The Diesel Stop banner

2003 7.3L extended cranking when starting?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  handier Andy 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 F 350 with the 7.3, I returned from a recent trip about 250 miles and since returning have noticed quite extended start up times. I have to crank her over for about 6 seconds until she finally starts. once running no issues noticed. Would this be indicative of a faulty fuel pump or what? Any ideas welcomed

#2 ·
Are your extended cranks when hot, cold or both? You may have developed some leakage in the HP oil system. It requires 500 psi to start, and if the injector o-rings are going out, it will be hard to start when hot and get progressively worse till it won't start even with cold oil.

#3 ·
It doesn't seem to matter the temperature outside. Nor does it seem to matter whether the truck had just been running or not. The engine had been rebuilt about 2,000 miles ago with new seals on rebuilt injectors. I have still yet to check the HPOP reservoir for leak down but will do that shortly. The batteries are fresh and cranking strong. Any ideas are welcome. I guess I was hoping for a fuel delivery problem since the fuel pump is readily accessible.

#4 ·
Fuel delivery is pretty easy to check. Open the filter drain valve and turn the key to on. The pump will run for about 20 seconds and if it's in good shape you should get a healthy stream out of the drain tube. You can also connect a pressure gauge to check delivery pressure. Minimum you should see is 45 psi for OK performance. Higher, up to about 65 psi is better.

#5 ·
Did you happen to change oil mfrs lately? Not to mention check your oil fill level?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.