2002 7.3 what engine brake?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 what engine brake??

7.3 what enging brake would suggest and are they hard to put in?
Just DOn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I added a engine brake tune on my DP Tuner.
Stealth Monitor
GoldwingElf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldwingElf View Post
I added a engine brake tune on my DP Tuner.
I have that tune too but doesn't seem to do anything. Ended up not even using it at all
2002 F-250 Crew Cab, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, DP Tuner, 4" Exhaust, AFE Intake, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, 6.0 Transmission Cooler, External Transmission Filter, On-Board Air, AutoEnginuity Ford Enhanced, JW Towmaster, International Bellowed Up-Pipes:-jammin
rtalich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just DOn View Post
7.3 what enging brake would suggest ...
There are two kinds of exhaust brakes - the cheaper "electronic" kind, and the over-$1,000 mechanical kind.

The electronic kind does a decent job for trailers that weigh up to around 8,000 pounds, and it will help at least some with heavier trailers. There are two versions of the electronic exhaust brake.

The least expensive is the DP-Tuner Decel tune. It's used only for coming down the mountain, so it won't work with a programmer or tuner - you have to have a "chip" with other tunes on the chip. The switch to the Decel tune at the top of the pass, then back to your towing tune at the bottom of the pass. The Decel tune costs only $40 if you already have the chip.
F5 1-16 Position Switch on the fly Chip - Chips - Tuning - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

More expensive is a plug-in model such as the BD Brakeloc.
BD Power - Product: 7.3L BrakeLoc

The better (and more expensive) exhaust brakes have their own butterfly valve they use to stop up the exhaust pipe and retard the engine. They're made by PacBrake, U.S.Gear, Banks, BD and maybe others. They all cost over $1000 MSRP. Here's the BD version:
BD Power - Product: Exhaust Brakes

I had an electronic exhaust brake similar to the BD Brakeloc - cost around $400 for automagic tranny, or $200 for stick shift. (The automatic has more programming to lock up the torque converter so the engine stays locked to the rear axle.) The seller has sold out to a bigger outfit, so I won't link to that one, but it worked great.

Quote:
and are they hard to put in?
The "real" exhaust brakes are not very hard. You have to install the butterfly valve in the exhaust system, and hook up some wires and a switch on the dash. Here is a link to the BD Exhaust Brake for a 7.3L. Decide for yourself.
http://www.dieselperformance.com/pro..._Air_Brake.pdf

The BrakeLoc is even easier, because it uses the EBPV that's already installed in your engine. And the tune is easiest of all - provided you already have a multi-position chip installed. If you don't already have a chip, then you'll want one so make that your next mod:
Chips - Tuning - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalich View Post
I have that tune too but doesn't seem to do anything. Ended up not even using it at all
Then you probably didn't understand how it works. The DP-Tuner Decel tune does a good job of retarding the rig, but only when a heavy trailer is pushing you down the mountain at a faster clip than you want to go. Under those conditions, downshift to maintain the engine RPM between 2,500 and 3,000 and you will definitely get some retarding - assuming your exhaust back pressure valve (EBPV) is installed and working properly. If your trailer weighs less than about 8,000 or maybe up to 9,000 pounds, you probably won't even need to use the brakes at all to maintain a safe speed around 65 MPH.

At any engine RPM less than about 2,000, it won't do much. It begins working at around 2,000 RPM, and doesn't really go to work until 2,500 or so RPM.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 01-03-2013 at 12:00 PM.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
There are two kinds of exhaust brakes - the cheaper "electronic" kind, and the over-$1,000 mechanical kind.

The electronic kind does a decent job for trailers that weigh up to around 8,000 pounds, and it will help at least some with heavier trailers. There are two versions of the electronic exhaust brake.

The least expensive is the DP-Tuner Decel tune. It's used only for coming down the mountain, so it won't work with a programmer or tuner - you have to have a "chip" with other tunes on the chip. The switch to the Decel tune at the top of the pass, then back to your towing tune at the bottom of the pass. The Decel tune costs only $40 if you already have the chip.
F5 1-16 Position Switch on the fly Chip - Chips - Tuning - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

More expensive is a plug-in model such as the BD Brakeloc.
BD Power - Product: 7.3L BrakeLoc

The better (and more expensive) exhaust brakes have their own butterfly valve they use to stop up the exhaust pipe and retard the engine. They're made by PacBrake, U.S.Gear, Banks, BD and maybe others. They all cost over $1000 MSRP. Here's the BD version:
BD Power - Product: Exhaust Brakes

I had an electronic exhaust brake similar to the BD Brakeloc - cost around $400 for automagic tranny, or $200 for stick shift. (The automatic has more programming to lock up the torque converter so the engine stays locked to the rear axle.) The seller has sold out to a bigger outfit, so I won't link to that one, but it worked great.

