2003 E-350 7.3L Very hard to start when cold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 E-350 7.3L Very hard to start when cold

I have this 2003 Diesel 7.3L very hard to start when cold. I just put in 2 new battery and when the weather very cold it won't start, the starter can't turn over fast enough. when i plug in the engine warmer electrical the truck would start ok. The problem when i leave home it wont start if i park too long. Anyone have any similar problem like this, would the starter go bad that can cause this problem or the glow plugs?
tofuzion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

it sounds like the starter may be going bad. does it turn over really slow all the time?
subgunrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

You need to start with Kevin's write-up:

Hard/No Start? Check here first.

The starter can definitely be the issue, but the glow plug relay is more commonly the problem. If you do find it bad, consider the Stancor mod:

Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

It turn over really slow when too cold outside and turn normal when warm up
tofuzion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
RT

Then, if you are sure your batteries are well charged (possible alternator issue if they aren't) and that all your connections are clean and tight, then you need to replace your starter. When and if mine goes out, I plan on replacing it with this one:

Ford Extreme Diesel Starter - 2-2197-ND Starter - Nippondenso OSGR 4.0 kW, 12 Volt, CW, 13-Tooth Pinion

If you are in a cold climate, you might also consider using Rotella T6 5W40 during wintertime as well.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Have your Alt checked to just make sure. But it sounds like the starter to me.
My guess, is you replaced the batts because it was not cranking over good. You put them in and it probably cranked over fine. Then shorty after it went back to the same old poor cranking. Thats what mine did. Replaced the starter and problem solved. But my starter about a week after putting the new batts in sounded like a garbage disposal grinder HA! So it was pretty clear what the problem was.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

If your running 15w-40 oil that could be the problem. When it really cold it gets really thick. I'm using the Rotella T5 5w-40 synthetic and the engine cranks over and starts way better than it did with 10w-30 Dino oil I used to use in winter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1999.5 F-250, 7.3L powerstroke diesel, extended cab Super Duty,short box, 8'-6" Fisher XTREMEV snowplow,Hypertech power programmer III,Banks Trans Command,Detroit locker in rear end,6 disc cd changer,brush quard,2 1/2" Tuff country leveling kit in front,285/75/16" ,Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar tires on MB wheels,Rancho RS9000X shocks
mnpowerstroke99.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
RT

Let's hope that in the three years since he posted this he got it figured out...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.