2002 7.3 died & will not start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 died & will not start

Long time reader here, but new to post. My 2002 7.3 (bone stock) with 96K miles has died, will turnover, but will not start. Here is what happened: Went to Walmart, about a 10 mile trip ran normal. Came out of the store, started funny, but ran weird. I had a 1/4 tank of fuel as per the guage (gauge does not work 100% of the time) so I thought maybe guage was off, and pulled in to the fuel station for fuel. While fueling, the truck started making an awful diesel sounding noise, missing, blowing blue smoke, and idling very low. I jumped in the truck in hopes of reving the engine to avoid it dying, pressed the accelerator, with no effect. The truck did die, but I was able to start it. Started funny by grinding a little extra. Placed it in Drive, no throttle response whatsoever, and was only able to idle a few hundred yards where it died and has never started since. Had it towed home.

Here is what I have done:

>1st, no check engine light never came on.
>Changed fuel filter (normal fuel amount was present before I changed the filter, bowl was full)
>Changed cam position sensor with new OEM version (gray)
>Added 2 quarts of oil (was low)
>Checked all fuses under dash, no problems.
>Checked the fuel cut off switch, thinking someone had bumped my truck at the store, I felt no button, I assume it pops up when tripped.
>I do have 2 year old batteries, and currently have 12+ volts. Just to be safe, I have the batteries on a battery charger and while starting.
>Purchased AE scanner, scanner detects:
P0500 Vehicle speed sensor A
U2015 Signal Link Fault
B1203 Fuel sender circuit short to battery
P0232 fuel pump secondary circuit high
P0221 Throttle / pedal position sensor switch b circuit range
K0E0 Test: P1298 Injector driver module failure

I did suspect the fuel pump from the beginning since the engine did sound like it was starving for fuel. The fuel bowl is still empty even after repeatedly trying to start the engine, to me that is a red flag. I do not have any noise or sounds coming from the fuel pump. I did disconnect the fuel pump electric pig tail, and check for voltage. I have no voltage.

I have never had any problems with this truck (original owner) other than a few occasions accelerating from a dead stop (traffic light), I pressed the accelerator and the check engine light came on for a 1 second and I had no power, then everything was ok.

Is there a relay in the engine compartment that could be bad? I so, where? I switched out many of the relays in the fuse box, but no luck. Could the TPS cause this? Any suggestions? Becoming desperate. Thanks.
runco0318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Look in your owners manual. There should be a chart for relay and fuse locations. If you just turn the key on the pump only runs for maybe 10-20seconds. When the truck starts the pump then stays running. As I am sure you figured by now have someone turn the key on while you are looking at the meter.

If the fuel bowl is empty the pump is not working. If the fuel bowl is filling and the truck is still fuel starving you could have air in the system or blockage at the pickup.

Since you have AE it will read high pressure oil. If you are getting fuel in the bowl and the truck still deos not start or runs rough. Check the high pressure oil pressure. You need 500psi for the injectors to open. Then your psi will range from 500+- to 3000 depending on load. You got to be getting on it hard to see 3000psi. AE is show battery voltage too. Have that displayed also. The truck will crank at 10 volts but unless it sees 10.5 the injectors will not fire.

Good luck. Post reults as soon as you can. I'm sure more knowledable people then I will chime in too.
2002 EX 4x2 Amsoil front to back with Amsoil oil bypass filtration, Cyclone Power fan, HX oil line, Dieselsite prepump and tank mods, local high performance transmission, MagHytec pans,MBRP 4" exhaust, AFE Stage II, BD EBV exhaust brake, Bright Box, Diesel Turbo Life Saver, Dieselsite 6pos. chip, Trans, EGT, Pyro and water temp gauges, Dieselsite tranny cooler, Dieselsite 203dg t-stat, Dieselsite AIH plug, rerout ccv, Coolant filter, Firestone Ride Rites, hellwig rear sway bar, Garrett BB turbo. Dieselsite hpop filter, Auto Enginuity program. Dieselsite Adrenaline hpop.
skibarefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

When you turn the key on do you hear the pump come on. have someone turn the key on while you crawl under the truck and put your hand on the pump to feel if it is working(pump is under drivers side on the inside of the frame.good luck
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had someone to turn the switch on while I was under the truck touching the fuel pump. I do feel and hear a click, but no running of the pump. No vibration, just a click and a tick of the pump. I disconencted the electric plug, and hooked up my dc meter. The meter shows a 0.024 volts for only a 1/2 second then 0 volts. Ideas or suggestions?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would run a buzz test with AE. Clear the codes first and then recheck after cranking a couple of times. I think you only have about 20 seconds after the key is on to check the voltage at the fuel pump. The pcm might not be telling the fuel pump to turn on if it sees some fault. Not real sure on that one.
2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) . 6637 riffraff filter kit . AIH delete. Oil crossover. 6.0 tranny cooler. In tank mods. Wicked Wheel. EBPV delete. Walker 21470 muffler. Riffraff FRX
tbpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
did you also check under hood fuses ???

