2001 F250 SD Transmission Shifting Issues and Codes - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 F250 SD Transmission Shifting Issues and Codes

Hi All,

I have a 2001 F250 4WD with the 4R100 automatic transmission with 69,000 miles. I run the Diablo Predator 85HP tune with firm shift points. In April I noticed the truck shifting rough from 1-2 and 2-3, slipping, having a rough high idle, and the Overdrive light flashing. The truck also completely shut off in traffic.

It threw the following codes:
P0238 - Turbo/Supercharger Boost Sensor A Circuit high
P0603 - Powertrain Control Module Keep Alive Memory Error
P0478 - Exhaust Pressure Control Valve High Input
P0470 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor

I reset the codes and did not have a problem for a month, but I also rarely drive the truck.

Today I experienced the same problems shifting, slipping, and overdrive flashing. In addition to the codes above, I also have
P0720 Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit.

I have a call in to the Ford Dealer, but am interested to see if anyone can help diagnose and provide recommendations. The Ford dealer wants $735 in labor alone and recommends an overhaul or rebuild, but will get back to me with better estimates.

If I need to put in a new transmission, what are the thoughts about the ATS or other? Any recommendations for a good transmission shop in Northern Virginia?

Thanks!
chigl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Youve got the answer right in your post.

My finger is pointed squarely at the OSS. Look to see if the wiring is ok, if so, id suspect a fautly OSS.
MonteC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteC View Post
Youve got the answer right in your post.

My finger is pointed squarely at the OSS. Look to see if the wiring is ok, if so, id suspect a fautly OSS.
Thanks Monte - Any idea what the part # is for the OSS? I checked the wires and cleaned the contacts and still have the error code and flashing overdrive.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Here is some info from my manual. It may help you but most likely the only thing you can do without a OEM scanner or an AE is to check the connectors and do the ohm check at the end

PINPOINT TEST F: TURBINE SHAFT SPEED (TSS) AND OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED (OSS) SENSORS
CONDITIONS DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
NOTE: Refer to the Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor Connector illustration preceding these pinpoint tests.
F1 ELECTRONIC DIAGNOSTICS
Check to make sure the transmission harness connector is fully seated, terminals are fully engaged in connector and in good condition before proceeding.

Scan Tool

Diagnostic Data Link

PCM

Select PID/Data Monitor and Record.
Select the following PIDs: TSS, OSS.

Does vehicle enter PID/Data Monitor and Record?
Yes
REMAIN in PID/Data. GO to F2 .

No
REPEAT procedure to ENTER PID. If vehicle did not enter PID, REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual ( OBDII Early release , OBDII-Diesel , OBDII-Bi-Fuel ) for diagnosis of PCM.
F2 DRIVE CYCLE TEST
While monitoring the appropriate sensor PID, drive the vehicle so that the transmission upshifts and downshifts through all gears.

Does the TSS, or OSS Speed PID increase and decrease with engine and vehicle speed or is the sensor signal erratic (drop to zero or near zero and return to normal operation)?
Yes
If the TSS or OSS Speed PID increase and decrease with engine and vehicle speed, CLEAR all DTCs. ROAD TEST to verify if concern is still present. If concern is still present, REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom in this section for diagnosis.

If the sensor signal is erratic, INSPECT for intermittent concern in the internal/external harness, sensor or connector.

No
If the TSS, or OSS Speed PID does not increase and decrease with engine and vehicle speed, INSPECT for open or short in vehicle harness, sensor, a PCM concern, or internal hardware concern.

If the sensor signal is steady, GO to F3 .
F3 CHECK RESISTANCE OF TSS OR OSS SENSOR
Disconnect the appropriate vehicle harness connector from the TSS and or OSS sensor.

For TSS or OSS: Measure the resistance between pin 1 and pin 2 at the sensor.
Record the resistance. Resistance should be as follows:
Sensor Resistance (ohms)
TSS — PTO Only Applications 496-1,244
TSS — Non-PTO Applications 781-1,979
OSS — All Applications 781-1,979

Is the resistance within specification for the appropriate sensor?
Yes
REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom in this section for concern diagnosis.

