2003 f250 trans temp gauge readings how hot - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 f250 trans temp gauge readings how hot

I have a 2003 7.3auto 4r100 trans 4x4 f250. Does anyone know how hot it is when the factory trans temp gauge hits the yellow area? It got real close last weekend on my way to the Rubicon Trail. The trans is just rebuilt w/billet converter and deep aluminum pan. Still stock cooler though. Last summer the same section of hills got it in the red zone before i noticed it.
JOHNNYWEB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
As was said in the other thread where you asked this question, it goes to yellow at 230°F.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Here is a reference for Stock Gauge temperatures. Obviously it shows yellow at 250 not 230, but I would go with what Mark says.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
RT

Why don't you just bite the bullet and get the 6.0 cooler? It is an easy upgrade. Last week, I towed a 10,000 pound trailer 250 miles, including downtown Houston traffic, in 100° plus weather and my transmission temp never went over 170° F. (and, I will add - with Jody's tow tune - it was actually pretty fun )
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings8 View Post
Obviously it shows yellow at 250 not 230, but I would go with what Mark says.
That's possible. I'm going from memory from no later than 2004. Testing shows otherwise.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That's possible. I'm going from memory from no later than 2004. Testing shows otherwise.
Ya I looked into the 6.0 cooler. It's a little pricey but if it keeps it cool it is money well spent. The diagrams showed where they gor a 2003 model? 230 is do able for a short period but 250 I will want to pull over. Is there different 6.0 coolers or they all the same through 07? I see you mention 26 & 31 row cooler mentioned?

Last edited by JOHNNYWEB; 08-27-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
RT

Tousley Ford has good prices. There were apparently three sizes at one time, but only the two available now. Either will be a dramatic improvement over what you have now. It is a minimal investement for the return. If you take off the front bumper and grille, installation is a breeze. You do need to acquire two 3/8" to 1/2" barbed hose fittings and you'll need about a foot of 1/2" hose. I was able to get what I needed at Home Depot, although there are some simpler pre-fabs available on-line.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
Why don't you just bite the bullet and get the 6.0 cooler? It is an easy upgrade. Last week, I towed a 10,000 pound trailer 250 miles, including downtown Houston traffic, in 100° plus weather and my transmission temp never went over 170° F. (and, I will add - with Jody's tow tune - it was actually pretty fun )
As I wrote on another subject, I had the 26 tubes 6.0L cooler installed yesterday on my 99 PSD, but with 1 quart of the wrong tranny fluid to top off.

Afterward, I drove home 10 miles at low speed on a secondary winding road, not towing) and the tranny temperature gauge went up to 160 F. I think it is rather high, considering than when pulling my 15k lbs fiver with the 7.3L tranny cooler through the Adirondack Mountains the maximum temperature was about 178 F.

Note: don't ask me what the gauge read when I had the 7.3L and drove on the same road. But, is 160F too high or normal. No OTW cooler.

Petanqueur99
petanqueur99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Normal temps are about 170-180F.

There were two sizes of 6.0L coolers. The original was 31 rows, later ones were 26 rows. The 26 row cooler is a bit more efficient so you will get the same cooling from either.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
With my 25 row cooler (yes 25) I normally see about 125-135 empty. When I tow 150-160 is normal. You can expect 65-80 degrees over ambient for your temps. When it is 100 degrees out you will see 160-180 degrees, especially with no OTW cooler. When you are driving below 45 mph (give or take) your torque converter is unlocked and dumping more hot fluid through the cooler, than when it is locked. So a low speed secondary road will cause the temps to be higher.

Edit: I see Mark typed a response while I was doing mine. I bought my 5C3Z-7A095-CB off of ebay BNIB for something like $80 shipped.

Here are the 6.0 cooler options
5C3Z-7A095-CA 26 row cooler
5C3Z-7A095-CB 25 Row Cooler (Part number 5C3Z7A095CB was superseded by part number 5C3Z7A095CA.) From TousleyFord.com.
5C3Z-7A095-B 31 row cooler
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information

Last edited by woodnthings8; 08-27-2010 at 04:05 PM.
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys. Pulling the front end apart is a breeze ( I own a auto body collision repair shop) I am in need of a new a/c cond too as it if full of sand and crap for many desert wind storm miles. I am planning to do both at ones. Also I would ad I would not buy any hose from home depot? I will use hydraulic style high heat hose in my installation with double clamps on any barbs. Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Why not use transmission cooler line hose from your local auto parts store.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
RT

Yeah - I doubt anyone bought the hose at HomeDepot - I got mine at NAPA. I got the barbed hose fittings at Home Depot. I wouldn't worry about double clamping - you're not dealing with high pressure here.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

"As I wrote on another subject, I had the 26 tubes 6.0L cooler installed yesterday on my 99 PSD, but with 1 quart of the wrong tranny fluid to top off.

Afterward, I drove home 10 miles at low speed on a secondary winding road, not towing) and the tranny temperature gauge went up to 160 F. I think it is rather high, considering than when pulling my 15k lbs fiver with the 7.3L tranny cooler through the Adirondack Mountains the maximum temperature was about 178 F."

Well, I drove twice the same 10 miles on the same road yesterday and today, before and after replacing the ATF. After each trips, the tranny gauge read below 140F, rather then 160F!!!!

Do you think the sender or the gauge or both are bad?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have to add that the reading of about 138F (below 140F) is with synyhetic ATF, while the previous readings of 160F were with standard ATF.

If I am not mistaken, I think I read that with synthetic ATF, the ATF temperature could be 30F less than with standard ATF, when towing, I would guess.

Do you think this could be true?

Petanqueur99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.