2000 F-250 Famous Steering Wander - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: 2000 F-250 Famous Steering Wander

Wayne B, I was referring to what I did, nothing more. it does seem though that everyones advice is to look past the steering gear which is what I did and that was wrong. there would not be shops that specifically rebuilt them if they never went out that's all. ~Aaron
2000 F-250 S\C 4X4, rebuilt engine \ DP Tuned \ 3 Gauge cluster \ "cackle cure"- FX cross over fuel return \ shimmed fuel reg. 69 psi. \ new rear-end \ rebuilt tranny \ transgo tugger shift kit w\ non-modulated T\C lock up \6.0 trans. cooler \ wicked wheel \ \ open element intake \ magnaflow muffler \ ccv mod \ HX mod.\ Redhead steering gear \ Head light harness and lenz up grade \ Bilstien shocks \ in tank and pre-pump mods.\ and a HOLE in my wallet so big I can park my truck in it!
elkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Also adjustable camber sleeves are a good idea if you don't have them and are already in there.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

This problem is not related to just 99-02, my 03 had the same problem. It was not as noticeable at low speeds, but freeway driving was damn tricky. There was so much slop in the steering wheel and the wander was terrible. So at 32K I took it in, Ford said it needed new ball joints and the steering box needed adjusted. Took it, worked better, but problem not fixed. Took it to another Ford dealer, replaced the steering box, problem fixed. This was about a year ago and I now have 65K on it and it is fine. Now if I could only figure out the thumping in the drivers side floor board when I go over seams in the road??!!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

i work for ford and we have had problems with the right lower ball joint seizing
jpb620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2005, 11:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Mine has had the entire front end replaced and still wanders. Its like the toe isnt correct---goes left then right then left. Pain in the butt to keep straight. Had it to Ford and a private front end shop and both say nothings wrong.
2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut.
MarvinVR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Darrell,
I have had two different bumps from the floor. 1 was bad sway bar links. the ones from the bar to the chassis. 2 was the inner wheelwell was loose on the push clips. I would be interested in how this turns out because I have never been happy with the wandering.
Dave
sqidget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

I just changed most of the front end, balljoints, tie rods, stabilizer, and she still wanders. Put the woman in the drivers seat, and while she turned the wheel, I watched the sector shaft. Lots of play. Time for a steering box at 110k. Seems like I have been replacing a lot of parts right around 100k. Wheel bearings and brakes were at 90k. Hmmm. Am I too hard on the truck?

450 cubes, fully studded, modified.
4R100 built by me with Suncoast/Transgo/Sonnax/Ford parts.
325/65/18 BFG A/Ts on Ultra rims, custom 4" lift with rear shackle flip(no blocks), Rancho 9000Xs, Homemade bypass fuel system, bypass oil filter, Racor CCV filter, 3.5/4/5 custom exhaust, 8 yr old DI 4 pos chip, and some other stuff.

22 year US Navy vet (retired)
ASE Master Auto Tech
My Pics (Webshots)
http://s414.photobucket.com/home/Stangrcr72
stangrcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

What you describe sounds like tramlining. Control arm bushings can also be a culprit. This is a big issue with Mustang suspension when they get old or modified. Don't know if it happens to Ford trucks also, but they symptoms are the same.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 06:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

The steering box doesn't work for me.
Sumitomo 245/70R19.5--Centramatic balancers--AIS with Fender Sleeve--Chrome Simulators/Dieselsite--Coolant Filter/Dieselsite--Trans Filter/Dieselsite-- A-C valve/Dieselsite --Oil Gaurd bypass filter--Fumoto valve/Dieselsite--SkyJacker Steering Stabilizer-- 4 Gauge A Piller Pod(pyro,boost,trans,volt)--Muffler delete--AIH delete--Gas Magnum shocks--ITP HX mod--Wolverine Engine Oil Heater--GOLD coolant---CCV mod---ITP Pre pump/tank Kit---WIX prepump Filter/Separator---FIA grill cover---Zoodad Mod---REDHEAD steering box---ROTELLA 5-40 Synthetic---MOBIL 1 syn PS fluid---Magnefine PS filter---STACK single/chrome/5"---

