4R100 Inline transmission filter question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 Inline transmission filter question

My transmission (and van) has 216k on it, the first owner seems to have taken good care of it. I installed a small inline filter (from Ford) inline back in august, had trans flushed at that time also. I don't think flushing the trans does anything to kill it but it may have broken gum loose that might also be plugging the filter. I was searching the posts and read that Ford does not recommend the small inline filter anymore, was required when I replaced another trans a few years back. I suspect a flow issue at the filter when it gets below zero, perhaps due to plugging issues? OD light flashes intermittently when below zero, need to download codes when I get home.

Anyhow, I want to replace the fluid with Mobile1, was happy running this in other trans, and want to add some type of external filter - I would assume a spin on filter would have less flow restriction due to larger internal surface area - would like to know if anyone has suggestions on best filter setup to use, keep in mind that there nowhere to mount anything under the hood, frame mount would be best.

I will be using Marks trans fluid change procedure, used it years back and didn't have any problems.

Will also flush the radiator trans cooler and replace existing trans cooler with a larger cooler during fluid change.

I have also ordered a transmission bypass rebuild kit that I will instal before fluid change. These are cheap enough and might prevent a spill...

One other thing is I have an Edge 15001 that I will install that reads codes (still not sure if the edge will display all codes) and can display the trans temps - how accurate is the existing OEM trans temp sensor? I could install a wired sensor - any suggestion on best place to install aux trans temp gauge?

I plan on installing the edge only for gathering information at this time. Before changing anything in the trans I'm going to get info out of the edge then go from there. A friend of mine is heavy into Ford diesels and he probably has a good reader if the edge does not display codes or to double check.

Once I drop the trans pan and see what condition the magnet is in I'll go from there, if it's hairy I'm planing on putting in the Ford reman HD I have, the reman HD also has the HD TC. The reman has 15k on it.

If I decide on changing out the trans are there any mods that I should think of adding before installing the HD reman? I (mostly the wife) tow a travel trailer (about 7k) about 10 times a year and I don't want problems popping up...

I won't get home for another two weeks and want to get whatever items ordered (external trans filter, etc.) so I can get into it when I get home...

Thanks in advance.
2001 E-350 7.3 Diesel - 247,000, Amsoil 15w 40 or Shell Rotella T6 5w 40 synthetic, New water pump @ 216k, Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler, Bilstein Shocks, Edge 15001 programmer with gauges, AutoEnginuity / Domestic Enhancements, Diamond Eye 4" Performance Exhaust, Delphi CPS, Ford HD Steering Stabilizer kit and Bilstein Stabilizer W0133-1915818, 2003 Telescopic Towing Mirrors!

Last edited by minalba; 01-29-2012 at 11:06 AM.
minalba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry for the long post...
2001 E-350 7.3 Diesel - 247,000, Amsoil 15w 40 or Shell Rotella T6 5w 40 synthetic, New water pump @ 216k, Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler, Bilstein Shocks, Edge 15001 programmer with gauges, AutoEnginuity / Domestic Enhancements, Diamond Eye 4" Performance Exhaust, Delphi CPS, Ford HD Steering Stabilizer kit and Bilstein Stabilizer W0133-1915818, 2003 Telescopic Towing Mirrors!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I suspect Ford quit with the inline filter because of the out of sight out of mind mindset a number of vehicle operaters have. They probably never changed it and suffered the consequences. The filter is supposed to have a pressure bypass, but I'm sure even that could shut down if ignored long enough. I use the Magnefine filters and change them every 15K.

Ken has a do it yourself filter how to: Transmission Filter Install Write-up.pdf

Alternatively, you could get the one from dieselsite: http://www.dieselsite.com/1999-20037...tersystem.aspx

The internal transmission temp sensor is extremely accurate - the problem is the dash gauge doesn't move in a linear fashion, rather steps at certain temp levels. As far as sites for an extra sensor, the test port on the driver's side is the easiest place to put it. Look at picture #13 here: http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-...73gauge-p1.htm

As far as replacement transmissions, the Ford HD is excellent if you don't have any performance mods that will void the warranty. If you do, you might consider a BTS or John Woods.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

Last edited by RT; 01-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks RT. The HD trans I have will be out of warranty in August. I'll probably get the filter, brackets, fittings, hose and go the same route as Ken did. Thanks for all the information it is greatly appreciated.

M
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd go with the Dieselsite kit and then upgrade to a more efficient filter. Eventually that's what I'll do for my ZF6.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the information guys, I ordered the Dieselsite filter kit.