No
For TSS and OSS, INSTALL a new sensor.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings8 View Post
Here is some info from my manual. It may help you but most likely the only thing you can do without a OEM scanner or an AE is to check the connectors and do the ohm check at the end

PINPOINT TEST F: TURBINE SHAFT SPEED (TSS) AND OUTPUT SHAFT SPEED (OSS) SENSORS
CONDITIONS DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
NOTE: Refer to the Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor Connector illustration preceding these pinpoint tests.
F1 ELECTRONIC DIAGNOSTICS
Check to make sure the transmission harness connector is fully seated, terminals are fully engaged in connector and in good condition before proceeding.

Scan Tool

Diagnostic Data Link

PCM

Select PID/Data Monitor and Record.
Select the following PIDs: TSS, OSS.

Does vehicle enter PID/Data Monitor and Record?
Yes
REMAIN in PID/Data. GO to F2 .

No
REPEAT procedure to ENTER PID. If vehicle did not enter PID, REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual ( OBDII Early release , OBDII-Diesel , OBDII-Bi-Fuel ) for diagnosis of PCM.
F2 DRIVE CYCLE TEST
While monitoring the appropriate sensor PID, drive the vehicle so that the transmission upshifts and downshifts through all gears.

Does the TSS, or OSS Speed PID increase and decrease with engine and vehicle speed or is the sensor signal erratic (drop to zero or near zero and return to normal operation)?
Yes
If the TSS or OSS Speed PID increase and decrease with engine and vehicle speed, CLEAR all DTCs. ROAD TEST to verify if concern is still present. If concern is still present, REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom in this section for diagnosis.

If the sensor signal is erratic, INSPECT for intermittent concern in the internal/external harness, sensor or connector.

No
If the TSS, or OSS Speed PID does not increase and decrease with engine and vehicle speed, INSPECT for open or short in vehicle harness, sensor, a PCM concern, or internal hardware concern.

If the sensor signal is steady, GO to F3 .
F3 CHECK RESISTANCE OF TSS OR OSS SENSOR
Disconnect the appropriate vehicle harness connector from the TSS and or OSS sensor.

For TSS or OSS: Measure the resistance between pin 1 and pin 2 at the sensor.
Record the resistance. Resistance should be as follows:
Sensor Resistance (ohms)
TSS — PTO Only Applications 496-1,244
TSS — Non-PTO Applications 781-1,979
OSS — All Applications 781-1,979

Is the resistance within specification for the appropriate sensor?
Yes
REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom in this section for concern diagnosis.

No
For TSS and OSS, INSTALL a new sensor.
Thanks - I cleared all the codes and drove the truck again this weekend. and the same thing happened. I am getting the VSS and OSS trouble codes. Does anyone have the part # for the OSS? I'll check the resistance on both sensors and see what I find out.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Does anyone have the part # for the OSS?
Call the Ford dealer, I'm sure they have a number, When you get one post it here for others. I looked and do not have it in my list of numbers.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Woodnthings - I'll post when I get the part #.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ford Transmission Part #'s and Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigl View Post
Thanks Woodnthings - I'll post when I get the part #.
The attached pdf has pictures and part #'s for the E4OD and 4R100. It might be of use to someone else out there too. I think the VSS/OSS part # is F81Z-7M101-AA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford Transmission Parts Info E4OD and 4R100.pdf (687.8 KB, 964 views)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Alternator was bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigl View Post
The attached pdf has pictures and part #'s for the E4OD and 4R100. It might be of use to someone else out there too. I think the VSS/OSS part # is F81Z-7M101-AA
Update: I ended up having the alternator replaced. When they ran a diagnostic check on the truck, the computer indicated the truck was going 30-70 MPH while sitting still. While I did replace the OSS, that was not the culprit. There was some sort of RF interference from the alternator.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Having a similar problem... How did you come to the conclusion the alternator was bad? I'd like to test all I can before I settle on a rebuild

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
PBGUY420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
An oscilloscope is needed to diagnose an alternator that has an RF problem.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ok do autozone or advance usually have those and know how to use them

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
PBGUY420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
They probably don't have them and I'd be VERY surprised if they did and had any clue how to use them. They sell parts, they don't diagnose, even though they think they do.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGUY420 View Post
Having a similar problem... How did you come to the conclusion the alternator was bad? I'd like to test all I can before I settle on a rebuild

Disconnect the alternator and drive the truck. If the code still presents, the alternator is fine. Iultimately replaced the trucks PCM computer.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Problem Resolution

While I replaced the alternator, this did not solve the poroblem. I eventually isolated the problem to a loose solenoid connection on the passenger side fender well. It was loose and after I tightened it I have had absolutley no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.