The "real" exhaust brakes are not very hard. You have to install the butterfly valve in the exhaust system, and hook up some wires and a switch on the dash. Here is a link to the BD Exhaust Brake for a 7.3L. Decide for yourself.
http://www.dieselperformance.com/pro..._Air_Brake.pdf

The BrakeLoc is even easier, because it uses the EBPV that's already installed in your engine. And the tune is easiest of all - provided you already have a multi-position chip installed. If you don't already have a chip, then you'll want one so make that your next mod:
Chips - Tuning - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

Then you probably didn't understand how it works. The DP-Tuner Decel tune does a good job of retarding the rig, but only when a heavy trailer is pushing you down the mountain at a faster clip than you want to go. Under those conditions, downshift to maintain the engine RPM between 2,500 and 3,000 and you will definitely get some retarding - assuming your exhaust back pressure valve (EBPV) is installed and working properly. If your trailer weighs less than about 8,000 or maybe up to 9,000 pounds, you probably won't even need to use the brakes at all to maintain a safe speed around 65 MPH.

At any engine RPM less than about 2,000, it won't do much. It begins working at around 2,000 RPM, and doesn't really go to work until 2,500 or so RPM.
SmokeyWren Thanks for your reply, my 5th wheel is 13,850 GVWR, I was leaning towards the Banks. I was wondering if I could put it on when asking how hard, well hoping.. Also that Trans auto lock and some air bags
Thanks for your suggestions Smokeywrench
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
SmokeyWren Thanks for your reply, my 5th wheel is 13,850 GVWR, ...
Then you probably want a "real" exhaust brake, such as the Banks.

Quote:
I was leaning towards the Banks.
Banks makes excellent products, although some are overpriced compared to the competition. Lots of enthusiasts on this website poo-poo Banks because they sell only bullet-proof go-fast tunes that will not harm your engine. If you want a tune that can win the Saturday Nite sled pull, then you probably don't want a Banks tune - it doesn't produce enough power. But the Banks tunes will also not grenade your engine, so they're great for the average bear that just wants more power to tow that heavy trailer up Wolf Creek Pass, along with the Banks exhaust brake to get you safely down the other side.

Quote:
I was wondering if I could put it on when asking how hard, well hoping..
I hate automotive wiring, so I pay someone else to install anything that requires wiring. But if you're comfortable with splicing wires and doing the mechanical tasks of installing the butterfly in the exhaust system, then it's probably a relatively easy mod to DIY.

Quote:
Also that Trans auto lock ...
With an automagic tranny, you definitely want to have a way to lock the torque converter when coming down the mountain. I suspect Banks includes that as part of the Banks Brake, but maybe it's an option if you have an automatic?. Again, that puppy is a lot of wiring that has to be done right, so I'd pay a tech to take care of that part. I built my retirement home and did all the wiring myself, but automotive wiring is a different animal that I hate to mess with.

Quote:
...and some air bags
I hope you have enough truck to tow that 13+K trailer with ~2,600 pounds of pin weight without being overloaded over the GVWR of the tow vehicle. Air bags are normally not required if you're not overloaded. But they won't hurt anything, and help to bring the headlights back down so they don't irritate oncoming traffic.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Best period is a BD brake, I've used these and sold-installed many for customers. If I can help let me know.

Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't even though of power chips IM not in2 racing, just pulling my home. Also would like to stop well, get some air bags and then maybe a chip, 13.7 miles per gallon lol.
Guess I need to locate some one close to Longview TX to do it..
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I haven't even though of power chips IM not in2 racing, just pulling my home. Also would like to stop well, .....
That's me, too. But guarantee, after you tow that heavy trailer with a DP-Tuner 60-tow or 40-tow tune, you'll never want to hook up to the trailer again without that tune. With the stock tune, the automagic tranny will downshift out of OD for every little bump in the road. With the towing tune, it has to be a decent grade before the tranny will downshift.

Way back when, I had a one-tune Western Diesel chip good for around 60 HP, and my 5er grossed 8,000 pounds. On the road, my PCM went south, and the dealer installed a different PCM code, so my chip would no longer work. We made a long towing trip to Seattle and back without a chip, and that was a miserable trip. As soon as we got home, I ordered an Edge programmer with 3 tunes. Later I had Bill Cohron replace the generic Edge tunes with DP-Tuner tunes 40-tow, 60-tow and 80-economy, then continued with the DP-Tuner tunes until I sold the truck several years later.

