2002 ford f250 7.3 Turbo diesel no start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 ford f250 7.3 Turbo diesel no start

Okey here whats wrong i had been driving the truck every dad normaly and randomly one day i had shut the truck off when i got home next day come back it wouldn't start. It cranks over fine (has new batteries and starter) but wont fire. So i sprayed a little starting fluid in and it started up and ran fine and good like normal, drove it around and every thing , turn the truck of and go to start again it wouldn't start so it only starts on starting fluid. Then next day i go and it started up fine that week i was leaving to go camping so i was taking the truck, so as we were going to the place it was 2 hrs away. We stopped by a store and shut it of went inside the store came back out it wouldn't start, sprayed some starting fluid and it started up and we drove it there once we got there we parked. 3 days later it would start up again when we were leaving and finally when we got home it wouldn't start, its been a whole winter and it still wont start since it got warmer outside i decided to start working on it again and i cant figure it out i replaced the injector computer and that wasn't it maybe its engine comp? it seems to have a delayed throttle response and loss of power, when i hooked up the scanner it didn't show any codes and engine light inst on. And the injector relay isn't clicking when you turn the key? Also it is getting fuel, fuel pump is working you can here it, even if engine is warmed up it still wont start withought ether Please help need to get it back on the rode.
orest100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

If the check engine light was on there are codes. Your code reader may not be able to talk with the diesel computers. Try unplugging the ICP sensor and try to start it. It is the sensor on the drivers head, on the inner side all the way towards the front. It sort of sticks straight up. Check the connector for oil in it while it's unplugged.
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Please stop using starting fluid on it. These trucks have glow plugs that can ignite the starting fluid prematurely and could cause major damage or serious injury. If you absolutely HAVE to use starting fluid, at least disconnect the glow plug relay to disable the glow plugs.

Your problem sounds like an intermittent electrical problem, possibly with the ignition switch (mounted on the steering column just inside the fuse panel access). It could also be either the IDM or PCM relay that isn't pulling in properly.

If your scan tool didn't pick up any codes, it must be a generic tool, most of which aren't capable of pulling codes off a PSD. Like Tom said, if the check engine light was on, you WILL have codes stored.

His suggestion of disconnecting the ICP sensor is a good one to try also. It will cause the CEL to come on when you do that, but the computer will use default values to run the engine.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

If he is able to get it to start and run on ether each time it won't start on it's own then I would suspect some kind of intermittant failure of the glow plug system.

IMO ether is safe to use on these engines if you know what you are doing. One thing you don't do on ether is let the glow plugs run - you spray and hit the ignition immediately. Use *sparingly* like the smallest little burst you can manage is enough.

I could not tell for sure from his post if the CEL was on or not but I think he said it was not. I believe "inst" s/b "isn't".
2005 Escape 2.3L/CD4E
jstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yea i understand what can happen with ether i just use one little squirt, But anyways I had unhooked The ICP sensor and the truck didn't start, check engine light did come on when i did this. And i had somone come when it first died in the summer who works at a dealer ships and he had a good computer that was meant for diesel to, and it didn't show anything when he hooked it up to the computer. Were are the IDM relay and PCM relays located? And i noticed that the glow plug relay isn't clicking?

Last edited by orest100; 04-09-2011 at 09:23 PM.
orest100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.