The Diesel Stop banner

2001 7.3L long crank before start

14K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  RT 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 2001 7.3 it has 290k on it. Whenever I try to start the truck for the first time in the day it doesn't matter what temp it is out the truck will sit there an crank maybe 5-8 try's to get it to start. It's dumping white smoke out of the exhaust when it's doing that. After I get the truck running it will start right back up after as long as the motor temp is still up. It was 90 degrees where I was yesterday an in the morning it took about 8 try's for it to start. I was leaning towards a hpop but the truck runs pretty good once it's started I pulled a trailer with 10k pounds on it 8 hours away an the only problem was getting it started in the morning. I know that 1 of the injectors are going bad because around 40-50 the truck get a little studder in it but I can't see that making it that hard to start. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks bill

#2 ·
Well, you're first thought was good but likely not it. If the HPOP was bleeding down, it wouldn't be bellowing white smoke. At 90 degrees, you don't need glow plugs, so that's not it. Cranking speed is a possibility. Weak batteries or a weak starter could be the cause of that. Low compression is on the list, but at 290K, you're just getting the rings broken in good. The more likely cause is worn poppets on the injectors. You can fix that by either getting a new set, a remanufactured set, or installing the spacers that are sold on eBay. Search "7.3 POWERSTROKE injector tune up shim KIT" on eBay to see the kit.

Here's a document explaining the issue: View attachment PoppetValve.pdf

#4 ·
I'm a little wary of eBay injectors. Especially since a company from Florida that starts with a P sells a lot of them on there. They routinely ship multiple bad injectors in every batch. You'd be much better off going with Full Force Diesel. You can get them from DP-Tuner if you want to go with an upgrade (like Stage 1s) that require programming or straight from the company:

https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...s/full-force-injectors-1/reman-injectors.html

https://shop.fullforcediesel.com/7-3-injectors-s/140.htm

Just to expound on this - stock injectors for your truck are split shots. You have 7 AD injectors and one long lead AE injector in hole #8. Your stock programming will run these. Stage 1 injectors are single shot. They are more efficient and easier to control. They require reprogramming the PCM with a tune or buying a tuner with multiple tunes (like economy tune, tow tune, race tune, etc.) If you go that route, you'll get a huge boost in power and a slight bump in MPG if you can keep your foot out of the pedal.

#5 ·
Okay cool thank you. I think I'm going to order the stage ones from full force for the truck when I get paid this week. The truck allready has a 38r turbo an it has the banks 6 gun tuner an also a ts 6 pos chip so I think getting the stage ones from them would be my best bet.

#6 ·
Sounds great - just make sure you get the updated tunes from your supplier. They have to be able to drive single shots. You will be very happy with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.