ON THE FLATBED>-- Miller Trailblazer 302-- Suitcase MIG 12vs x-treme-- 2 60" boxes/ 2 36" boxes-- and all the necessities
SKEET298 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]What do you mean? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] ~Aaron
2000 F-250 S\C 4X4, rebuilt engine \ DP Tuned \ 3 Gauge cluster \ "cackle cure"- FX cross over fuel return \ shimmed fuel reg. 69 psi. \ new rear-end \ rebuilt tranny \ transgo tugger shift kit w\ non-modulated T\C lock up \6.0 trans. cooler \ wicked wheel \ \ open element intake \ magnaflow muffler \ ccv mod \ HX mod.\ Redhead steering gear \ Head light harness and lenz up grade \ Bilstien shocks \ in tank and pre-pump mods.\ and a HOLE in my wallet so big I can park my truck in it!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

I just wanted to throw my $.02 worth out to chew on. It may be that the rear axle could have some looseness, causing some road wander. I used to have a Chevy pickup that had some wore out stabilizer bar bushings on the rear end, and it wandered because of it. Hey, My F250 is a 2WD and has twin I-Beam front suspension, and it doesn't track as good as I would like it to. A twin I-beam does not have ball joints like the 4WD do, so if I have front end suspension / steering looseness, it sure ain't ball joints. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
tjc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2005, 01:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

been down this road with a 00 excursion which i bought brand new---was all over the road from the get go. I had all the standard fixes performed, front steer stabilizeer, fmc did the ball joint replace, adj steer box, align. all that did nothing to correct the problem. i them took a lesson from mercedes benz(whose vehicles track beautifully) and decided to increase caster and yes, possibly increse ride harshness. first i replaced front springs with heavier duty ones and caster went from 2degree to about 4 1/2 then i installed 2 degree shims between the front axle and springs and got the caster up to about 7 degrees positeve. VIOLA! steered and stayed straight. Granted, it did ride a bit (and only a bit) harsher.
this all occured about 5 years ago and i've since sold the beast, but it did work then and i belive i'm remembering this correctly.
i presently own a 00 f250 superduty and have contemplated putting the 2 degree shims in the front, but i must say, this girl tracks pretty well.
back in 00' this was a very big issue on the excusrsion board and i got the positive caster idea from a ford mechanic somewhere in michigan or indiana (or similar) who had posted great results with improving caster
sorry bout the long post and hope this helps
rich
richieracket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2005, 09:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]What do you mean? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] ~Aaron

[/ QUOTE ]

Steering box " LINK", skiped a word Doooh, my bad
Sumitomo 245/70R19.5--Centramatic balancers--AIS with Fender Sleeve--Chrome Simulators/Dieselsite--Coolant Filter/Dieselsite--Trans Filter/Dieselsite-- A-C valve/Dieselsite --Oil Gaurd bypass filter--Fumoto valve/Dieselsite--SkyJacker Steering Stabilizer-- 4 Gauge A Piller Pod(pyro,boost,trans,volt)--Muffler delete--AIH delete--Gas Magnum shocks--ITP HX mod--Wolverine Engine Oil Heater--GOLD coolant---CCV mod---ITP Pre pump/tank Kit---WIX prepump Filter/Separator---FIA grill cover---Zoodad Mod---REDHEAD steering box---ROTELLA 5-40 Synthetic---MOBIL 1 syn PS fluid---Magnefine PS filter---STACK single/chrome/5"---

ON THE FLATBED>-- Miller Trailblazer 302-- Suitcase MIG 12vs x-treme-- 2 60" boxes/ 2 36" boxes-- and all the necessities
SKEET298 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #29 (permalink)

Here is Redheads number (206) 364-3333 they must be having troubles with there website because it worked when I put it up there.?.? ~Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.