4R100 from 02 into 99 Super duty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 from 02 into 99 Super duty

I just put an 02 4R100 into my 99. The shifter seems a little hesitant and the indicator needle is off. My wife drives this truck a lot and I don't want her jamming it into the wrong gear.

The Shifter cable and bracket that hold the cable onto the tranny are a little different. The bracket mounts lower on the new one and the linkage itself moves about an inch less on the new one as well. My first guess would be to buy the 02 bracket and cable from the wrecking yard. The problem is no one keeps those. They all throw them away. Who know how long it will be until another one comes in and they remember to keep it for me. Even If I do get one, I fear it will still be wrong on the column since it probably moves farther than the new tranny does on the linkage.

I borrowed the bracket off of my buddies 02 so I have a pattern to make my own bracket, but I fear it will still be a little off at the column.

Can I just take the linkage housing off of the 99 and put it on the 02?

Any suggestions here? Thanks gentlemen!
seanyounk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Re: 4R100 from 02 into 99 Super duty

You might just be able to adjust your linkage to work properly.

Here's the procedure (sorry, no pics available).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" style="height: 150px;"><pre> «1999 F-Super Duty 250-550 Table of Contents»
«Group 3: Powertrain»
«Section 307-05: AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE/TRANSMISSION EXTERNAL CONTROLS»
«GENERAL PROCEDURES»

Cable and Bracket Adjustment — 5.4L, 6.8L, 7.3L Diesel With 4R100
Transmission

1. Place the gearshift lever in the [circled] position.

Place an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever.

2. Raise and support the vehicle; refer to «Section 100-02».

3. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual lever.

4. Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.

5. Place the manual control lever in the [circled] position.

1 Place the manual control lever in the first gear
position.
2 Move the manual control lever two detents to the
[circled] position.

6. Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual
control lever.

7. Lock the transmission shift cable lock tab.

8. Lower the vehicle.

9. Remove the eight pound weight.

10. Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to
detent and compare with transmission settings. Verify that
the vehicle will start in PARK or NEUTRAL and backup lamps
illuminate in REVERSE. If not, Steps 1-5 must be repeated
and include digital TR or TR sensor adjustment in NEUTRAL.
Readjust if necessary.</pre></div></div>

You should be able to use the linkage housing from your old tranny.

I'm no expert in automatics by any means, but they should be essentially the same.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Neither the 02 nor the 99 bracket were quite what I needed. Since the shifter lever and cable are meant to have about an inch longer throw, Park to First gear,than the 02 tranny. I spent several hours analyzing exactly how the linkage on the tranny moved in relation to how the shifter cable was moving. I had already adjusted the cable all the way out. I thought I had it all figured out and I bolted it on but the darn thing would not even go into Park. I was so mad, I cut the holes out with a torch which allowed me to slide the bracket forward 3/8 inch. I bolted it all back on and it works perfectly now. Kind of ironic that I spent all that time measuring everything out exactly and in the end it only took the torch.

I ended up using the 99 bracket and drilling/burning a few holes in it. I bolted the plate to the tranny and then the bracket to the plate. I ended up spacing the bracket out about 5/8 from the plate with some nuts and washers for spacing. I drilled another hole in the bracket and plate so I ended up with three bolts holding it all together for a little more strength. I would have included some pictures but we ruined our digital camera in Puerto Vallarta last week.

Anyone is welcome to E-mail me if you need a picture.
seanyounk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

THere is also an adjustment wheel on the cable that moves the indicator - just remove the kick panel under the wheel and you will see the wheel in the middle of the cable. more for fine tuning...

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.