2000 7.3L WONT START IN THE COLD - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3L WONT START IN THE COLD

I have a 2000 F350 super duty with 164,000. The truck wont start unplugged below 30F, if it does start it runs really rough , i even have to put my foot on the pedal to keep it running then all of a sudden it runs fine. I have replaced glow plugs and relay. I cajn even hear the cyclinders come on line and fire when i'm cranking it over. Its been a problem for going on 5 years and everybody has an oppinion, i need people that know what they are talking about. Thanks for your time
jabbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

After you replaced the glow plugs and relay, have you done the testing to make sure they are actually working?
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Your post follows so many others with the same issues. First things you should check are the condition of the batteries and connections, along with a checkup on the starter. Most autoparts stores will do this for free if they think you'll buy the stuff there. Next is the regular maintenance items, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter with oil. Many people have been using 5w-40 oil, which would help with cranking and building the necessary HP oil pressure of 500psi to fire the truck. You might also re-examine the GP system, ensuring the relay is in fact putting 12VDC to the GPs and ohming out the GPs to make sure they're good. I'm going to take a stab and say you get loads of smoke out for a few minutes.
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check the elec connectors going into the valve cover; hence, it is common for the pins to burn up. If the glow plugs systems works, then you might have injector problems. Have a buzz test preformed.

Want more?
Expect More?

DO MORE!
SlickDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

You might also try pulling the IPR and cleaning it out, also making sure the nut is tight on it when re-installing. If you have access to a scanner that can read the ICP readings, it will show if the IPR is functioning.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks guys, last year i had all new glow plugs and new realay installed, all the electricall conections were good and still hard to start. Im in the process of checking everything again. My truck runs good, could it be injector seals. Whats the best option for new injectors?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbers View Post
My truck runs good, could it be injector seals. Whats the best option for new injectors?
Not to replace them unless they ARE bad, lest you want to be broke and disappointed

The seals do occasionally go out. Are you using a lot of oil? It could be the lower o-rings. The uppers can be checked by removing the valvecovers and starting it up. If oil is coming UP from the bottom of the injecter, then the upper seal is bad. You can purchase o-ring kits, and with modest mechanical abilities can change them out in a day and save big bucks over the shop. I cannot stress enough the importance of having some sort of way to monitor readings and codes instead of throwing parts at it. You can easily blow a grand or two and not solve the issue.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

My 2001 (built in Jan 01) been like this for 5-6 yrs as well. Now with 234,000miles its wont hardly start if its 45* outside without being plugged up foe atleast several hrs. Took to Ford dealer, had one battery bad (they are 2 yr old Motorcrafts), changed that, then doing cold start test ( I have checked GPR & GP's twice in 3 yrs and showed good both times) said the IPR was bad, changes that said it was about 50% better but still not perfect. Wondering myself if its time for Inj. O-rings? I noticed on this last oil change, or actually just before was about 3qts low. if needs new inj o-rings or even injectors.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Could be a combination of weak HPOP and low fuel pressure and slow starter motor and weak batteries.

What a run on sentence... LOL.... anyway, that's where I'd start. My starter went out about 3 months ago. The new one spins the motor at least twice as fast as the old one used to. Huge difference. If you got weak batteries and/or weak starter motor then it won't spin the engine fast enough to get it started.

You can buy an adapter to put a fuel gauge on the fuel bowl. Maybe $40 all in if that. Nice to have anyhow. Places like www.princessauto.com sell gauges dirt cheap.

What happens when you shoot a small pffft of WD40 into the turbo intake (air filter box removed) when you start it stone cold? Don't freak out, I'm talking a very small shot of spray. If it fires up instantly maybe it's a fuel side problem. If it doesn't make a difference then glow plug issue?

In any case, don't throw parts at it. Find somebody with that Autoenginuity or whatever scanner to check IPR and ICP function. Post up and ask here if anybody in your local area can help you out.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.
westvandude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude View Post
Could be a combination of weak HPOP and low fuel pressure and slow starter motor and weak batteries.

What a run on sentence... LOL.... anyway, that's where I'd start. My starter went out about 3 months ago. The new one spins the motor at least twice as fast as the old one used to. Huge difference. If you got weak batteries and/or weak starter motor then it won't spin the engine fast enough to get it started.

You can buy an adapter to put a fuel gauge on the fuel bowl. Maybe $40 all in if that. Nice to have anyhow. Places like www.princessauto.com sell gauges dirt cheap.

What happens when you shoot a small pffft of WD40 into the turbo intake (air filter box removed) when you start it stone cold? Don't freak out, I'm talking a very small shot of spray. If it fires up instantly maybe it's a fuel side problem. If it doesn't make a difference then glow plug issue?

In any case, don't throw parts at it. Find somebody with that Autoenginuity or whatever scanner to check IPR and ICP function. Post up and ask here if anybody in your local area can help you out.
Think you are replying to me. I didnt think w/ batteries two yrs old one would be bad, my fault for not checking them first, but this has been an on going problem for years only progressively getting worse even w/ new batteries wasnt any better. THey said after installing a new IPR that the pump pressure was fine, but wasnt up to par on down the line. So that would lead me to belive inj. o-rings leaking and/or bad injectors.

I have a race, build my own engines ,etc. so pretty good with mechanical stuff. And this Ford dealer, BF Evans Ford, will scan my stuff for $69 figure isnt too bad for a dealership, and wasnt sure if a Snap On scanner would show al the stuff a diesel has going on.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi,
I just bought a 00' 7.3 with 90k on it and im having the same issue with cold weather starts. I am second owner and i bought it from a good friend whom has a detailed record of maintenance. Not saying everything is perfect under the hood but is it possible this could be typical for a diesel under freezing levels? What I've been doing is turning key to run until start light goes out twice then I crank it over and she still starts hard but not as bad.
Just my thoughts.
Red7.3L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have had my truck scanned and nothing comes up. If its cold It will take 10 to 15 glow plug cycles to start the engine with a jump and new batteries. Its like I crank and crank and suddenly i hear 1 cyclinder kick in and crank then 2 and so on. I do get some smoke not a ton and i put my foot on the pedal that makes a difference when it starts it runs real rough and i have to put my foot on the pedal or it will stall. I don't want to throw money at the truck either but i need it to start. I have a friend with a 2002 ford 7.3L truck and hes got 230,000 miles on it the thing starts all the time.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Is your truck tuned? When I bought mine the guy told me when he bought it he had the ford garage add a power chip but he did not get a tuner. Either way the point I'm getting at is if you do have a chip of some sort that may be an issue? I'm still new to diesels so it's just my thoughts.
Red7.3L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbers View Post
I have had my truck scanned and nothing comes up. If its cold It will take 10 to 15 glow plug cycles to start the engine with a jump and new batteries. Its like I crank and crank and suddenly i hear 1 cyclinder kick in and crank then 2 and so on. I do get some smoke not a ton and i put my foot on the pedal that makes a difference when it starts it runs real rough and i have to put my foot on the pedal or it will stall. I don't want to throw money at the truck either but i need it to start. I have a friend with a 2002 ford 7.3L truck and hes got 230,000 miles on it the thing starts all the time.

the starter checked out okay......slow cranking wont help in cold weather
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
If you are 100% sure glow plugs and relay are good then it's time to think that your injectors are having poppet valve problems.
This can be checked with valve covers off and using a feeler gauge to measure the armature plate clearance when cold. The solenoid needs to come off to measure. The spec is minimum of .002 inch.
Anything less than that and the injectors need to be rebuilt or replaced.

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.