The Diesel Stop banner

2001 F250 loss of power, Bad IPR?

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  redtopman 
#1 ·
Been trying to figure out the cause of the loss of power in a 2001 f250 for a while now, turbo seems fine, no play. the truck has literally no power sometimes when cold, to the point of having to shift to low range to even move up the slightest incline. This gets better as then truck warms up but it still never has the low end it should, I don't feel and power coming on until around 2500 rpm in first gear, from there it pulls ok. I first suspected the turbo because it feels like it takes forever to spool but recently threw a code for low injection pressure. I'm wondering if this could be a bad or clogged IPR not letting me get enough oil pressure to the injectors to give me enough fuel

#3 ·
Lots of things could cause this power loss. You need a scan tool to do test and check for codes. AE is a good one but there are alternatives.

But before throwing money at it check basic things.

1. could be the CPS (30 bucks at a Ford dealer) Try replacing it.
2. Is the fuel filter clean?
3. Is the IPR leaking oil into it's harness?
4. Do you have good fuel flow. With the filter out key on the bowl should fill rapidly.
5 weak flow could indicate a bad electric pump or fuel pickup in the tank

#4 ·
Lots of things could cause this power loss. You need a scan tool to do test and check for codes. AE is a good one but there are alternatives.

But before throwing money at it check basic things.

1. could be the CPS (30 bucks at a Ford dealer) Try replacing it.
2. Is the fuel filter clean?
3. Is the IPR leaking oil into it's harness? It's the ICP sensor that has that problem. IPR connector is totally isolated from oil, other than external leaks. But oil leaking from an ICP sensor means it needs to be replaced.
4. Do you have good fuel flow. With the filter out key on the bowl should fill rapidly.
5 weak flow could indicate a bad electric pump or fuel pickup in the tank
Another item might be the MAP sensor signal. If the PCM doesn't sense boost, it will restrict fuel delivery to the engine. Check to be sure that the hose connection to the MAP sensor is connected to the turbo outlet spider and that it's not plugged.
Checking codes before proceeding with any parts changing is always a good idea.

#5 ·
Thanks I meant ICP. Get a little mixed up the older I get

#6 ·
I resemble that remark. :grin2:

#7 ·
Someone recommended Hot Shot's Stiction Eliminator, at over 50 bucks for a 2 qt bottle i will be taking them up on their money back guarantee if I don't see any difference. Theory I was told was that this stuff will flow through everywhere the oil goes and clean things up including the injectors and IPR. also there is not oil on the ICP plug, already replaced the CPS, which did solve a stalling problem but nothing as far as the power goes, fuel filter was also replaced and noticed no difference, I will check how fast the fuel bowl fills tomorrow. Anyone have any luck with that additive? I'm always skeptical of them

#8 ·
Not me. I would do a complete analysis of the engine with a scanner before using additives to fix something. Get an AE scanner or equv and do all the system checks that Ford does. Find out more about the problem before throwing things at it. It will be cheaper in the long rum. Get some data that the forum members can help you with.

Check your IPR at the removable electrical connection. it sometimes cracks which will cause problems.

Just my opinion

#9 ·
If I were to scan my MAP Sensor readings with AutoEnginuity, what would be some normal ranges?

#10 ·
A idle it shows 14.3 and at a steady 50mph it shows 15.6 on my scanguage II. It will be higher at accelerations and higher speed. My KOEO was 14.4

Reactions: wfdbackdraft
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.