That was before DP-Tuner had the Decel tune working, so I had another brand of electronic exhaust brake that worked fine.

Today, in your shoes, I would order the DP-Tuner multi-position chip with 40-tow, 60-tow, Decel, plus a good stock tune, along with a switch to instantly change tunes on the go. Then the decal tune could be selected at the top of the pass, and your towing tune when you got off the mountain. The Decel tune is only $40 extra, so if you later decide you need a more-powerful exhaust brake you wouldn't have wasted much money. But if it's enough exhaust brake for you, you'll have saved over $1,000.

Then after your first 1,000 mile trip with the 5er, come back and tell me you don't need the towing chip.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the thorough explanation SmokeyWren! Will give that a shot next time I'm towing :-)
2002 F-250 Crew Cab, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, DP Tuner, 4" Exhaust, AFE Intake, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, 6.0 Transmission Cooler, External Transmission Filter, On-Board Air, AutoEnginuity Ford Enhanced, JW Towmaster, International Bellowed Up-Pipes:-jammin
rtalich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would go with Banks. It will give you more horsepower, lower your egts. It also will lock up torque convertor. It also cycles everytime the truck is turned on when cold.
Strictly diesel overboost annihilator
jobeperformance intake
dieselsite 203 t stat, coolant filter, evans coolant
38r with bank-bighead installed, diesel site non ebv flange international up-pipes coated, diesel site engine boot-kit, non-ebv pedestal
strictly diesel regulated fuel return kit 65psi.
new fuel bowl
CMF+ intake
isspro ev2 pyrometer(pre turbo), fuel pressure, coolant temp, HPOP gauge Matt
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Harris View Post
I would go with Banks. It will give you more horsepower, lower your egts. It also will lock up torque convertor. It also cycles everytime the truck is turned on when cold.
Whats egts?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardin View Post
Suggest y'all take this to e-mail or private messages. It's off-topic for this thread.

Zip found his own answer, this one is closed.

Mike Hardin,
F-D.Com Moderator
Exhaust Gas Temperature, gives you insight into cylinder temperatures to keep from melting the pistons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)//Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

First vehicle (still driving): 96 F250 XLT 2x4- All factory (injectors & turbo) except straight exhaust. 570k miles

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Whats egts?
Exhaust gas temperature. With the sender installed pre-turbo (in the exhaust manifold or up pipe), normal is around 500 to 900. 900 to 1,100 means you are working the engine hard. 1,200 is about the max you can get with a stock tune, and to get there you must be dragging a heavy trailer at a good speed up a steep grade. Or racing of some sort. The red line is 1,250 pre-turbo EGT. Don't allow it to go over 1.250 for more than a few seconds, because the aluminum pistons begin to melt out of shape at over 1,250).

With a "chip" or other hot-rod or towing "tune", the EGT redline is still 1,250, but you can get there really fast, even when not towing. And with pedal to the metal, you get a lot more EGT than 1,250 before you can blink. So you must have a pyrometer (EGT gauge) and "drive by the gauges" when you have a chip or programmer or other tune that increases power and torque. Else say bye-bye to you $10,000 engine.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I really like my Banks.....

My F550 weighs 12,000 lbs and I tow some pretty heavy trailers.
When going down hills and looonnnngggggg hills, it is a real nice feature.

Plus, the xtra large size of the elbow combined with a full 4" exhaust......

I would recommend.
1992 F-Superduty Dump truck 7.3 - Luk SMF 5spd 5:13 rears-Ricksons 19.5 wheels & tires-Banks get kits.
This is my work hoarse !

2000 F550 - Crew cab -Custom Hood
Harley Flamed Fenders & Doors.
4x4-7.3 - South Bend 6spd 4:88 rears. Loaded ! Volant intake
Hog Performance 4" SS exhaust
Banks wheel, turbine, exhaust brake-Ceramic coated
AFE Blade Runner Spyder
Strickley Diesel Return Fuel & Banjo Bolts
IH up pipes - ceramic coated
Powder coated everything.
Brake Performance-slotted & dimpled rotors with performance pads
DP Tuner 80 Tow
Coolant filter system
Evens Coolant
203 thermostat
Bullet Liner coated Dana 60 front end

2008 F-350 Harley Davidson Crew cab - long bed - 6.4 - Banks-Six gun-Air intake-IQ-Dual Exhaust

2004 Pace American 28' x 9' x 8' enclosed work trailer. 18k GVW. Tri axle - loaded

Custom Built Roll -Off dump trailer. 17yard box. Double dual axles. 20k GVW.

Fully decked 2003 Anni Fat Boy.
Rare "Reaper Tins"
Mongus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.