The Diesel Stop banner

4r100 input shaft help!!

10K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  kylanhorst 
#1 ·
I just stripped my input shaft on the converter side. I noticed that the input doesn't sit all the way in the converter could I possibly need a longer one? The shaft only stripped about 1/2"to 5/8" inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I don't know that you could find a longer input shaft even if you wanted to. Mark will be along shortly, but he's going to want some information. Was this the first time the transmission has been off? All original parts - original torque converter? If not, what parts where changed and by whom? What were you doing when it stripped? Pictures would be nice.

#3 ·
I wanted to upload a pic but wasn't allowed. When it happened I just turned right from a dead stop and one block down I lost all power. I found one I removed the tranny the shaft was stripped. I also found shaft that are 14 1/8 long and 13 5/8 long shafts. I don't know if it was original or not I bought the truck with 150,000 miles I have 200k now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Do you know if it has a steel planetary that the shaft goes into? I have never seen a convertor strip the splines off the end of the input shaft. I have seen the planetary break where the shafts goes in(aluminum) this was why they changed it to steel and they also made the shaft longer.

#17 ·
See if a magnet will stick to it.

#18 ·
On a obs 7.3 the flexplate is cracked up badly. The input shaft was tight in the converter, and the a 1/8 inch on the end in converter is rounded any ideas what went wrong and is the converter junk as well as shaft. It was still driving fine, just needed to replace flexplate, because the starter was not catching it, because it was so out of whack