2003 7.3 4X4 Torque Converter Lock Up Problems, at my wits ends please help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2003 7.3 4X4 Torque Converter Lock Up Problems, at my wits ends please help

about 6 months ago i traded my tow truck for this 2003 Lariat F250 PSD 4X4, and from day one i knew there was something not quite right about the transmission.

when it started getting bad i lost my cruise control, and my TC lock up in over drive. it was a bad connection at the transmission. So i cleaned up the plug put electrical grease on it and it solved my problem for about 3 weeks.

well after the problem occurred again i couldn't fix it, meaning it wasnt a bad connection any more. so being it was my only vehicle i had to continue driving it with out the tc locking up.

shortly after that i burned up the transmission, no forward only reverse. i removed the transmission, had it rebuilt with a new heavy duty torque converter for around $1200

after installing it trans shifted great but still no tc lock up. and now after driving it for 2 weeks in its current state second gear is starting to slip and vibrating pretty bad like it dont want to slip but it kinda is.

im thinking im over heating the trans being i dont have a properly working temp gauge for it. im assuming the tc not locking up is causing my trans temp to shoot up.

further diagnosis says the pcm is not giving the command to lock up the tc when its in over drive (4th Gear)

Can some one for the love of god help me get this straightened out????

i ohmed out all the wires coming from the pcm to the trans and they all check out. no shorts, no broken wires. but i did fine that 3 grounds going to the pcm are not finding a ground. those 3 grounds are supposed to ground out on the fire wall i tested the grounds and they are grounding out but i dont think they are grounding out the pcm..

thanks in advance
Tommy_PGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does the PCM have a chip installed.? Has the PCM been reprogrammed? Did the PO install the TC lockup mod? Is there a switch on the dash that you don't know what it's for? Just info. The TC should lockup at about 27MPH when upshifting into 3rd, it's possible to shift into OD at 36 to 40 MPH depending how fast the accelleration is.

If no up shift 2 to 3, S1 solenoid could be defective, also check connector plug on pass side of trans.

Quote:
after installing it trans shifted great but still no tc lock up. and now after driving it for 2 weeks in its current state second gear is starting to slip and vibrating pretty bad like it dont want to slip but it kinda is.
This is what I don't understand. If the TC didn't lockup, then your still driving around in 2nd gear, that's why the tranny burned up again. You must of had awful high RPM's to go anyplace, or your not stating it right.

"trans shifted great but" Did it up shift 1st to 2nd @ 12-15 MPH--2nd to 3rd @ 26-27 MPH ---3rd to OD @ 36 to 40 MPH as said before? You cannot go into OD if the TC is not locked up.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.

Last edited by Bill1013; 09-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
You cannot go into OD if the TC is not locked up.
Of course you can. Overdrive and lockup are separate. The transmission will shift into overdrive without the torque converter locking.

The way to fix this is to get a scan tool that can read live data. Then you'll need to monitor the inputs that the PCM uses to determine what is preventing lockup.

One thing you can check is the brake lights. If one of the three brake lights is not working it can keep the converter from locking.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for that info Mark. I was under the impression that was how it worked. Wouldn't that create a tremendous amount of heat in the TC tho?
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

It could, yes, but it even when operating correctly the torque converter can be unlocked in fourth gear.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Like I Said before the snap on scanner said the pcm is not even sending the command to lock up the converter, everything that was mentioned about checking has been checked several times. this is why im screwed looks like i will be ripping this trans mission out every 2 weeks for a rebuild because my tc wont lock up lol
Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
Does the PCM have a chip installed.? Has the PCM been reprogrammed? Did the PO install the TC lockup mod? Is there a switch on the dash that you don't know what it's for? Just info. The TC should lockup at about 27MPH when upshifting into 3rd, it's possible to shift into OD at 36 to 40 MPH depending how fast the accelleration is.

If no up shift 2 to 3, S1 solenoid could be defective, also check connector plug on pass side of trans.
yes i run an edge programmer on a stage 2 but i have had the truck un programmed and i get the same results, no tc lock up mod but looks like im going to have to do it. tc only locks up in 4th gear well should any ways.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_PGT View Post
Like I Said before the snap on scanner said the pcm is not even sending the command to lock up the converter, everything that was mentioned about checking has been checked several times. this is why im screwed looks like i will be ripping this trans mission out every 2 weeks for a rebuild because my tc wont lock up lol
You can throw a new trans in every day and you won't fix this. Something is telling the PCM not to lock the converter. You will need to monitor data to see what it is. The parameters that I can think of include brake lights, throttle position, engine speed, turbine speed, vehicle speed ,engine temp, and trans temp. There are probably a few more, too.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
. tc only locks up in 4th gear well should any ways.
The torque converter can lock in all four forward gears if the conditions are right.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

do you guys think the tc is burning my tranny up??
Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
do you guys think the tc is burning my tranny up??
No.

Did you read this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
You can throw a new trans in every day and you won't fix this. Something is telling the PCM not to lock the converter. You will need to monitor data to see what it is. The parameters that I can think of include brake lights, throttle position, engine speed, turbine speed, vehicle speed ,engine temp, and trans temp. There are probably a few more, too.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Why don't you spend a $100 or so and have Ford or a shop run a tool on it, to see why it's not locking up, could be a PCM issue or something cheaper than that.
You can also try to swap in a used PCM and see what happens.
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

its honestly getting to complicated for me to figure out it will probably have to be dropped off at ford so they can figure it out. problem is im broke as **** so my options our limited.

I just dread taking it to ford being they are going to just throw a bunch of parts at it and charge me for it while i still have the same problem thats the dealer for you.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

A good independent shop would probably cost a lot less and do at least as well.

ASA Shop Locator

Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Don't know why people don't put there location in there profile. If they have a problem, I'd be more than willing to scan for them, providing there close to me, or if they want to come to me. Just PM me. I think this guy is gonna spend more money than an AE scanner would cost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.