2002 4x4 Excursion Transmission question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 4x4 Excursion Transmission question

I have used this truck to tow a 34' 9600 lb TT. Currently has 118k on it. Towing probably constitutes 15% of the mileage. I have towed the last 2 weekends with strange results. 1st weekend was to the mountains in NC but I was only towing a utility trailer with a four wheeler on it. I never noticed any problems until we stopped to drop the four wheeler off on the return trip. I had towed about 200 miles when we stopped. After dropping off the four wheeler the truck would not drop into 1st gear. (it is an automatic BTW) I tried to manually move it into first and second and it wouldn't go into either (IE, the lever moved correctly, but the transmission acted as if it was in high still.) I turned the truck off and back on and the problem went away. The transmission temp gauge was reading in the middle like always.(I do not have an aftermarket gauge)

This past weekend I hooked up the camper to go to the beach. As soon as I started down the drive way the I noticed the truck wasn't in low. Went through the routine again (shifted to 1st and 2nd then turned the truck off.) Same results. Shifted fine after that. Worked fine the rest of the weekend. BUT, I have a 2 week trip to Florida planned for this June. So, I am wondering if there is something I should be doing now, to try to find a potential problem.

The last time I changed the transmission fluid (at 90k miles BTW) I used Mobil1 ATF. We do NOT put a whole lot of miles on this truck. (Been almost a year since I changed the fluid and we took a long trip right after I changed the fluid last spring)

Any suggestions or ideas? I am thinking I may do another transmission fluid change IF I can find the right transmission fluid (I read a post somewhere that Mobil1 has changed their ATF to be Mercon V) Past that I am not sure what else to try.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

greg
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)
Re: 2002 4x4 Excursion Transmission question

I would have the codes pulled and see what they say.
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Even though there were no flashing lights or anything (O/D light not flashing or any other indicators that I could see) ? You think it may have some sensor going bad in the transmission?

greg
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

Could be the shift solenoids. It doesn't always have to turn on the warning lights to have a code.
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Add 1 can of TRANS-X and it will take care of that sticking valve.
ATS housing
W Wheel
Turbo Timer
manual waste gate
boost pop off
dual tranmission cooler
no exhaust valve
tripple phantom gauges
dieselsite 6 position chip
oil cross over line
transmission valve body
Billit Torque converter
crowhater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
Add 1 can of TRANS-X and it will take care of that sticking valve.

[/ QUOTE ] And the rest of the transmission along with it. Transmission over haul in a can never takes care of the real issue with the transmission.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Could be the shift solenoids. It doesn't always have to turn on the warning lights to have a code.

[/ QUOTE ]take it to a reputable transmission shop ( not aamco or cottmans ) and they will probably put it on the scanner for free. ( we do )Most of the time it is the solinoid pack in late model E4OD and 4R100. I have also seen the ignition switch cause the same prob but that usually affects the lockup on the torque converter causing it to slip while trying to lock. this mostly happens on GM 4L60E and 4L80e but some fords to. hope you catch it soon or you may be looking at some$$$$$$$ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
2000 f-250 crewcab lwb 7.3powerstroke.32" BF goodrich A/T. A.R.E. bedcover. edge attitude chip. seatback DVD player installed.Westin nerf bars and sportsman brushguard with 8" 800 wt IPF lights and stone guards
ray1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my guess. I think you can get that done for under $400. Time to start thinking about your new BTS tranny.
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
clamgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.