M
Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Another thought about mounting the trans filter. I'm thinking about putting the filter between the radiator trans cooler and the aux trans cooler to prevent clogging of the aux cooler. So the aux cooler would be plumbed straight back to the trans- this raise any flags?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minalba View Post
Another thought about mounting the trans filter. I'm thinking about putting the filter between the radiator trans cooler and the aux trans cooler to prevent clogging of the aux cooler. So the aux cooler would be plumbed straight back to the trans- this raise any flags?
Do you know where in the system Dieselsite recommends you install their kit? I personally think it is smart to hook it up before either cooler. That way you are protecting both coolers from crud.

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
So the aux cooler would be plumbed straight back to the trans- this raise any flags?
Only this concern:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
I personally think it is smart to hook it up before either cooler. That way you are protecting both coolers from crud.
I agree.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree too. So it should go in the hot line feeding the radiator, I agree with that too. Problem is the system never had a filter before I installed one on the cold return. With a used system the cold is logical as it protects the trans. Now I'm installing a new cooler and want to protect that as well. I bought an 18 ounce flush "can" for the rad - I can't believe that will be enough to clear the rad, but if it was then I would put the filter on the hot side an protect the radiator and aux cooler. I don't know the exact route the trans fluid takes through the radiator? does it go through fines like the aux or only through tube in the lower part of the radiator? If it's only a tube I think I could flush it out completely. Or would it be best to flush everything as good as I can, install the large capacity filter on the hot side, and the smaller micron filter on the cool side replacing it every month for 3 months then once a year (maybe put on 10k a year. Could put to large capacity filters on but i don't know where I would the second one, it's a van - LOL
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz View Post
Do you know where in the system Dieselsite recommends you install their kit? I personally think it is smart to hook it up before either cooler. That way you are protecting both coolers from crud.

Griz
Brand new - on the hot side for sure.

Haven't seen and recommendations other than a write up found on this board which has a diagram showing the cold return, which I agree with on an old system. I didn't see anything on dieselsite.

BTW - When I replace the last tarns it was mounted on the cold side, had one installed (another inline) by ford on this van and it to is on the cold side - again makes sense because of past contamination of the cooling system.

M
Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Brand new - on the hot side for sure.

Haven't seen and recommendations other than a write up found on this board which has a diagram showing the cold return, which I agree with on an old system. I didn't see anything on dieselsite.

BTW - When I replace the last tarns it was mounted on the cold side, had one installed (another inline) by ford on this van and it to is on the cold side - again makes sense because of past contamination of the cooling system.

M
If your new Dieselsite filtration system doesn't show it mounted on the Hot side...I would call and ask if they see any problems doing that. The only thing I can think of is the filter might not be designed to handle the temperatures of the Hot fluid...but I doubt that should be an issue.

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
I don't know the exact route the trans fluid takes through the radiator? does it go through fines like the aux or only through tube in the lower part of the radiator? If it's only a tube I think I could flush it out completely.
The trans cooler is a coiled tube inside the tank on the radiator. It does not go through the tubes that you can see in the radiator.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The trans cooler is a coiled tube inside the tank on the radiator. It does not go through the tubes that you can see in the radiator.
Thanks Mark, It's thumbs up on that! I'll flush the heck out of it and on the hot side it goes! I'll put an inline on the cold side for a few months after that just in case and then remove it.

Griz - I'll see what the kit says, if it says the cold side I'll contact dieselsite and ask what's up, the filter should take the heat but will ask just in case!

I'm more worried about this trans (216k) throwing debris into the cooling system, then I'll need to replace the aux cooler again when I put the HD trans in, filter on hot side would eliminate that concern...

Thanks guys - M
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Mark, It's thumbs up on that! I'll flush the heck out of it and on the hot side it goes! I'll put an inline on the cold side for a few months after that just in case and then remove it.

Griz - I'll see what the kit says, if it says the cold side I'll contact dieselsite and ask what's up, the filter should take the heat but will ask just in case!

I'm more worried about this trans (216k) throwing debris into the cooling system, then I'll need to replace the aux cooler again when I put the HD trans in, filter on hot side would eliminate that concern...

Thanks guys - M
I totally agree...it makes sense to me to put it on Hot side. Why plug up your coolers with crud if you have a way to prevent it. I am not sure why most people put their filters on the return loop. Maybe they are concerned about crud breaking loose inside the coolers and getting into the transmission.

Griz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.