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

O'K, I have cleared the codes using the AE, now I have none. I have cranked and cranked, it sounds like it so close to starting, but will not start, and I have no codes. I was not able to recheck the pump for life or a heartbeat (my helper is at the mall shopping), I will try later. I don't think the 2002 trucks have a fuse box under the hood. Is there a relay under the hood, on the firewall? I have checked all fuses and relays in the dash below the column, and nothing. I even switched out the relays with other relays, nothing. My 2002 owners manual only mentions the fuse box in the cab. Could the throttle position sensor caused this, I did have a code for this? Also, would I have a code if the fuel cut off switch was tripped? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

If your not getting any codes coming back I would suspect a problem with your fuel pump or no voltage. Have you opened up the fuel bowl to see if it is filling up? Double check your voltage on the the fuel pump when you helper gets back. There is a relay for the fuel pump not listed in the owners manual. It is burried in the dash to the left of the radio by the blinker flasher.
2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) . 6637 riffraff filter kit . AIH delete. Oil crossover. 6.0 tranny cooler. In tank mods. Wicked Wheel. EBPV delete. Walker 21470 muffler. Riffraff FRX
Old 12-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

My helper returned, and no change in the fuel pump noise or voltage after I cleared the codes. I did open the fuel bowl, nothing. I pulled my factory radio and found the blinker flasher, but I could not locate the fuel pump relay. Do you have a pic to show me? Also, I have read on other boards there is a relay in the dash behind the radio, then I have read there is no realy, so I am confused.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
The FP relay is in the fuse/relay panel on the 02 and later trucks. Earlier trucks had it located with the flasher and trailer light relay under the radio.

Fuse for the FP relay power is F2.40 (20A), then the relay, then the inertial cutoff switch, then the fuel pump connector. See if you can follow 12V power thru the circuit, starting at the fuse. Check it with a meter as they can sometimes fool you, looking good, but actually bad. The relay may be bad also, but if you swapped it with others, that would rule that out. On the cutoff switch, you should be able to feel the button even if it's not tripped. Be sure the button is down and latched. On the fuel pump connector, there should be 12V on the pink/black wire for about 20 sec after turning on the key. The black wire is ground.

The control side of the FP relay is fed from the PCM power relay, so if your WTS light comes on, then that's an indication that power is getting to the relaly coil. The PCM provides a ground to complete that circuit.

Hope that helps.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Clearly the lift pump is not coming on or not purging properly. Either the pump is toast or the electrical that activates it is malfunctioning. It could be as simple as the tank doesn't have enough fuel in it or the pickup in the tank is malfunctioning. If there's no fuel flowing to the pump, it won't make much noise.

I recently ran my truck out of fuel and it was very challenging to get started. I ran down to the gas station and tried to refill the tank one gallon at a time. One gallon wasn't enough. It took 2. Once the tank had enough to limp to the station, I had to purge the air out of the system between the tank and the fuel filter bowl. Initially I thought the lift pump wasn't pushing any fuel into the system but it had to be that there was so much air in the system that a purge took more than one or two cycles. I swore I couldn't hear it pumping. More like 8. It finally purged. Even still, air got into the system past the fuel bowl and I just had to let the truck work it out. It ran like junk for several minutes.
2000 F250 2WD 7.3L, 265,000 Miles, 6spd Manual, Hypertech programmer, 4" Flowmaster Exhaust, VegiStroke V3, Custom Vegi Oil Tank and Toolbox, Retrax Rolltop Bed Cover, Al's Liner, ITP Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit, Harpoon Mod, Pioneer Avic-X710BT, BlueTooth Audio. 2006 Front and Rear axles and suspension parts installed.
vegoilrecycler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Don't make it so hard guys! Had this happen on a few trucks, just leave the filter and cap off and hit the key a few times, if you don't have a mess time to locate a pump! I've found the original FORD ones the best and longest lasting.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

I think I am making headway. I have checked the F2.40 fuse with my meter, good. I have confirmed I have 12 volts with the switch on at the fuse. I have removed the kick panel where the fuel cut off switch is, switch is not tripped. I unplugged the switch and check for voltage on the green/yellow wire (hot when key switch is on), and I have 0.024 volts same read at the fuel pump, 0 volts when key is off. So between the fuel pump fuse and the cut off switch, I have a problem. So I am suspecting the K4 fuel pump relay (the only other circuit betwen the fuse and relay). However, I do not know where this is. I found a schematic for a 2002 at this web address http://www.frybrid.com/ford_02_fuses_wiring.pdf (page 6 of 19 pdf file). None of the relays that I see in the fuse panel are labeled fuel pump. Do I need to unbolt the fuse junction box and look behind? Ideas?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

re

Quote:
Originally Posted by runco0318 View Post
My helper returned, and no change in the fuel pump noise or voltage after I cleared the codes. I did open the fuel bowl, nothing. I pulled my factory radio and found the blinker flasher, but I could not locate the fuel pump relay. Do you have a pic to show me? Also, I have read on other boards there is a relay in the dash behind the radio, then I have read there is no realy, so I am confused.

Sorry if I mis-guided you on the location of the relay. I just remember someone else telling the location and don't remember what year it was. I did some more searching and found this thread but it is a 2004 6.0. Relay Location....Help!!! 2004 6.0l

You might want to give the dealer a call and see what they show for the relay. You could also have a bad connection somewhere which would be a pain to find. Hopefully someone else will know.

Last edited by tbpower; 12-27-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Could a bad IDM cause no voltage at the fuel pump? I did get a P1208 Inector Driver Module failure when I performed a K0E0 test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.