2003 f250 7.3 transmission problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 f250 7.3 transmission problems

I got a 2003 f250 7.3 diesel pick up. I been having allot of transmission problems with it. Since i have had it been threw 4 transmissions 2 of them being under warranty and 2 in the last 2 years. Has a 6 inch lift with 37 inch tires it. Last two times brought it to the dealer ship n they put a new one in. first time told me to get a programmer n set the tire size and said that was the problem. I did that and just had to bring it to ford because the over drive light started flashing and had to get a new trany put in. they said the planetary gear was shot. so i just got a new trany under warranty but i need to figure this problem out. i dont know if it could be the drive shaft or rear or what. need help.
thanks
football74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

First - get a transmission temperature gauge. The gauge on the dash is a glorified idiot light and won't let you know what is going on until too late. Second, get extra cooling. An upgrade to a 6.0 cooler is a good option. Third, clean your radiator fins. The oil to water cooler is in the bottom of the radiator and if the radiator gets gunked up, you'll cook transmissions. Fourth, get appropriate gearing for your tire size. Stock gears are 3.73 - that's good for stock tires. One of the gearing gurus that has all the tire size dimensions memorized can tell you which gears would be best but basically you need to know the difference in diameters between stock and your monsters and get a ratio the equivalent difference.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks
football74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Re: the 6.0L oil cooler...is that a complicated job or something owners can do on their own?
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 5-spd auto 4wd 3.55
NRA Life member
Wobblin-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
RT

Its so easy a third grader can do it. Here's how: 6.0 Transmission Cooler Write up.pdf
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

We'll having a 6.0L cooloer is a great addition, has burnt fluid be the cause of any the failures?? Are you towing alot or a bunch of weight ?
The dealer reprogrammed my truck for my upgraded 33" tires for like $60, I believe it was a 1/2 hours labor charge. I had it done to put the trans shifting back in the correct times.
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to jmmybuckles
Where is a good place to buy the 6.0 cooler?

02 x 5.4l bought wreck, did 05-07 conversion.- sold

99 F350 7.3psd, 4dr dually, 4x4, tymar intake, 4'turbo back, Dp tuner stock 40 t, 80 e, 120 race, 140 aggressive, 3 car Big Tex wedge.
jmmybuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
RT

Tousley Ford - best prices around. You can get the part number in the how to posted above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.