2001 Ford F250 -7.3L Powerstroke - any good? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 Ford F250 -7.3L Powerstroke - any good?

Have my eye on a 2001 F250 extended cab longbox. Fully loaded with automatic. Looks like it never pulled anything - no 5th wheel hitch or anything, just a small receiver hitch. Truck has 112,000 miles (180,000 km). It looks mint - inside and out. NOt a scratch on it.

Is there anything in particular to watch out for in regards to mechanical issues with this particular model year?

I realize that by now, the good ole' 7.3 powerstroke diesel is pretty much bullet proof, but what about the automatic trannies? The older automatics had so many updates it was hard to keep track.

Anything to be cautious of?? Any help is greatly appreciated...
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have owned my 01 for about a little more than a year now and have had very few problems. I bought mine with 125000 miles on it. I have replaced the CPS sensor and the most recent was the front tranny seal. Thats it! I do have an intake, exhaust,and a DP tuner on it.
blueballin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Have a dealer run an OASIS report on it. That will show you if any warranty work was performed on the truck. As for the '01 model year, the only knock was the 4R100 had a mechanical diode that was prone to failure. Only year (partial year run if I remember right) it had this in the tranny before Ford changed it back to it's original design.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L, 4x4, LB, SRW, Crew Cab, 3.73's, BTS Trans "BTS BUBBA" , 6.0 tranny cooler, DP Tuner NS, stock, 60HP tow, 80HP econo, Autometer Ultralites on pillar & cubby, Ford AIS w/Zoodad, '08 Aluminum Diff. Cover, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Heated Tow Mirrors, Warn Premium hubs, AIH Delete, Go's Headlight Harness, IC Foil Delete, Homemade CCV mod. The Silver Bullitt

My Truck Pics

2006 33' Courgar 5'er W/4 wheelers in tow
2003 Explorer XLT - Mom's Taxi
1990 Honda - the 27 MPG daily beater
1967 Mustang FB on blocks - my other toy
ponyboychris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pardon my ingnorance, but what is the CPS sensor?

Did the mechanical diode cause major failure, or was this just a small annoyance that ruined driveablility?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ahh.....answered one of my own questions......Camshaft Posistion Sensor. Will look into that with dealer and ensure it gets done.

Was exhaust modification a big improvement? What about a chip??
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_munyak View Post
Did the mechanical diode cause major failure, or was this just a small annoyance that ruined driveablility?
When the diode fails, it will not allow the tranny to shift either into 2nd or 3rd gear. It will not "unfix" itself either. Once it goes, it's toast. Total rebuild is in order. If it did go in the past, chances are the PO took it to a dealer for a fix, that's the reason I recommended an OASIS report first to see if the tranny was rebuilt. If it was rebuilt by the dealer, they would (should) have done away with the mech. diode and given you the non-diode version in the truck as a replacement. It was not a recall but a Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) on this issue.

Quote:
Was exhaust modification a big improvement? What about a chip??
A popular exhaust upgrade is to go with an aftermarket 4" turbo back system from one of the sponsors here on TDS. A very popular chip/tuner upgrade is the DP Tuner. But, I strongly recommend before any performance mods are done, install a quality set of gauges on the truck. EGT, boost and Tranny temp will be the ticket.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L, 4x4, LB, SRW, Crew Cab, 3.73's, BTS Trans "BTS BUBBA" , 6.0 tranny cooler, DP Tuner NS, stock, 60HP tow, 80HP econo, Autometer Ultralites on pillar & cubby, Ford AIS w/Zoodad, '08 Aluminum Diff. Cover, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Heated Tow Mirrors, Warn Premium hubs, AIH Delete, Go's Headlight Harness, IC Foil Delete, Homemade CCV mod. The Silver Bullitt

My Truck Pics

2006 33' Courgar 5'er W/4 wheelers in tow
2003 Explorer XLT - Mom's Taxi
1990 Honda - the 27 MPG daily beater
1967 Mustang FB on blocks - my other toy
ponyboychris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.