmission shop, and he assured me that with that tranny, all I'm looking to change is that one front cone, no disassembly needed
What tranny are we talking about here? This info you are given may be what you want to hear, but it is not correct. Either the 4R100 or the ZF6 or the ZF5, you must change the output shaft, which requires disassembly of the trans. I don't know what part you are referring to as the "front cone".
2005 Escape 2.3L/CD4E
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey - I'm glad you pointed that out for me, I had him actually check into it and as you had said, some work is needed. I hope i didnt sound like too much of a punk, I was just going on what I was told. He can still do the work, mainly just the tailshaft is different? After I read your post i started to figure that it would be different size from the end housing too the extension housing for a t-case

I'm looking around for the parts i need strangely the hardest part i'm having to find is the axle with 3.73's

I havent made any final decisions yet on whats goin under it

I just figure I got a steal on the truck for a price with low km, After I'm done wit the conversion I'm sure it will be worth what i put into it.

So to add on now

I'm looking at, Mounting a Front axle(remove I-beam front end), I'm going to have to look into the steering I'm wondering what needs to be changed. I'm going to look into the wiring on friday for a electric t-case, although i have a feeling i will use a manual one. I'm curious what wiring im lookin into for a manual one?

I'll have to pull the tranny out, to get it worked on, which is alright because then i can just mount the t-case on it before i put it back on I was thinking
Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

You still haven't told me what transmission you have.
2005 Escape 2.3L/CD4E
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrauss View Post
You still haven't told me what transmission you have.
4r100 i believe
Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK with the 4R100 you will need to have the trans completely torn down because the last thing to come out of the case is the output shaft. It will have to be replaced with a 4x4 unit. You will also need the adaptor that bolts on the back of the trans case so the xfer case will attach. Whether you get your trans rebuilt or freshened up at this time is up to you. Many folks just try to find a good used 4x4 trans, there is also that route.
2005 Escape 2.3L/CD4E
Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Or a good reason to swap to 6-speed like my plan is...
srh240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.